Building This Physique?

tomisonbottom

sladerunner69 said:
Focus on diet, like high protein peatarian, sleep, daily long walks and low frequency resistance training sessions like BodyByScience or Doggcrapp. I recommend the former for those seeking a program prioritizing metabolic health while the latter is a tried and true bodybuilding regimen focusing on aesthetics while perhaps compromising overall health to some extent. Once you get your thyroid straightened out and your metabolism humming through basic Peat principles you should be able to increase training frequency (reduce time between lifting workouts) without sacrificing adequate recovery.

Hey Sladerunner69, you mentioned long walks as a part of getting built..............how long of walks are we talking?
And do you mind elaborating on the idea and method behind that?
Thanks!

Mittir

In Josh Rubin Q and A final interview at 15 min RP mentioned a study where 40 min of walking on treadmill
where Heart rate did not go above 120 ,T3 dropped to 0. He also explained how exercise affects different
person depending on glycogen, PUFA storage and thyroid function. He also mentioned many other reasons for not doing
intense exercise except for concentric exercise and yoga. Biking uphill is a concentric exercise.
I always believed that one has to do some form of exercise to build muscle. But i build muscle
following RP style eating without doing any kind of exercise, not even walking.

tomisonbottom

Mittir, yeah, I know about not doing aerobic exercise and long distance running, etc., I was just wondering what the significance of the "long walks" are specifically; like if he knew about some study showing walking for more than 40 minutes had a certain result.

About the interview you mentioned, am I to understand just walking can reduce T3 to nothing? Was he saying you shouldn't even walk? That can't be.

sladerunner69

tomisonbottom said:
Hey Sladerunner69, you mentioned long walks as a part of getting built..............how long of walks are we talking?
Thanks!

Sure thing. I believe to benefit from it you need to do at least 1-2 sessions for 20-30 minutes, along with controlled deep breathing. Humans are essentially walking machines so I don't think there's an upper limit to the amount of walking that should be done, as long as your getting enough calories. The deep, slow breathing is important because it enhances the walk's effect of lowering cortisol. I do 4 secs in 4 out through my nose only. The anti-stress effect of these walks will in turn probably increase testosterone, so in that sense walking will support muscle mass. But more important to me is that walking will help keep body-fat at bay during a bulk. The rationale is that slow-moderate paced walking burns body fat almost exclusively, where as sustained endurance training like jogging and most sports burn a lot of muscle for energy, because of elevated stress hormones. I look at walking as an invaluable tool in staying strong and lean, especially when your consuming upwards of 4000 calories a day.

sladerunner69

tomisonbottom said:
Mittir, yeah, I know about not doing aerobic exercise and long distance running, etc., I was just wondering what the significance of the "long walks" are specifically; like if he knew about some study showing walking for more than 40 minutes had a certain result.

About the interview you mentioned, am I to understand just walking can reduce T3 to nothing? Was he saying you shouldn't even walk? That can't be.
Mittir said:
In Josh Rubin Q and A final interview at 15 min RP mentioned a study where 40 min of walking on treadmill
where Heart rate did not go above 120 ,T3 dropped to 0. He also explained how exercise affects different
person depending on glycogen, PUFA storage and thyroid function. He also mentioned many other reasons for not doing
intense exercise except for concentric exercise and yoga. Biking uphill is a concentric exercise.
I always believed that one has to do some form of exercise to build muscle. But i build muscle
following RP style eating without doing any kind of exercise, not even walking.

Any kind of physical exercise can quickly deplete glycogen and then suppress thyroid, so it's important to sip a sugary drink during training, and not to train for too long. I drink a lot of orange juice throughout the day and take easy walks , usually not for longer than 30-45 minutes. Even some of the more demanding styles of yoga can be on par with jogging in terms of stress and glycogen depletion-I go for the "restorative yoga" when I do take a class.

tomisonbottom

sladerunner69 said:
tomisonbottom said:
Thanks!

Sure thing. I believe to benefit from it you need to do at least 1-2 sessions for 20-30 minutes, along with controlled deep breathing. Humans are essentially walking machines so I don't think there's an upper limit to the amount of walking that should be done, as long as your getting enough calories. The deep, slow breathing is important because it enhances the walk's effect of lowering cortisol. I do 4 secs in 4 out through my nose only. The anti-stress effect of these walks will in turn probably increase testosterone, so in that sense walking will support muscle mass. But more important to me is that walking will help keep body-fat at bay during a bulk. The rationale is that slow-moderate paced walking burns body fat almost exclusively, where as sustained endurance training like jogging and most sports burn a lot of muscle for energy, because of elevated stress hormones. I look at walking as an invaluable tool in staying strong and lean, especially when your consuming upwards of 4000 calories a day.

Great, thank you.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals