Football (Soccer) From A Personal And Peatarian Perspective

PTP

At first glance, football runs counter to a Peatarian view of healthy exercise. 90 minutes of constant movement , a lot of jogging, jumping, high intensity sprinting, it definitely is a stressor upon the body, and many professional footballers have serious heart conditions, with a couple having suffered heart attacks on the field.

However, I think it has a lot of positives also. The movements are almost all concentric. It requires skill and co-ordination, engaging the brain. It builds very strong leg muscles. It's a very social sport. It's also quite pro-sugar. In England, where I am from, it was always common to have a few slices of an orange at half-time (you sucked them dry so you didn't even get the fiber, very Peaty). Now it's more about energy drinks such as lucozade, which have high amounts of sugar and caffeine (probably some horrible highly carcinogenic chemicals also). It may also help to optimise hormonal balance, with testosterone increasing after a game - Soccer Proven To Be Natural Testosterone Booster

I know there are many negatives. With all the focus on the legs, it can build an unbalanced body. Being a long and addictive game, it can lead to overuse injuries. It is also quite physical and potentially dangerous with people sliding at high speeds near other people's legs, contesting the ball in the air can lead to head injuries from clashing with other people's heads. Being a competitive sport it can also lead to actual violence and fighting.

The goalkeeper position is a very different experience. Cardio-wise, they do so little that they are probably safe from the negative effects. But psychologically it's a more difficult position, goalies go through the game shifting through states of boredom and high stress, spending it in isolation. They are also blamed for any mistakes more than any other player, at an amateur level it's always difficult to find people that want to play this position.

My personal experience with the game is that I have been playing it since I was a child. As an un-coordinated kid, it helped me develop co-ordination and spatial awareness. I became quite good (within my peer groups) and gained satisfaction from representing my schools in competition. I developed very strong and muscular legs through the game. As a nerdy kid, football got my outside and playing on the grass. Peat has talked about how important play is for a child's development. Most importantly, I love the game and playing it was always a thrill. I did suffer the negatives also, my hamstrings are tight and weak as a result of all that running, I suffered a broken finger from someone stepping on it (by accident) as I lay sprawled on the ground, overuse injuries from weakened muscles in my foot, came close to getting in fights over disputes on the field. And my upperbody is far weaker relative to my lower body as a result of the game.

So there are many positives and negatives. It is probably too intense from a Peatarian perspective on exercise, yet I think it offers many benefits over things such as long-distance running etc. There is a reason it's the most popular sport in the world. Personally, I still play about once a week and enjoy it, but I can see myself pulling away as I age, mainly to protect my knees from all the impact.

Simonsays

This is all very good PTP, but its known testosterone levels are highest amongst fans of a team that has just won and plummets in those fans of defeated teams.

With Euro 2016 fast approaching, being an England fan is going to play havoc with my testosterone levels (again) ! They are shockingly low now.

It comes as no surprise that Germany is such a successful country on and off the pitch, theyre overflowing with testosterone!

The social aspect of team sport is much under appreciated.

Unfortunately i had to stop playing at 27, as i was getting serious joint pain in my kness, hips etc, which i thought was early arthritis, little did i know it was a symptom of my yet to be diagnosed hypothyroidism. I seriously missed the crack and the banter more than the actual game.

The up side (if there is one) , is that many of my contemporaries in their late 40s/early 50s now have serious joint deterioration and pain through overuse. I know some are just addicted to it and will do anything to keep playing.

but I can see myself pulling away as I age, mainly to protect my knees from all the impact.

Very wise, but what are you going to replace it with??

Makrosky

At first glance, football runs counter to a Peatarian view of healthy exercise. 90 minutes of constant movement , a lot of jogging, jumping, high intensity sprinting, it definitely is a stressor upon the body, and many professional footballers have serious heart conditions, with a couple having suffered heart attacks on the field.

Ray considers mind/body indisoluble and things that are funny, challenging, stimulant like a football match are very good for the body.

Some people has died of a heart attack while playing and millions of people die of boredom also.

OP
P

PTP

Very wise, but what are you going to replace it with??

Depends on my situation and where I live. Weight-lifting, calisthenics and walking will probably be my main options for exercise after football. Playing with a dog assuming I have one and a nearby park also, surfing if I end up living near a beach with good waves (which I would like), perhaps also yoga and dancing. I don't expect to do all those activities, but I expect that many of them can be done for a long time safely (assuming nothing is pushed too far).

CoolTweetPete

Ray considers mind/body indisoluble and things that are funny, challenging, stimulant like a football match are very good for the body.

I agree that the novelty and stimulation of sports gives while the exertion simultaneously takes. On sunny days, I play basketball by myself, which helps avoid overdoing it. It's not as stimulating as when I play with people, but there is still something so visceral about the ball going in.

Some people has died of a heart attack while playing and millions of people die of boredom also.

:lol: ZING!

Jason

the problem with soccer is the mini concussions you get from using your head against the force of the ball

i've started to slow down with using my head at all, all those sub concussive blows can not be good for brain health

ddjd

Whats a good way to improve energy on the pitch? Good pre match nutrition?

Wagner83

I have incredible fun playing soccer often, but I feel like I go overboard, the fun can make one push himself a lot. For me I think it could be related to gut health, e. G. one day out of nowhere I ran very easily (I had eaten less, vut had potatoes not too long before ) , then a few days later I tried to run again and got out of breath way too quickly. I suspect that some foods make me really crap at running, breathing but also worsen post-nasal drip. I'm considering strategies to recover well : dietary cholesterol, vitamic c, potassium; as well as smarter strategies before (see baking soda loading thread).

Given all the information on exercising raising ffas, ray saying slightly too much thyroid makes him breathless while walking , athletes having awful metabolism but great performances, jamesiv saying he leaves the field and jogs home while his friends gasp for sugar I've been wondering about the impact of a higher metabolism on sports performance other than short lived short bursts of high intensity.
By high metabolism I also mean sugar-adapted, low-fat intake.

Last edited: