Exercise brain-boost may be due simply to increasing brain selenium levels

redsun

Got it. I use the same Cronometer app. Must be the egg brand then. Do you mind sharing which egg brand you are putting? The organic pasture eggs I get (Vital Farms) show "no data" in Cronometer.

Thanks again!
Dont put egg brands. Just put egg or ground beef or white rice. Just put the actual name. There is virtually no difference between different egg brands or brands of unprocessed meat in regards to micronutrient content. There is also raw and cooked versions of these foods on cronometer as well which you need to specify.

tastyfood

Dont put egg brands. Just put egg or ground beef or white rice. Just put the actual name. There is virtually no difference between different egg brands or brands of unprocessed meat in regards to micronutrient content. There is also raw and cooked versions of these foods on cronometer as well which you need to specify.

Great tip! I was able to find the egg entry with selenium data. Great addition to my daily tracking. I'll keep looking for more generic options for other things.

Sapien

This Peat quote seems relevant so posting here:

“Cytochrome oxidase in the brain can also be increased by mental stimulation, learning, and moderate exercise, but excessive exercise or the wrong kind of exercise (“eccentric”) can lower it, probably by increasing the stress hormones and free fatty acids.

So perhaps there are other brain benefits other than the selenium. (Although cytoC O might be related to selenium not sure)

Osukhan

thought this was interesting to go along with selenium
Dr James Dinicolantonio is a big fan of Inositol

Limon9

This Peat quote seems relevant so posting here:

“Cytochrome oxidase in the brain can also be increased by mental stimulation, learning, and moderate exercise, but excessive exercise or the wrong kind of exercise (“eccentric”) can lower it, probably by increasing the stress hormones and free fatty acids.

So perhaps there are other brain benefits other than the selenium. (Although cytoC O might be related to selenium not sure)
Ray Peat remarked in an email that even a minute of low-intensity weightlifting would beneficially affect things. On the seafood front, perhaps the high taurine content can spare serine, which subsequently goes towards becoming sphingomyelin?

Jonk

There is also raw and cooked versions of these foods on cronometer as well which you need to specify.
Is it only because of the weight difference? For example, I'm putting in the raw version of meats because it's easier to know the weight beforehand, but I'm obviously eating it cooked.

redsun

Is it only because of the weight difference? For example, I'm putting in the raw version of meats because it's easier to know the weight beforehand, but I'm obviously eating it cooked.
Yes if you try to input the raw weight value of a food as the cooked version instead of the raw version, the values will be off.

Kray

Do you think there is a recommended amount of selenium per day that could be taken from food? Or is it more of a "per week" situation?
Reading up on selenium, one thing that strikes me is that any food sources would necessarily need naturally high selenium in the soil (assuming the food source is fro same locale). Would eggs be included in that, even pastured hens if the soil they eat from is low in Se, such as is known in PNW and other geographic areas? Not to mention milk from pastured cows in Se-poor soils? Something to keep in mind when deciding to supplement or not.

lvysaur

I wonder what % of this effect is due not simply to exercise, but also the novelty of the exercise. A mouse will find a running wheel very entertaining if it never had one. But after a certain amount of time it loses its novelty

Sapien

Perhaps a greater factor than brain selenium is the impact of exercise on the endocannabinoid system. Peat has spoke favorably of “anandamide” an endogenous cb1 agonist similar to thc. many scientists claim cb1 stimulation from anadamide is the sole mechanism behind the so called “Runners high“.

This is contrary to the view of the runners high being attributed to endorphins (which peat is not a fan of)

Sapien

neurogenesis
The role of cannabinoids in adult neurogenesis

“Indeed, cannabinoids have clear modulatory roles in adult neurogenesis, probably through activation of both CB1 and CB2 receptors. In recent years, a large body of literature has deciphered the signalling networks involved in cannabinoid-mediated regulation of neurogenesis.

This timely review summarizes the evidence that the cannabinoid system is intricately associated with neuronal differentiation and maturation of NPCs and highlights intrinsic/extrinsic signalling mechanisms that are cannabinoid targets.

Overall, these findings identify the central role of the cannabinoid system in adult neurogenesis in the hippocampus and the lateral ventricles and hence provide insight into the processes underlying post-developmental neurogenesis in the mammalian brain.”

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals