Exercise brain-boost may be due simply to increasing brain selenium levels

cs3000

A recent article

interesting one
so exercise -> 2x increase in selenium transporter selenoprotein (SEPP1) -> more selenium transported into the brain = BDNF neurogenesis boost

SEPP1 transports the most selenium in the blood and is responsible for transporting selenium across the BBB via the receptor LRP8

& cool how it worked just by increasing dietary intake too. selenoLmethionine form

cs3000

Post on dosing for maximum sepp1 saturation

(SEPP1 spikes higher in the first month with more supplementation, but it comes down to baseline to saturated ~5.4mg/L sepp1 , regardless of selenium levels continuing to rise in plasma . Suggesting ~150mcg total daily selenium intake is enough for this, selenolmethionine form if supplementing - or more if you want that temporary spike)

Last edited:

tastyfood

What's a good selenium amount to strive for from food every day? Very few foods have it, at least according to the nutritional databases. In Cronometer, I only see selenium show values for seafood, liver, and mushrooms, from the foods that I eat.

SamYo123

What's a good selenium amount to strive for from food every day? Very few foods have it, at least according to the nutritional databases. In Cronometer, I only see selenium show values for seafood, liver, and mushrooms, from the foods that I eat.
eggs

David PS

Here are some other sources of selenium. For the most part it depends on the soil content of selenium.

@Roni123@ look this post about selenium. I am taking “castanha do Pará” it’s supposed to have good amounts of Selenium since I’m not eating beef kidney

Roni123@

@Roni123@ look this post about selenium. I am taking “castanha do Pará” it’s supposed to have good amounts of Selenium since I’m not eating beef kidney
I think you should replace Brazil nuts with a selenium supplement, the supplement does not need to be taken daily at all. twice a week is fine.

the Brazil nut has many puffs

how is the progress?

tastyfood

I think you should replace Brazil nuts with a selenium supplement, the supplement does not need to be taken daily at all. twice a week is fine.

the Brazil nut has many puffs

how is the progress?

Do you think there is a recommended amount of selenium per day that could be taken from food? Or is it more of a "per week" situation?

tastyfood

I tried that app and I think it lacks data/not accurate

For a lot of things, I'm with you. I think it's still useful directionally for most of the nutrients. I wish it considered things like the magnesium in coffee though, among other things.

Roni123@

I get really smart when I consume selenium a few times a week daily feeding provides a reasonable amount, supplementation 1.2 x week would solve any deficiency

Inaut

I take selenomethionine and eat oysters frequently. I think 200 mcg of selenium is a good thing to take daily (at least for a while)
I get really smart when I consume selenium a few times a week daily feeding provides a reasonable amount, supplementation 1.2 x week would solve any deficiency

tastyfood

I take selenomethionine and eat oysters frequently. I think 200 mcg of selenium is a good thing to take daily (at least for a while)

How do you get to 200 mcg daily with just food? A serving of shrimps gave me 40 mcg yesterday according to Cronometer. I don't think one should eat 200 mcg worth of shrimp or seafood every day. All the other foods have low amount of selenium, if any.

Without taking a supplement, what's a viable path? Looks like two eggs could give you another 40mcg potentially?

redsun

How do you get to 200 mcg daily with just food? A serving of shrimps gave me 40 mcg yesterday according to Cronometer. I don't think one should eat 200 mcg worth of shrimp or seafood every day. All the other foods have low amount of selenium, if any.

Without taking a supplement, what's a viable path? Looks like two eggs could give you another 40mcg potentially?
I average 220 mcg of selenium daily with most of it from chicken thighs, rice, eggs. Meat is probably the best common food source (seafood, organs, and brazil nuts have more but are not commonly consumed) so if you eat plenty of meat and a little bit of the other animal products like eggs, it should be no issue getting plenty of selenium.

Its okay for a short time if your intake is low but be wary not to give yourself selenosis which you can get from supplements or from brazil nuts easily.

Last edited:

tastyfood

I average 220 mcg of selenium daily with most of it from chicken thighs, rice, eggs. Meat is probably the best common food source (seafood, organs, and brazil nuts have more but are not commonly consumed) so if you eat plenty of meat and a little bit of the other animal products like eggs, it should be no issue getting plenty of selenium.

Are you measuring it via Cronometer or similar, or is this an estimation? I think I have a selenium deficiency that's why I'm keen on monitoring exact intake from food for a while.

Thanks for all the comments!

redsun

Are you measuring it via Cronometer or similar, or is this an estimation? I think I have a selenium deficiency that's why I'm keen on monitoring exact intake from food for a while.

Thanks for all the comments!
I use cronometer. It has data on eggs so I dont know what kind of cronometer your looking at. Its 15 mcg per large egg.

tastyfood

I use cronometer. It has data on eggs so I dont know what kind of cronometer your looking at. Its 15 mcg per large egg.

Got it. I use the same Cronometer app. Must be the egg brand then. Do you mind sharing which egg brand you are putting? The organic pasture eggs I get (Vital Farms) show "no data" in Cronometer.

Thanks again!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals