Non-dairy Calcium Sources

yoshiesque

I looked to see if this was posted but cant find it.

Anyways due to a current dairy intolerance (ill work on it soonish) i need to find alternative sources. I cannot eat cheese either because I have high cholesterol and Familial Hypercholesterolemia, so gotta figure out how much saturated fat i can safely eat. But first need to reduce the cholesterol.

So anyway, I found the following
- 1 Orange - 60mg calcium
- 1 Tblspn Molasses - 41mg calcium (also has 15g sugar / 48g magnesium / 292mg potassium/ 0.9mg iron (5% DV))
- 100g Kale - 70mg calcium

I figured if I ate 100g kale, 3 Tblspn Molasses & 4 oranges id get a good 450mg or so of calcium. I supplement with egg shell calcium too but tbh i dont want this to be the only source, im worried about studies ive read showing calcification from calcium supplementation.

The only issues I have with this are:
1. Are these sources good for bio-availability ? Or poorly absorbed
2. Molasses has quite a bit of iron and potassium - any issues with this? I thought coffee could counteract the iron part.

Also, do we actually need a certain amount of calcium? or do we just need to make sure calcium is higher than phosphate consumption?

Eggshell calcium is the next best thing. Save the egg shells of your organic eggs, boil them to remove excrement, allow to dry and then grind into a fine powder.

Next alternative is to use a calcium carbonate supplement (Now Foods has a good one).

Stilgar

I can't be sure, but I would think a good thyroid supplement would get your LDL cholesterol down.

With calcium, remember that parathyroid hormone (PTH) is usually elevated in calcification situations. Getting it down requires lots of dietary calcium, including eggshell. This is a fundamental difference between Peat's approach to calcium balance than mainstream medicine.

Extra vitamin K would help too.

tara

Stilgar said:
I can't be sure, but I would think a good thyroid supplement would get your LDL cholesterol down.

With calcium, remember that parathyroid hormone (PTH) is usually elevated in calcification situations. Getting it down requires lots of dietary calcium, including eggshell. This is a fundamental difference between Peat's approach to calcium balance than mainstream medicine.

:yeahthat

I think Peat has recommended, in order of purity (ie lack of lead etc), milk , eggshell, oystershell. I didn't succeed in grinding my eggshells fine enough to tolerate. I've been eating oystershell since I can't currently get enough from diet.
Peat has expressed concern about possible effects of industrial heating in the processing of molasses. Personally, I occasionally eat a little molasses, but I don't think my palate would agree to 3 tbsp/day. I'd be surprised if you would get too much potassium.
I think Peat has suggested a minimum of 1200mg calcium, but preferably more like 2000mg, as well as Ca:Phosphorus in the range 1:1 - 2:1. It's hard to get enough protein without lots of milk and not get quite a bit of phosphorus.

If you buy calcium pantothenate (vitamin b5) that should be about 8% calcium.

Amazoniac

I never heard anyone doing it but it should work: eggshell broth. Try adding some acid and even pressure cooking.
Instead of throwing the whole eggshell, grind it a bit, add the acid and cook (it might take a long time). Then use a sieve to remove any larger piece left.

schultz

A whole lobster has = 453mg
4 cups of tangerine juice = 178mg
4 cups of orange juice = 109mg
1 cup of cooked collards = 266mg

Waremu

One cup of nettle tea infusion is around 500mg of calcium. A good source of magnesium as well.

tara

Waremu said:
One cup of nettle tea infusion is around 500mg of calcium. A good source of magnesium as well.
Does that mean a cup packed with nettles made into an infusion, or a smaller amount of nettles making a cup of infusion? Nettles are great in soup. (Unless they grow in poisoned soil - they are good at picking up all sorts of minerals.)

Waremu

tara said:
Waremu said:
Does that mean a cup packed with nettles made into an infusion, or a smaller amount of nettles making a cup of infusion? Nettles are great in soup. (Unless they grow in poisoned soil - they are good at picking up all sorts of minerals.)

1oz of dry herb, I believe. Some sources claim 300-500mg if made as a tea, but others say that you will only get around 500mg of calcium if made into an infusion. So, to be on the safe side, it is probably best to do as an infusion, which means you just let it steep much longer. Steep time is usually 4 hours. Some people do overnight. But I think 4 hours is good enough. Maybe something like bring to boil and then let steep each hour for four hours. I am going to rely on some as my main source of calcium and see how it goes. I know nettle is also an anti-estrogen.

tara

Waremu said:
tara said:
Waremu said:

1oz of dry herb, I believe. Some sources claim 300-500mg if made as a tea, but others say that you will only get around 500mg of calcium if made into an infusion. So, to be on the safe side, it is probably best to do as an infusion, which means you just let it steep much longer. Steep time is usually 4 hours. Some people do overnight. But I think 4 hours is good enough. Maybe something like bring to boil and then let steep each hour for four hours. I am going to rely on some as my main source of calcium and see how it goes. I know nettle is also an anti-estrogen.
Ta. I was putting the nettles from my garden in my soup till I learned that we may have lead contamination, and my lead levels are highish. If I find a cleaner local source I'll be keen to use eat/drink again.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

janus said:
Calcium carbonate goes well with coffee, in my experience, taming the acidity.

can you actually get the calcium carbonate to dissolve in the coffee?

janus

yoshiesque said:
janus said:
Calcium carbonate goes well with coffee, in my experience, taming the acidity.

can you actually get the calcium carbonate to dissolve in the coffee?

It probably dissolves better if you brew it along with the coffee, as opposed to adding it to the drink, because it's immersed with more acid. When I make espresso I mix the calcium carbonate in with the grounds, and the shot comes out lighter-brown than usual.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

in the long run, once my cholesterol is down i should be able to experiment with SOME saturated fats. i think ill start with Parmesan cheese because that has an amazing 500mg calcium and 9g saturated fat.

Now im not saying saturated fat increases cholesterol, but it is proven that some people with genetic disorders (rare but hello, thats me!) saturated fat does increase cholesterol AND they usually dont produce enough LDL receptors to get rid of it. I will be testing T3 some day to see what effect it has on this.

anyway, the problem i think ive heard with parmesan cheese is its aged i think? which means more histamine is that right?

moss

cantstoppeating said:
Eggshell calcium is the next best thing. Save the egg shells of your organic eggs, boil them to remove excrement, allow to dry and then grind into a fine powder.

I make my own egg shell capsules as I don't go for the grainy leftovers resembling sand in my foods, makes me want to gag. I have a very old coffee grinder and this works well then make up capsules much easier.
http://www.cap-m-quik.com/#!product-information/cbd

I don't take egg shell caps everyday but I do have bone broths every day and sometimes I add kale to the mix and strain before serving.
I believe soaking the bones beforehand in vinegar helps leach more of the calcium from the bones, personally only ever done this once.

Nettles are great but I believe they do contain a high iron content so if that is a concern something to think about.

tara

Good point about iron in nettles.
I think Peats xoncern about calcium from beef bones is the lead they accumulate.
I cooked bones with vinegar a few times before I read Peat on this, and then stopped. Clean egg shell broth should be ok as far as I know.

OP
Y

yoshiesque

Stilgar said:

If PTH is not always elevated in calcification situations then there might be other causes. To be honest the calcium stuff really scares me. Because there are studies showing supplemental calcium caused calcification while non-supplemental sources (like dairy) didnt.

Amazoniac

I never heard anyone doing it but it should work: eggshell broth. Try adding some acid and even pressure cooking.
Instead of throwing the whole eggshell, grind it a bit, add the acid and cook (it might take a long time). Then use a sieve to remove any larger piece left.
And I still wonder if it's possible to desintegrate the protein matrix just by slow cooking it..