Berries

Beebop

I understand that Ray Peat recommends not eating any fruit where you can't avoid the seeds because the seeds are high in PUFA.

Every summer we have an enormous crop of ripe berries of all kinds in the garden because they grow very well here.
Considering that garden fruit is the best, most ripe, safest etc, I don't want to mis out on all the nice fructose inside those berries.
Oranges, watermelons and lychees will always be transported from afar :(
Mangoes only ever taste like parsnips :lol:

Thoughts/questions:

Seeds are designed to not be digested by the mammal, and just to pass through. If one were to avoid chewing the seeds, would this avoid digestion of the PUFA inside them? Would the seeds cause any other problems?

Maybe the best use of them would be cooking and straining. But they taste best when fresh from the bush!
I could experiment with mashing them raw and straining the seeds...

What do you reckon?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I dont think the PUFA in the seed is the problem. I think it's because the seed does not get digested and then irritates the intestine causing serotonin to be released.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

OP
Beebop

Beebop

Interesting. How does the seed irritate the intestines? There must be a chemical interaction...?

Ingenol

Beebop said:
Interesting. How does the seed irritate the intestines? There must be a chemical interaction...?
I was under the impression it's the physical action of the undigested seeds as they pass through.

OP
Beebop

Beebop

Ingenol said:
I was under the impression it's the physical action of the undigested seeds as they pass through.

Did you read that somewhere?

Jenn

Diverticulitis is a very real problem with some people. The seeds get stuck in pockets in the intestines. Not everyone is going to have that problem, but some people have so many other issues, they don't know they have a problem with it until the other stuff gets healed up.

I don't know that it's something to be paranoid about, but it's something to be aware of.

OP
Beebop

Beebop

I will look up diverticulitis - thanks. So Pufa-wise, unless we chew the seeds, we're safe?

Ingenol

Beebop said:
Ingenol said:

Did you read that somewhere?
Yes, although unfortunately I cannot remember where. It was certainly not an extensive study, though!

Dan W

I wonder about this too; I love berries.

In addition to your ideas for straining, Beebop, I wonder if it would be effective to create light smoothies where the seeds tend to fall to the bottom.

Violet

Undoubtedly my favourite fruit, but what does Peat think of them?! I cant find his opinion anywhere.

Mittir

He is generally against fruits whose seeds can not be thrown away.
Seeds are rich in PUFA and other defensive toxic chemicals.
Nutritiondata shows 100 grams of Raspberries has 52 calories and 375 mg of PUFA.
100 grams of orange juice has 45 calories and 40 mg of PUFA.
Just from PUFA content, raspberries can not replace OJ.
Raspberries also have all kind of phytochemicals .
I tried straining seeds from crushed Strawberries using cheesecloth.

Violet

Noooooooo - don't take my raspberries!!!

;)

Thanks for the reply Mittir!

Dan W

Mittir, did the straining strawberry seeds work well? I miss berries.

pboy

compared to almost every other fruit, raspberries are a solid nutritional source...one of the only fruits worthy or eating imo. I've heard Peat say that, in the case of tomatoes, and figs I believe, the seeds will harmlessly pass through but if chewed they can release irritants to the GI tract (probably why most fruits are laxatives). Probably not the biggest deal...personally I don't like having GI irritants so I eat only as much fruit necessary to prevent scurvy (lol). Juicing or lighyly chewing is probably the best way, according to Peat's principles, but I can't comment from personal experience

Mittir

Dan Wich said:
Mittir, did the straining strawberry seeds work well? I miss berries.
It did remove a lot of seeds. I like the taste of strawberry but it does bother my allergy.
I believe there are other issues in strawberry.

sara n.

Strawberries, black berries, oranges and orange juice, pineapple, plums, raisins and many other fruits are either high histamine content, or promote mast cell release of histamine.
http://chronichives.com/useful-informat ... foodsource
You don't necessarily have to have overt external hives to have histamine/mast cell problems. There is such a thing as intestinal hives and angioedema........etc, etc.

Mittir

Strawberry is one those fruits that is implicated in histamine release.
But i do not have that problem with citrus or pineapple.
Strawberry is a goitrogen. I think i have read other bad things
about strawberry. I gave up strawberry long time ago I thought
straining might make a difference.

Greg says

Screen Shot 2016-03-12 at 20.23.39.png

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals