Cautionary Tale / Eat Selenium

Luann

Or don't poop for days.

Just a little bit will do; 1 can of tuna, 70% RDA, fixed me.

BobbyDukes

Me too. It's my favourite time of the day. I even downloaded 'ipoop' from the App store, so i would never be far away from my favourite place (any pooper is good for me). It basically just tells you where the nearest pooper is from your current location. I love it.

As for selenium, milk contains a good amount. So does liver. So does some low PUFA fish, like cod/haddock/shrimp, etc. Oysters may do (but can't remember).

Or don't poop for days.

Just a little bit will do; 1 can of tuna, 70% RDA, fixed me.

How do you know it was selenium that fixed it?

milk_lover

They are good tuna cans with very little PUFA. I don't think you get a lot of PUFA if you drain the can. Tuna is best served fried (of course not in a PUFA oil) with hot peppers and eaten above white rice. It's very tasty. There is the risk of mercury that Peat talked about. But if you do it from time to time I don't think it would be a big problem.

Travis

Yes. There are many thyroid enzymes that depend on selenium. This is a much needed element.

OP
Luann

Luann

Er, several reasons, all of them the taste of liver. Lol.

raypeatclips

@Liubo Have you tried a different source of liver? Supermarket liver which has been sealed up is disgusting, especially the smell when you first open the packet. I have found liver from the butchers is almost sweet and much more palatable (And funnily enough, a quarter of the price of the supermarket liver)

tara

@Liubo Have you tried a different source of liver? Supermarket liver which has been sealed up is disgusting, especially the smell when you first open the packet. I have found liver from the butchers is almost sweet and much more palatable (And funnily enough, a quarter of the price of the supermarket liver)
It really pays to look at it - it should be dark red, not at all greyish. If possible also find out how old it is. There is the world of difference between delicious fresh liver and unpalatable stale liver. I've found it fresh in local supermarkets sometimes but not always, and same with local butchers.

lvysaur

It really pays to look at it - it should be dark red, not at all greyish.

It should also not be greenish or brownish, just a very vibrant red, or if calf's liver, pink.

I don't think the color matters for vacuum sealed jars though, as raypeatclips mentioned.

tara

It should also not be greenish or brownish, just a very vibrant red, or if calf's liver, pink.
Yes.
I haven't seen any vacuum sealed jars. I guess the date is relevant then.

raypeatclips

It really pays to look at it - it should be dark red, not at all greyish. If possible also find out how old it is. There is the world of difference between delicious fresh liver and unpalatable stale liver. I've found it fresh in local supermarkets sometimes but not always, and same with local butchers.

Oh yeah, sometimes there is only grey/green liver at the supermarket, butchers is always red.

BastiFuntasty

All it needs are coconut products from Latin America, one analysis lists more than 1000 mcg of selenium per 100g of dried coconut. I can't find a source here in Europe but you in America should have options on this.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals