Vitamin B6 Is A Dopamine Agonist And Prolactin Inhibitor

ddjd

I had my prolactin tested yesterday. It was high at 27.2 range 4-12.2.

I have been taking 50mg p5p for close to a year. This is the highest I have ever seen my prolactin.

My estradiol and testosterone was both at the top of their ranges.
My TSH was at 0.055. Have been gaining weight and losing libido.

Not sure what is going on. Am going to reduce my thyroid dose. Possibly high thyroid is jacking up testosterone and thus conversion to E2.

Might alternatively try bromo/caber...
wait so is the B6P5P version not effective then? is it only regular B6 that works against prolactin?

ddjd

I have been taking 50mg p5p for close to a year. This is the highest I have ever seen my prolactin.

Not sure what is going on. Am going to reduce my thyroid dose. Possibly high thyroid is jacking up testosterone and thus conversion to E2.

maybe p5p doesnt have the same effect as the regular b6 hydrochloride

Mona

Can someone please tell me which b6 you purchased that helped with prolactin levels? I currently have a prolactinoma.

Kartoffel

"...Pyridoxine hydrochloride significantly suppressed the chlorpromazine-induced prolactin rise (p less than 0.01). However, the suppression was significantly less than that produced by bromocriptine (p less than 0.01). Pyridoxal hydrochloride, another natural form of vitamin B6, failed to suppress prolactin under the conditions of both studies. This investigation may lend support to the concept that pyridoxine hydrochloride partially inhibits prolactin by a mechanism not involving dopamine."

@haidut In this study you quoted pyridoxal (as hydrochloride) failed to supress prolactine while the pyridoxine derivate was very effective. Energin contains B6 as Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate - do you know whether it is as effective at lowering prolactine as pyridoxalhydrochloride? Sorry, if this already came up somewhere in the Energin thread, but I couldn't find anything with a quick google search of the forum.

OP
haidut

haidut

Forum Supporter
@haidut In this study you quoted pyridoxal (as hydrochloride) failed to supress prolactine while the pyridoxine derivate was very effective. Energin contains B6 as Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate - do you know whether it is as effective at lowering prolactine as pyridoxalhydrochloride? Sorry, if this already came up somewhere in the Energin thread, but I couldn't find anything with a quick google search of the forum.

This thread is more than 5 years old. Years after I posted it, I found more recent studies showing P5P also has dopaminergic and anti-prolactin effect.
Pyridoxal phosphate inhibits pituitary cell proliferation and hormone secretion. - PubMed - NCBI

Charger

If B6 lowers prolactin, why would B6 cause acne? Isn't acne often a problem of higher prolactin levels? Is B6 depleting some other vitamin/mineral, thus resulting in acne?

Old bump, but I see you are still active.

I was taking 300mg per day of B6 P5P a few weeks ago and within a week had an explosion of acne on my right bicep. I was also using a SERM during this period, but I've never had this previously when using any other compound. Never had any sort of acne like that either, doctor thought something must've bitten me.

Was wondering if this was due to the B6, how bad and where would you get acne from B6?

Katty

Old bump, but I see you are still active.

I was taking 300mg per day of B6 P5P a few weeks ago and within a week had an explosion of acne on my right bicep. I was also using a SERM during this period, but I've never had this previously when using any other compound. Never had any sort of acne like that either, doctor thought something must've bitten me.

Was wondering if this was due to the B6, how bad and where would you get acne from B6?

I was getting acne behind my ears and on my neck. Still haven't found answers as to why. I stopped the b6 as soon as I realized it was causing the acne, so it never got super out of control.

Birdie

I'm going to start my husband on low dose B6. Thank you everyone who commented here.

ddjd

Probably mentioned elsewhere but I'm pretty sure p5p doesn't lower prolactin. It's the pyridoxine hydrochloride form that does

Here is an e-mail exchange between Ray Peat and myself…

Me:
“…are there any particicular foods to focus on having more of and ones to particularly avoid with prolactinoma?”

“Excessive water drinking, excessive protein, and PUFA are some of the things that increase it. It happens that the signal in the brain that increases TSH when thyroid hormone is low, is also the release hormone that activates prolactin secretion.” -Ray Peat

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals