TubZy

The compound erinacine in lion's mane is a kappa receptor agonist. This isn't that terrible of a thing but it will produce an uncomfortable dysphoria in higher doses. I've tried lion's mane on many occasions but can't quite get past the dysphoria (its very intense for me). That being said I'm sure some extracts are stronger than others regarding this effect.

Ah, I see thanks. You have any knowledge on chaga? Peat thinks it is fine, but that is my second fav from cordyceps. I think it is safe.

mirc12354

Ah, I see thanks. You have any knowledge on chaga? Peat thinks it is fine, but that is my second fav from cordyceps. I think it is safe.
Why do you like cordyceps so much?How much do you take? Which brand?

TubZy

Why do you like cordyceps so much?How much do you take? Which brand?

I talk about it in this thread: Natural DHT & Testosterone Maximization Through Peating

But, mainly for the increase in ATP/increase oxygen uptake as I like to take herbs preworkout. Also does a million others things, but I like it for that.

Mushrooms are very peat friendly anyways.

The brand is Lost Empire Herbs now not Superman Herbs..they switched names.

Constatine

It lacks studies on anything besides its anti-cancer effects (which seems very potent, more potent than most anti-cancer drugs). But it seems to have effects similar to other medical mushrooms such as increased stamina, longevity, and is even effective for diabetes. I have never taken it though. What effects have you seen from it?

TubZy

It lacks studies on anything besides its anti-cancer effects (which seems very potent, more potent than most anti-cancer drugs). But it seems to have effects similar to other medical mushrooms such as increased stamina, longevity, and is even effective for diabetes. I have never taken it though. What effects have you seen from it?

Pretty much same as the post above (increase ATP/oxygen prior to working out), I can go much longer. It also modulates cortisol, boost immunity etc. It can supposedly boost T too, which is why it was the first mushroom I tried b/c all the other mushrooms scared me due to some of their 5ARi properties. I prefer the immune modulating effects too compared to some other adaptogens that just "stimulate" the immune response. All mushrooms are known for this effect.

I just feel good on it when I work out hard to explain, feels similar to high dose CoQ10.

Makrosky

Regarding the mushrooms, it seems like the anti-5AR effects are probably small in magnitude for white button mushrooms, at least from this study (white buttons are the last row):
mushrooms-5ar-fujita-et-al.png
Jesus... Thanks Dan for this chart. It's unbelievable how much "Ganoderma Lucidum" is advertised in alternative health circles as promoter of longevity and a myriad of other health benefits. Maybe it is, I don't know, but that massive increase in 5AR inhibition.......

IhateFin

Very useful info, thanks. Suprised to see progesterone on that list. Most of the other hormones can probably be coverred via the androsterone/dhea supplement route. But progesterone would have to be taken seperately, maybe with pregnenelone instead?

@haduit Would you advise the simultaneous use of both 5-dhp and androsterone? Or is that too potent?

I am comng tot he conclusion the key to overcoming post finasteride syndrome (5-ar deficiency) is half DHT and half allopregneneone. So I have been experimenting with different dosages of pregnenelone/5Adhp & dhea/androsterone with really potent results. The only issue is sore joints and some irritability which have led me to lower the dosages.

What are your doses of each?
I too have PFS and would love a huge jump in libido.

sladerunner69

What are your doses of each?
I too have PFS and would love a huge jump in libido.

Well this is the sacred question, isn't it? Depends on how long its been, how you've been dieting etc. As far as supplements go, lately I have been thinking that the best thing would be to increase thyroid fuction via t3/t4, or to take caffiene. Also start experimenting with niacinimide, 500mg 1-4 times daily. Lower prolactin with b6 p5p and calcium rich diet. So, once your cortisol is low and your thyroid is strong again, your libido should be on its way back and the nerve damage in your genital nerves should be slowly and surely recovering. Take pregnenelone to fill in the hormonal gaps. There are a variety of prescription drugs that could help too such as endofoxine, ritanserin, opioids, etc.

Don't raise testosterone too much, definitely dont inject testosterone it usually only hurts us. Try some androsterone or dht in very small amounts and see how you feel. It made me feel too sedated but also helped my penile sensitivity permanently after I was on it for a month.

IhateFin

Well this is the sacred question, isn't it? Depends on how long its been, how you've been dieting etc. As far as supplements go, lately I have been thinking that the best thing would be to increase thyroid fuction via t3/t4, or to take caffiene. Also start experimenting with niacinimide, 500mg 1-4 times daily. Lower prolactin with b6 p5p and calcium rich diet. So, once your cortisol is low and your thyroid is strong again, your libido should be on its way back and the nerve damage in your genital nerves should be slowly and surely recovering. Take pregnenelone to fill in the hormonal gaps. There are a variety of prescription drugs that could help too such as endofoxine, ritanserin, opioids, etc.

Don't raise testosterone too much, definitely dont inject testosterone it usually only hurts us. Try some androsterone or dht in very small amounts and see how you feel. It made me feel too sedated but also helped my penile sensitivity permanently after I was on it for a month.

Okay I have a lot of the sups you mentioned so I'll work on getting some new regimens together.

My doc prescribed me naturethroid even tho my tsh was 1.5 since he said I could use more T3. I haven't taken it cuz I didn't wanna mess with my thyroid but it sounds like taking it should be what I need? My T3 was 2.9 and he wanted to see it closer to 3.5. Should I go for it?

sladerunner69

Okay I have a lot of the sups you mentioned so I'll work on getting some new regimens together.

My doc prescribed me naturethroid even tho my tsh was 1.5 since he said I could use more T3. I haven't taken it cuz I didn't wanna mess with my thyroid but it sounds like taking it should be what I need? My T3 was 2.9 and he wanted to see it closer to 3.5. Should I go for it?

Yeah possibly, I never did much t3 because I was able to fix my thyroid through diet (like avoiding unsaturated fats and increasing sugar) and coffee and aspirin but it took a couple years. I know some people who take t3 and feel better immediately, others feel hot and sluggish and tirred on it. It's worth a try I think. Also if you begin taking t3 long term you are going to create some dependency for it but it should reverse within a week or so after you get off it.

bdawg

Increasing 5-AR activity has received a lot of interest lately due to its therapeutic effects on mood disorders as well as issues with excess cortisol (5-AR deactivates cortisol). Unfortunately, the official story is that there are no freely available compounds that can stimulate 5-AR activity. That is not true.
It is not well-known, but DHEA stimulates 5-AR activity. However, it is well-known that DHT and T enhance 5-AR activity and I posted a study showing that DHT stimulates its own synthesis via that effect. This study looked at a number of different androgens and their effects on 5-AR activity in prostate. The most potent stimulator was 5a-androstanediol - a bi-directional metabolite of both DHT and androsterone. Next in line were DHT, and androsterone = testosterone = androstenedione. See attached imaged for more info.

http://press.endocrine.org/doi/10.1210/endo-93-3-581?url_ver=Z39.88-2003&rfr_id=ori:rid:crossref.org&rfr_dat=cr_pub=pubmed
http://press.endocrine.org/doi/pdf/10.1210/endo-93-3-581

Is 5 androstanediol the same as 3a-diol?

Separately, what is the metabolism chain for this hormone

Anders86

Do you have a quote or more information on Chaga and Peat?

Hitchens

Regarding the mushrooms, it seems like the anti-5AR effects are probably small in magnitude for white button mushrooms, at least from this study (white buttons are the last row):
mushrooms-5ar-fujita-et-al.png
What is Lion's Mane 5ar inhibition potency? I've also read k2 inhibits 5ar

Momado965

Why doesnt ray peat like reishi? In a top TCM herb. I am about to try it but now Im interested in why dr peat doesnt like it.

Reishi is indeed. The only herb that has ever made me feel castrated.
Same here had a very bad experience with it made me feel weak with no motivation and kind of depressed I actually use to consume a lot of Reishi Everyday with an energy mushroom powder and I started gaining a lot of weight around that time with sexual dysfunction problems. That was before I knew about the negative effects.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals