Low Protein Days = Less Hair Fall The Following Morning / Day ??? What Could Explain This?

MarcelZD

I have noticed the same thing: high protein contributes to diffuse thinning. My guess would be that excess methionine exacerbates oxidative stress. Hair loss is a quite complex issue unfortunately, so one has to experiment.

LadyRae

Hi Sergey - I do often use B complex supplements (pure encapsulations presently, due to the Niacinamide ingredient rather than Nicotinamide). The complex contains a high dose of B5 and a moderate dose of B7.

Very interesting - thanks for these. I've had to take some time away to digest (ha!) this information - as I say, it's not something I've ever thought about. But perhaps some careful experimenting is in order. FYI I've never taken antacids or the like.

Hi Lady Rae. I'm glad your experiment is going well so far. But there are definitely certain aminos that we need to be getting in certain quantities. I think methionine restriction in a lab settings has yielded interesting results in terms of life-span enhancing etc., but in a more practical setting (reality / nature), it is quite difficult to restrict methionine without getting deficiencies in the other essential aminos.

I saw a video from Hans some while back, where he talks about counter-studies showing that: as long as methionine is appropriately balanced with glycine (e.g. gelatinous cuts), then the life-span enhancing properties to the methionine-restricted mice vs. the life span of the mice with normal methionine levels matched with glycine, were not discernible or observable.

I don't really know if this counter-study is true, and I certainly wouldn't disregard your experience of reduced hair fall on a low methionine / high glycine diet - but it seems to me that there is a balance to be made. I think a zero methionine diet would, by extension, be (almost) vegan - whilst some animal products would be consumed, the general ill-health that all vegans seem to experience after any moderate length of time on the diet would probably occur with heavy methionine restriction. i.e. from a lack of key amino acids and absorbable b vitamins.

Hi Vito, how's Joe? I do keep Calcium high enough to match my daily Phosphorus intake, at least 1 Ca : 1 P. However, I do this via calcium carbonate supps and not from dairy - I don't tolerate dairy well at all, as mentioned above. Many thanks though!
I agree completely that the balance is key. I do have a whole animal protein at breakfast and then the hydrolyzed gelatin throughout the day. Maybe I forgot to mention the breakfast....

VitoScaletta

Hi Vito, how's Joe? I do keep Calcium high enough to match my daily Phosphorus intake, at least 1 Ca : 1 P. However, I do this via calcium carbonate supps and not from dairy - I don't tolerate dairy well at all, as mentioned above. Many thanks though!
Joe? You mean Joe Barbaro? Haven't seen him since '51.

I believe one reason dairy products are superior is that protein increases Calcium absorption. So maybe eat your CC with some eggs / low iron meats (canned tuna, pork).
An alternative in your situation would be lactofermented products, I can't eat dairy aswell so my choices are limited, but I eat once a day some cheese along with eggshell powder (basically 99% Calcium Carbonate so same thing). The best cheese is real Parmigiano Reggiano in my opinion, least additives and best quality, and also highest Calcium content at 1,000 mg per 100g. I would recommend to eat it with some dates/fruits/honey and also Oxtail soup or any Gelatinous soup or Gelatin itself, because cheese esp. aged cheese like Parmesan has a lot of excitatory chemicals in it and also a lot of Tryptophan (most content out of any food in-fact), and the amino-acid profile of Gelatin counters these things, this is especially important if you eat this cheese before bed, some say eating aged cheese before bed can make it difficult to sleep. Combining Cheese + CC / eggshell powder + gelatinous soup seems good and that's what I do personally, lots of protein to make the Calcium absorb more and also the gelatin counters some of the aminos in the cheese and excitatory chemicals.

besides cheese there's also yogurt and kefir, I haven't really researched yogurt in depth but I don't like it personally. So the best and cheapest option I settled on for a food with a good Calcium content is kefir. I will look into getting some kefir grains from a facebook group in my country and make my own kefir and see how it goes. I would recommend to look into this as well, I heard a ton of good things about kefir and maybe it can be useful to you sir.

Bare in mind the more dietary Calcium you consume hypothetically the more Magnesium you need to consume aswell to keep the ratio of Mg : Ca close to 0.25 ideally 0.5, any higher I heard it's unrealistic, but I dont know.

Magnesium foods:
Low Magnesium content, 0 oxalate: well-boiled kale
Medium Magnesium content that adds up, 0-very low Oxalate foods: Ripe fruit, orange juice.
High Magnesium content, low-medium oxalates foods: Buckwheat, dates and dark chocolate.

Sidenotes:

With fruit, don't eat the seeds of any of them. For example Kiwi, it gets listed as having quite a bit of Oxalate content relative to being a fruit, but all of it is in the seeds, cut the kiwi in to two and take seeds out the middle part with a spoon.
Another thing; oranges, mandarins, clementines etc. don't eat the white pulp. It has some Oxalate, the juice itself has no Oxalate. This is why OJ has 1-3mg of Oxalate while Oranges have like 50+mg, because the pulp is filtered out.

With buckwheat, I recommend boiling it for quite a bit. Put buckwheat in a pot and put twice as much water as there is buckwheat, close the lid and boil on high heat until all water is taken up, add more water this time same level as buckwheat and stir the bottom layer of buckwheat so it doesn't burn then wait until the water is gone once more. Add water again, slightly higher level then buckwheat, and let it boil at a lower heat setting. Stir the bottom layer of the buckwheat well so it doesn't burn. That's how I prepare mine, while traditionally buckwheat is boiled for like 15 minutes and it's done, I do for around 1 hour.

DiabloQueso

Could be free test related. Some guys lose hair due to scalp testosterone rather than DHT.

If you want to test this, eat eggs for breakfast on an empty stomach for a few days. It should cause an uptick in shedding if it's free test.