Peatarian Views On Stone Fruit?

barbwirehouse

""Ray Peat - The details vary slightly according to what's available. Daily, milk, fruit (mainly orange juice), eggs, butter, cheese, and coffee. As available, liver, shrimp, squid, oysters, cod, sole, ox-tail soup, chicharrones (puffed pork rind), sapotas, pawpaws, cherimoyas, guanabanas, guavas, carrots, bamboo shoots, small turnips, corundas.""

Obviously, all those fruits are approved by Peat since he eats them. I've read the sticky and searched around and apparently these fruits are good as well :pray

>lychees
>grapes
>watermelon
>cherries
>mango
>oranges
>mandarin

I know that Peat doesn't like berries due to their seeds and apples+pears can be quite allergenic.

But what about stonefruit? Peaches, apricots, nectarines, plums, etc? And other melons that aren't watermelon? :?

tara

I thought I had read sth from Peat about apples etc being allergeninc for some people as part of the rosaceae family, which also includes the stone fruit, but I've just searched and haven't found it again. So maybe my memory is at fault. I think plums specifically may be highish in serotonin? I think he has expressed doubt about eating large quantities of strawberries (also rosaceae). I think Peat has also said that clear apple juice (with the pectin and other fibre removed) can be ok for many people. I think he's been favourable to eg blackcurrents with the seeds and skins removed.

Pre-Peat, I had heard that it is a known phenomenon that people who are allergic to birch pollen are often also allergic to peaches and nectarines.

I'm live in a temperate climate, so tropical fruit are hard to come by. I eat all these other fruits when available, but maybe they have downsides.

OP
B

barbwirehouse

tara said:
I thought I had read sth from Peat about apples etc being allergeninc for some people as part of the rosaceae family, which also includes the stone fruit, but I've just searched and haven't found it again. So maybe my memory is at fault. I think plums specifically may be highish in serotonin? I think he has expressed doubt about eating large quantities of strawberries (also rosaceae). I think Peat has also said that clear apple juice (with the pectin and other fibre removed) can be ok for many people. I think he's been favourable to eg blackcurrents with the seeds and skins removed.

Pre-Peat, I had heard that it is a known phenomenon that people who are allergic to birch pollen are often also allergic to peaches and nectarines.

I'm live in a temperate climate, so tropical fruit are hard to come by. I eat all these other fruits when available, but maybe they have downsides.

So, you don't really worry about it? :roll:

tara

barbwirehouse said:
So, you don't really worry about it? :roll:
Not much. :D

Just because some people are allergic to something doesn't mean everyone is. I'm not aware of having problems with them, though it's possible I'm just not noticing. Clear apple juice I'm currently drinking as a staple. All the others I eat a little from time to time depending on seasonal availability, price, etc. It's stone fruit season now, but not cheap to buy, so I only eat a little. I've been eating fruit salad every day since christmas. Soon I should have ripe peaches off my own tree for 3 weeks, so I'll probably eat a few. Then my pear tree, and then my apples. If I notice a problem, I'll back off, or stew them. I make more of an effort to avoid the peels than I did pre-Peat.

As you may have gathered, I'm not all that strict about avoiding everything Peat has expressed reservations about. I figure there are probably some benefits from variety. I've gradually tried out various ideas, and adopted some of them as regular practice. At some time in the future I'll probably try incorporating other ideas too. Some people here are much more meticulous, and it works for them. But some people go super strict and then have trouble figuring out how to eat enough.

Peat has said that sometimes making just one or two changes is enough to make a big difference to some people's health.

I suspect that some of my problems stem from long term under-eating. Not diagnosable anorexia - I've never been super skinny or eaten extremely low - but less than I needed, resulting in a lot of hunger stress and probably deficiencies in lots of things. So at the moment I'm more focussed on making sure I get enough to eat and cover all my nutritional bases, eating food I enjoy, and not completely blowing the family budget.
Being too restrictive in the past has been part of the problem, so at the moment I'm aiming to allow myself at least a little of anything I really want. Allowing myself to eat as much sugar as I want, including fruit, juice, honey is a big improvement on what I was doing before. I've cut way back on grains, soy and other beans, starches, raw salads, PUFA.

I'm noticing some improvements with my current approach, but haven't solved my key issues. So maybe I'll eventually experiment with being more restrictive, and try a period of avoiding starch and/or non-Peat approved fibre and/or suspect fruit. I'm just not up to changing everything all at once. If milk agreed with me more, I'd be more willing to reduce other things.

schultz

barbwirehouse said:
But what about stonefruit? Peaches, apricots, nectarines, plums, etc? And other melons that aren't watermelon? :?

I think all melons are good as long as they taste good.

I have personally found that if peaches, etc are ripe they don't give me intestinal gas so I tend to only eat these fruits in the summer when they are in season.

I eat cooked apples with my liver.

I say if you don't react to them then they are fine. Ray has said that any fruit (including bananas) is still better than the alternative of eating grains and stuff.

Parsifal

tara said:
Just because some people are allergic to something doesn't mean everyone is. I'm not aware of having problems with them, though it's possible I'm just not noticing.
Isn't it possible to overcome any kind of allergies with a higher metabolism?

tara

Parsifal said:
post 116182 Isn't it possible to overcome any kind of allergies with a higher metabolism?
I think there is evidence that some people overcome allergies. I don't know that it's been demonstrated that it is possible for everyone. Worth getting metabolism up and seeing if it solves those issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom