phosphorus intake

pboy

we all here know that a calcium score near or above phosphorus is necessary, but im beginning to think that even so, you don't want Ph intake to be that high. Its been a puzzle to me why I felt the best I ever have when I was a vegan years back eating mostly fruit. Since then I wrecked my health via stress and not eating or sleeping enough (I was lucky to get in 2k cal and sleep more than 4 hours a night for about a year, so I lost like 30 lbs and ect ect, fcked things UP), to recover a vegan diet wouldn't do. Id eat nuts and whatever else for protein and a lto of fruit juice and never could get weight back, basically my digestion was messed up...everything would rush through, although now I blame a lot of that on low quality and shwaggy bottled fruit juice. Anyways, I added dairy and eggs initially, gained like...within 2 months or something I gained all the weight back but still felt ***t...probably average for an American, but ***t for me. Slowly improved for the next year and a half, and eventually got into a comfortable rythmn, dumped out alcohol and various other anti nutritious materials, including coffee ...at some point I couldn't stand the sour bitter palate and it stained the eff out of my teeth. Anyways, throughout this whole time ive come to major conclusions and how various ratios matter and many things, and most of what Peat says ive incorporated, however, ive fine tuned many things that I guess are like crazy perfectionist but that's wahts required in this world and to recover from what id been through / manage the years of backed up stress and other stuff in my own personal life. Probably like last fall I thought id hit that dope point where I was rolling and had diet down, but it wasn't quite balanced..like id have to keep making adjustments every day, so 1-2 days could be boss, then something tipped. Fast forward to now, I even started experiementing with cooking again, and it went well...only thing would be like white rice and cucumbers and light things like that, but theres this like perpetual nag that wont go away in lower back. Basically fatigue, or rather like..a hyper stimulation followed by either a adrenalien through it or pass out kind of thing, basically until bowel all clear for the day, which sometimes is really early, sometimes not til like the afternoon. Urine flow seems slow, like ill get clammy sweaty before I urinate which Is weird. One thing back when I was high fruit eating vegan, id piss like I was drunk all day...and a connection ive made is really like...your life flows as your urine flows, and mood is correlated...part of why drinking helps people. For a period of time I was getting remarkably good results drinking a lot of dilute sake throughout the day. So I was researching recently...I made a connection that excess calcium per fluid ratio causes like...issues to say the least, but I figured what ive been consuming...something like 13-15% per cup was ok, of course balanced above Phosphorus. After looking at a lot of nutrition data, ive realized in nature, this is kind of impossible to happen without either dark greens, the kind that are really bitter and unpalatable anyways, or with milk from a cow or another animal. Human milk has 8% calcium per cup fluid, most fruit is in the 2-8% range, the only leafy green id eat back when I was a vegan (btw this is a huge sign towards intuitive eating...I was the healthiest and felt best I ever have back then...if wasn't for the many stresses in my life at the time, basically ***t living conditions, having to overwork cause I had no or very little financial help, and stuff like that, id have continued it and not have lost weight, I naturally just ate what I wanted...I didn't know as much, nearly as much, as I did about nutrition at the time...I went vegan out of choice and just had fun choosing what I liked to cook and buy and that was it) ..anyways id only eat lettuce, and that's the only green that gives under 10% calcium per cup fluid..its like 7-9% depending on the type. So I was looking up excess calcium symptoms, and it seemed to correlate with what ive dealt with back and forth for some time. Based on studies RDA recommends not to get more than 250% (2500mg) a day, and most on a Peat diet probably get near or more than that depending. I really think now though...just based on intuition and reasoning and experience, that its more the high Phosphorus with it that's the problem, it doesn't let calcium free flow out, instead becomes Calcium Phosphate which really hurts the kidneys and bowel and potentially whole digestive and circulatory system. As a high fruit eater, even with a low protein intake, and some pufas though I naturally didn't like that many nuts/seeds and was eating a lot of cocoa butter and coconut oil, I felt better than I do on a pretty perfect, even enhanced Peat diet...and the fact fluid sits and I sweat clammy rather than pee like im drunk is indicating to me kidneys are stressed, and high phosphorus is likely the main culprit behind that. I found this study

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24225358

which says that over 1400mg Phosphorus is linked to all cause mortality. If you think of natural animals, especially apes, but anything that isn't a carnivore obligate, they don't eat harsh dark mature greens and aren't drinkning cows milk, so they never get Phorphorus that high at all (fruit is very low in phosphorus, and light greens are pretty low). Im gonna have to figure this out, but just a heads up, Im thinking even with the merits and benefits of milk and even with a high calcium ratio, the simple fact its so high in phosphorus is a detriment if you consume more than 5 cups maybe, with no meat or eggs, in a day. To still get enough protein (casue meat and eggs are even worse, high phosphorus and low calcium) without loading up on a ton of lettuce, greek yogurt or paneer, farmers cheese, seems like potentially the only other option.

The thing is..in the back of my mind, ive always known, like high fruit..makes sense and is it, that was what changed my whole life back then, like felt how a human should...felt comfortable as a soul in a body, wasn't random weird ***t or tensions or nags..it was just like...peace, comfort, eye to eye, still, with energy, urine was rapid and fast, bowel was not an issue, ect, but the fact that fruit is expensive, and of generally terrible quality ( yesterday I was shopping, and advertised 'tree ripened peaches' were hard...I laughed) is what messes everything up. Anyways, so yea...Im thinking if you actually wanna keep health simple, and if you think about it...besides PUFA pressed oil (would apply to nuts/seeds) keeping phosphorus low while avoiding things that taste bitter, basically sums up all actual healthy regimes with results. The biggest thing is the nervous system benefit. When I was a vegan back then, I felt like earth was...home? like I belonged, dunno how to put it, there was no demons or negativity or nagging and whatever you wanna call it, the human condition, it was surprisingly and almost overwhelmingly good and amazing...and when most people their whole life, well pretty much everyone, doesn't feel like that, to actually feel like that is shocking, almost so good (really just normal) its hard to believe it and not think something terrible must be waiting to happen. So anyways, just think about it...if you eat what other apes and herbivores eat, even adding some termites or small amounts of high protein food, your phosphorus intake will be dramatically lower than what pretty much everyone around the world, for most of recorded history, has consumed. Grains, meat, dairy, eggs, nuts, seeds, root vegetables, which basically apes eat very small to none of, make it pretty impossible (white rice in small amounts can still get you just ok...at best) to live with a low phosphorus intake. And if you look at human breast milk its very low, like 3% per 172 calories, of phosphorus if that's any indications. Translate that to a 2500 calorie diet that's like 44% Phosphorus (440mg) only in a day, and if your diet was mostly fruit and light greens, you'd probably be something similar.

Could be a big reason, pretty certain, people like to drink a lot, in fact...compelled to, because (another thing was when I became a vegan eating high fruit, my desire/need to drink disappeared completely, and I felt happier and looser than when I was on a normal diet drinking...people I knew might have thought I was high or wired or messing around, but it was actually just how good I felt...its like the energy and inspiration of a toddler or something, or more)...I think people drink basically to dilute out excess sodium, calcium phosphate, that create chronic nervous, GI, and hypertensive problems...im actually certain of this, because alcohol itself is offensive.

I bid my fellow noobish journeymen ado, something to think about and if any of you are brave enough, to try

and btw, kale sucks...ive always known this. Anyone recommending or eating kale is waving a red flag saying 'im full of egotisitical ***t!!!!"

I just wanna add also, I don't have any health problems right now, my mood is good, im flexible, mobile, ect, never get sick, following a Peat based diet in principle, but its not really like...its significantly notches down from what I know my potential is, and that ive felt before, so that's why I keep trying to get back to that state

OP
P

pboy

Giraffe said:
pboy said:
but theres this like perpetual nag that wont go away in lower back.
Stretching the back of your legs might help.

lol

im not talking about problems here, I guess no one here has experienced what it feels like to be actually optimum before. Theres a difference between not having pain or problems, and feeling electrified. Back when I felt my best, my kidneys literally felt like super charged battery packs, in a resting state, as an analogy. Im speaking basically to high flyers here, not people looking to just get through the 9 to 5 wife kids and a dog lifestyle without any significant problems arising

sm1693

pboy said:
lol

im not talking about problems here, I guess no one here has experienced what it feels like to be actually optimum before. Theres a difference between not having pain or problems, and feeling electrified. Back when I felt my best, my kidneys literally felt like super charged battery packs, in a resting state, as an analogy. Im speaking basically to high flyers here, not people looking to just get through the 9 to 5 wife kids and a dog lifestyle without any significant problems arising

This is why I'm still here. And crazy enough, I do think it is an electricity problem.

OP
P

pboy

yea man, ill post back in the upcoming months im sure...weeks, im gonna have to get creative on how I go about this and its gonna take some moons to really know how its all panning out...im pretty certain though, like...this is what years of testing and experience are not pointing to. The flow of fluid through the body can easily be slowed down by the kidneys if theres too many or imbalanced solutes, which is just a metaphor for the 'chi' in the entire body, granted you have adequate vitamins and all that.

When you realize (most don't, but its laughable) that almost all symptoms of sexual fiendishness, agressions, ranking systems, negative non optimistic, comfortable, peaceful mind, like the world basically lol, all has to do with hypertension basically in the large intestine, small intestine, kidney, bladder, heart meridians, (constipation and hypertension) it explains why the world is the way it is. The way my mind felt back then too like it was literally living in a cartoon rabbit hole reality, because the way everyone else acted seemed so ludicrous and it was apparent they were all in extreme pain and tension basically...living like that for a few years rewired everything about how I know the world to be, which was why im so adamant to get back to it. Anythign other than that is like hellish, or at best, where im at right now..neutral, but above that for me only because I have reference and knowing and direction towards whats optimum and possible

Stuart

That's interesting about the low phosphorous in breast milk Pboy. But babies drink a lot of it too. Do you know what their consumption is per day (for a particular bodyweight) ?
You might recall I think the composition of breast milk can tell us a great deal about the desirable dietary ratios of various nutrients.
Organ meats are high in phophorous. But muscle meats and gelatin are low. So if you eat some dairy meat, and gelatin for protein/ calcium you won't overdo phosphorus will you?
Also, what's the phosphorous/protein ration in potatoes? Because they have a good spread of amino acids don't they?

Dan W

Stuart said:
Also, what's the phosphorous/protein ration in potatoes? Because they have a good spread of amino acids don't they?
I wonder about using the potato protein soup for this. I did some bumbling caveman-esque reading on potato structure, and it makes me think the phosphorus would be concentrated in the starch rather than the soup.

I'll be curious to hear your updates, pboy. Every time I see my daily phosphorus intake I wonder whether I should do something about it.

sugar daddy

Interesting ideas

Whats your diet gonna look like - are you going to eat more fruit and cut dairy out?

How will you get your protein or do you think that you won't need as much.

The P content will vary depending on the soil of which the food was grown. I think Peat is right about getting more Ca than P because I've experimented with it myself and found that my skin got worse when I lowered Ca and raised P. It then got better when I went back to higher Ca than P.

pboy said:
and btw, kale sucks...ive always known this. Anyone recommending or eating kale is waving a red flag saying 'im full of egotisitical s***!!!!"

The wannabee health food people love kale, flax oil and chia seeds. So they are dumb and lazy to not do more research. But, Peat does use leafy greens occasionally to make a concentrated magnesium supplement, and kale can be one of those greens.

pboy said:
After looking at a lot of nutrition data, ive realized in nature, this is kind of impossible to happen without either dark greens, the kind that are really bitter and unpalatable anyways, or with milk from a cow or another animal.

IslandGirl's weird comment:

"I too have found that although calcium and protein are important, i don't need large amounts of them every single day. Milk is definitely not the health food that peatarians believe and cooked green vegetables are higher in other essential minerals, like magnesium, than milk. Also, the calcium in green vegetables is much better absorbed. Peat admitted this on a radio show when someone asked why Vietnamese had stronger bones than Scandinavian milk drinkers, even though the Vietnamese did not drink milk."

I'm still trying to find which radio show she's talking about. :)

Do you live in a sunny part of TX? How much sun do you get? Do you burn? Have you had your D level tested?

Amazoniac

Lord,
I wonder how being constantly stressed elevates levels of phosphorus due to tissue breakdown..
The study used the NHANES data and industrialized foods usually have additives related to phosphorus, I don't know how they influence the readings and interpretation though.
I read a review some time ago that claimed that Ph has usually twice as much the absorption rate than Ca in the intestines. I can't remember the source.

OP
P

pboy

yea I live where its sunny, I don't purposefully sun right now im a bit too busy but I still get pretty good exposure most days, I haven't had my D levels checked but I think theyre fine...the milk ive been drinking, like half gallon a day, is fortified...I usually can tell when I go in the sun, if it gives an exceptionally soothing feeling I stay in it for a little bit...that's how it was before a drank the fortified milk, the sun felt much better so I probably needed it. I actually don't burn at all and ill start to tan in like 10 minutes, but even when ive spent 2-3 hours in direct light it just hits a peak and I never even get red or anything...its actually been like that for a long time for me now, perhaps just low pufa, plenty vitamin A, or something
My nails grow fast, and thick, so that's indicating im thinking that im absorbing a lot of the calcium

with the protein, its clear I (we) still need a good amount, if I just drink juice or fruit or sugary brewed drinks eventually it becomes serotonergic and I can feel when that happens, I feel weak and tired and my voice becomes weaker...the exact amount of protein needed im not sure, but I was doing fine with like 50-60 g for a long time a while back so im thinking that's a decent amount...on a little over 2000 calorie diet, it depends mostly on carb ratio so a higher fat proportion would need less, im thinking, but still...its a fine line, because being too low in protein is pretty bad and definitely something to avoid, but then in excess it has its own problems too mostly just cause the imbalances or excesses of minerals you'd then get (or in the case of loading on greens, probably gastric troubles)

im not sure how im gonna go about testing this, but im sure the first week or so will just be a mish mash to see what I notice and perceive, theres some decent fruit available right now if I stock up and let it ripen properly (cost is a little bit of a barrier) so ill probably just make apple juice/sauce a good part of it at first...I think unfortuneately im either allergic to oranges or just their salicylate content is irritating, I get gastric burning and like...the feeling of upcoming acne or literally breakouts from OJ, im not sure why, I love it, and its very nutritious, but I cant do it. Then ill just get as much other good fruit as I can, and try different things for everything else...ill have to calculate all the vitamins and stuff to make sure whatever I do I get enough. Ill keep protein low (lower) but still making sure to watch for signs of it being too low and try to find a window that works. I mostly wanna just try to keep Ph as low as I can, while still getting enough protein...so it'll take some experimenting im sure. The potato protein might be a good option, ive never made it, and don't know about the nutrition facts of it...a good thing about dairy is it gives a nice boost to selenium, b12, a little iodine, b5, riboflavin and things like that...which im afraid might be lacking if I was to opt for pure potato protein, but it all depends on what makes it into that fraction, cause potato's are decent sources of all of those except b12 otherwise. Ive been pleasantly surprised at how easy white rice digests (fresh cooked) so if I need to shore up selenium or just for some density, I could see some of that being in there in a small amount...with enough fruit its lack of nutrition might be able to be made up for

EIRE24

Pboy,

I feel like a get the same thing with the burning feeling in the gut from things like orange juice and even some dried fruit and break out in acne also, it's annoying because like you said the orange juice is tasty and nutritious.

Where do you get most of your vitamin A from if you don't eat liver or other organ meats? Milk?

schultz

Westside PUFAs said:
IslandGirl's weird comment:

"I too have found that although calcium and protein are important, i don't need large amounts of them every single day. Milk is definitely not the health food that peatarians believe and cooked green vegetables are higher in other essential minerals, like magnesium, than milk. Also, the calcium in green vegetables is much better absorbed. Peat admitted this on a radio show when someone asked why Vietnamese had stronger bones than Scandinavian milk drinkers, even though the Vietnamese did not drink milk."

I'm still trying to find which radio show she's talking about. :)

I remember hearing this actually, but can't remember which show it was :?

She actually got the quote a little wrong. The caller asked why, for example, the Vietnamese had strong bones without getting much or any dairy. From what I remember I think Ray mentioned getting sunlight and/or vitamin D. Damn, when I started writing this response I thought I remembered more. I'll just have to find the clip for you. :lol:

In regards to the thread topic:::

High fruit intake seems optimal to me. Ray has said as much when he said that the ideally half the diet should be fruit. Here is the clip:

Note in this clip that he also mentions that, assuming high quality foods, splitting the macro ratios into thirds might possibly be the best IE 33% fat, 33% carbohydrates and 33% protein, which seems to contradict the 50% fruit thing. I think he is sort of just thinking out loud. The take home message is that he thinks a high fruit diet is the best and that the macro's can vary tremendously given that high quality food is being consumed.

Fruits contain more phosphorus than calcium on average, so a 100% fruit diet would probably give something like a 2:1 ratio in favour of phosphorus. I think eating a high fruit diet and also including high quality dairy and some leafy green broth would be a pretty awesome diet. Parmesan, for example, has a C:P ratio of 1.7:1, which is getting close to human milk (human milk varies, but is usually around 2:1).

Also, it's possible that grass-fed dairy has a better ratio of calcium and phosphorus. See the clip below:

Recap: So I think the ideal day to day diet would be high fruit with enough milk and cheese to get the protein up a bit and leafy green broth, as well as coffee broth, to enhance the mineral ratios. This is basically what Ray recommends and is what I think of as a "Ray Peat diet" if there is such a thing.

Attachments

• Half Calories From Fruit and Macro Ratios.mp3
    789.4 KB · Views: 70
  • Calcium Phosphorus Ratio + Grass-fed.mp3
    919.6 KB · Views: 84

sm1693

pboy said:
I think unfortuneately im either allergic to oranges or just their salicylate content is irritating, I get gastric burning and like...the feeling of upcoming acne or literally breakouts from OJ, im not sure why, I love it, and its very nutritious, but I cant do it.

This is because you are consuming orange peel in commercial oj. Try consuming orange essential oil made from orange peel and you will get the same reaction. RP cannot be accepted verbatim.

OP
P

pboy

^^ I think youre right, but its actually that white part that gets me..the fuzzy white part, and even if I juice them myself or eat them its kind of impossible to avoid it, unless I juice it so lightly I only get like an oz or oz and a half per orange..in which case its just too expensive, but OJ is like one of the best fruits

fruit generally has, some don't, but some have more Ph than calcium, but it still comes out neutral because the magnesium content helps buffer it, and also fructose reduces intestinal phosphate absorption to like 80% according to that one study Peat cited

yea Shultz that seems like pretty ideal, some leaves probably just juiced brothed or well cooked, light ones over bitter, mostly fruit, then some grass fed dairy to round it off. I think the high protein thing is kind of wrong, or just non ideal, 1:1 with carb is terrible ratio, you definitely don't need that much fat, and consuming half gallon of milk is excessive cause the phosphate load even tho its balanced by calcium. Better might be like 1 quart, or like a couple cups of greek yogurt/paneer, then the rest as fruit with some leaves. Its still a pretty watery diet so I think you'd ideally have some white sugar or white rice to densify it a little bit. I guess theres only one way to find out

schultz

pboy said:
yea Shultz that seems like pretty ideal, some leaves probably just juiced brothed or well cooked, light ones over bitter, mostly fruit, then some grass fed dairy to round it off. I think the high protein thing is kind of wrong, or just non ideal, 1:1 with carb is terrible ratio, you definitely don't need that much fat, and consuming half gallon of milk is excessive cause the phosphate load even tho its balanced by calcium. Better might be like 1 quart, or like a couple cups of greek yogurt/paneer, then the rest as fruit with some leaves. Its still a pretty watery diet so I think you'd ideally have some white sugar or white rice to densify it a little bit. I guess theres only one way to find out

Yah I notice I feel the best when my fruit is high and my fat is around 30-60g. I drank skim milk for a while and brought my fat down to 10-20g a day, and I didn't really like it. I have a moderately physical job so the liquid part doesn't bother me. I can drink a litre of juice before bed and not wake up in the night.

Another thing I thought of in regards to the P:C ratio is that fructose helps protect against high phosphorus, does it not? So the high fruit diet might help to get down some of the extra phosphorus in the milk.

Attachments

• Sugar - For Bones + Phosphorus.mp3
    999.2 KB · Views: 76

narouz

When my health took a turn for the worse
it was during a period where I would regularly have some steak, coconut fried potatoes, and Coke for supper.
Pretty hardcore phosphate tilt there.

And the main symptom was severe lower backache.
You mentioned nagging backache, p...

I was eating very Peatian all day--dairy and fruit.
But I think eating those high phosphate foods adjacent to bedtime....

Hgreen56

These study's confirm @pboy thought about keep phosphorus low as possible.

When P intake was above current recommendations, increased Ca intake was beneficial for bone, as indicated by decreased S-PTH concentration and bone resorption. However, not even a high Ca intake could affect bone formation when P intake was excessive. Increased calcium intake does not completely counteract the effects of increased phosphorus intake
However, based on the findings of the controlled study, even a high dietary Ca intake could not completely overcome all of the negative effects caused by a high dietary P intake. https://www.functionalps.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/effectso.pdf

After reading this, you would think why on earth ray still advises drinking milk..
Does he never mention a limit intake of phosphorus? weird..

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals