Phosphorus In Mushrooms

L

Lord Cola

Posting this again in a separate thread. I think this is something that should be considered by those who consume mushrooms frequently.

Is phosphate a problem with mushrooms? According to Cronometer, if I eat about a cup of mushrooms (which I think is about the amount I need to eat to experience benefits), I would need about a quart of fat free milk without additives to achieve roughly 1:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus. That's a large amount of protein in one meal. I think that calcium-phosphorus ratio should not be left unbalanced for a long duration of time, though I am unsure if phosphorus in mushrooms is absorbed a great deal. So does the phosphorus in mushrooms require balancing, or are there reasons why it's healthful to eat mushrooms alone?

Lejeboca

Posting this again in a separate thread. I think this is something that should be considered by those who consume mushrooms frequently.

Is phosphate a problem with mushrooms? According to Cronometer, if I eat about a cup of mushrooms (which I think is about the amount I need to eat to experience benefits), I would need about a quart of fat free milk without additives to achieve roughly 1:1 ratio of calcium to phosphorus. That's a large amount of protein in one meal. I think that calcium-phosphorus ratio should not be left unbalanced for a long duration of time, though I am unsure if phosphorus in mushrooms is absorbed a great deal. So does the phosphorus in mushrooms require balancing, or are there reasons why it's healthful to eat mushrooms alone?

In one of his recent interviews, Ray mentioned that mushrooms are high in phosphorus.

I think any phosphorus needs balancing with calcium. From my personal experience, phosphorus in non-animal food is absorbed "a great deal".

matisvijs

Thanks for bringing this to attention. Easiest solutions that come to mind are to either prepare the mushrooms with some cheese (which has a better calcium:phosphorus ratio than milk), this could be quite tasty as well, at the same time... the other, more OCD method would be to just take a half to a teaspoon of eggshell calcium before the meal and be done with it. I'm not sure, but I don't think that there's anything in mushrooms that would interfere with phosphorus absorption in a major way.

Lejeboca

Thanks for bringing this to attention. Easiest solutions that come to mind are to either prepare the mushrooms with some cheese (which has a better calcium:phosphorus ratio than milk), this could be quite tasty as well, at the same time... the other, more OCD method would be to just take a half to a teaspoon of eggshell calcium before the meal and be done with it. I'm not sure, but I don't think that there's anything in mushrooms that would interfere with phosphorus absorption in a major way.

This is what I would do too. I typically go your proposed 'OCD route' though. :):

OP
L

Lord Cola

In one of his recent interviews, Ray mentioned that mushrooms are high in phosphorus.

I think any phosphorus needs balancing with calcium. From my personal experience, phosphorus in non-animal food is absorbed "a great deal".
What does eating a lot of phosphorus feel like for you? Knowing how it feels to have too much phosphorus without calcium would be useful in gauging how much of each food I would want to eat.

Eating fructose with mushrooms also might be helpful in reducing phosphate absorption. Below is a quote from Dr. Peat's article, 'Phosphate, activation, and aging':
"While fructose lowers intracellular phosphate, it also lowers the amount that the intestine absorbs from food (Kirchner, et al.,2008), and the Milne-Nielsen study suggests that it increases phosphate loss through the kidneys. The "anti-aging" protein, klotho, increases the ability of the kidneys to excrete phosphate (Dërmaku-Sopjani, et al., 2011), and like fructose, it supports energy production and maintains thermogenesis (Mori, et al., 2000)."

Lejeboca

What does eating a lot of phosphorus feel like for you? Knowing how it feels to have too much phosphorus without calcium would be useful in gauging how much of each food I would want to eat."

I noticed this from my algae eating days. If I had too much and topped with a couple of eggs, I would get a dull (or burning when walking) pain on the ball-part of the sole of my left foot. I suppose, it was from kidneys having hard time dealing with all that phosphorus.
Once I realized that the origin of pain, I would stop eating algae (spirulina and/or chlorella) and eat only one egg every other day or so, the pain went away.
Now, when I don't consume algae but still eat (even more) eggs and mushrooms. I do get this pain but very rarely because I suppose I supplement with calcium from eggshells.

"Eating fructose with mushrooms also might be helpful in reducing phosphate absorption. Below is a quote from Dr. Peat's article, 'Phosphate, activation, and aging':
"While fructose lowers intracellular phosphate, it also lowers the amount that the intestine absorbs from food (Kirchner, et al.,2008), and the Milne-Nielsen study suggests that it increases phosphate loss through the kidneys. The "anti-aging" protein, klotho, increases the ability of the kidneys to excrete phosphate (Dërmaku-Sopjani, et al., 2011), and like fructose, it supports energy production and maintains thermogenesis (Mori, et al., 2000)."

Thanks much for the pointer ! This is good to know. I've been recently adding sugar to my mushroom stews but I should try fructose, I suppose.
Did you try fructose with mushrooms yourself?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals