Watermelon Seeds

jaa

I bought some seedless watermelon today, and it still contains the pale seeds. These are very difficult to avoid consuming. Is that a problem when eating watermelon?

Jenn

They are immature seeds. "Seedless" watermelon is created by selecting for male and females that don't bloom with correct timing to fertilize properly. Bigger seeds are easier to spit out, IMO.

Personally, I have never found a seedless watermelon that compared in flavor to regular watermelon.

Maretch

Personally, I have never found a seedless watermelon that compared in flavor to regular watermelon.

agreed with this. I've also seen that they aren't comparable in flavors that it is why I do not buy seedless watermelon anymore.

BobbyDukes

The watermelon seeds are PUFA, are they not? Perhaps they don't get absorbed. I don't like the seeds. I like the sweetness of the watermelon, though.

Ingenol

Unfortunately at least around here you cannot reliably buy a "seeded" watermelon.

800mRepeats

I've not yet bought into the concern regarding PUFA in fruit seeds that one might consume (say, berry seeds vs. a peach pit) ...
Unless the seed is well ground by chewing, they seem to pass through the digestive tract intact.
This is, allegedly, as nature intended - to help spread the seeds.
And, if the seeds are intact, undigested, PUFA would not be a factor. (Neither would any other nutrients in the seeds.)

But, perhaps I'm missing something.

Nighteyes

I've not yet bought into the concern regarding PUFA in fruit seeds that one might consume (say, berry seeds vs. a peach pit) ...
Unless the seed is well ground by chewing, they seem to pass through the digestive tract intact.
And, if the seeds are intact, undigested, PUFA would not be a factor. (Neither would any other nutrients in the seeds.)

This ^

I just had to accept, that if I wanted to eat watermelon I would eat the seeds as well. Takes forever de de-seed it. Those little buggars are everywhere in seemingly random strands. Although I did manage to discover the watermelon's anatomy after many, many disections and the seed CAN be removed as they often lie in these belts. But it is time consuming and I feel I end up getting annoyed with it. So I just dont chew them and sort of "mush" the watermelon in my mouth with my toungue... Doesnt really have to be chewed..

marko9437

How much seed is there by weight in a watermelon anyway? Says here you need 100 of them for 5g in weight.

Edit: Apparently there are 300-500 seeds in one so you're looking at 20g with perhaps 6g of that being PUFA -- if you eat the entire watermelon with all the seeds.

Last edited:

LadyRae

The little white immature seeds are not digested, I can attest from lots of experience lately!?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals