Watermelon gives me cramps. Why?

Callmestar

I've posted elsewhere about some ongoing health issues that cause me dehydration, depletion and fatigue. I've noticed when I eat water melon, I pretty much always start getting craps shortly after. I'm wondering if this might provide a clue as to what's going on with my minerals/electrolytes.

Sounds strange I know but what could it be about water melon that could be knocking me out of balance even further and causing cramps?

On the one hand in general it just feels as though watermelon washes me out and eventually makes me more dehydrated but also I see it is high in potassium so I wonder if thats causing an issue?

I've tried massively upping my salt intake but unfortunately that doesn't seem to have helped.

In general I feel awful depleted as if I'm deficient in something but thus far have been unable to find what it is or find anything to help.

If anyone has any ideas I'd be really grateful to hear them.

Edit: Just to clarify. When I say cramp, I don't mean stomach cramps but muscular cramp in the feet, legs etc.

Last edited:
K

Kayaker

Chocolate may restore your metabolism and ability to retain water.

InChristAlone

Watermelon is high in fructose. Sounds like you have fructose malabsorption which leads to the craps. Look into FODMAP.

OP
C

Callmestar

Chocolate may restore your metabolism and ability to retain water.

From what I've noticed, I actually feel worse after dark chocolate if that makes any sense but I'll have a look. Thanks.

K

Kayaker

From what I've noticed, I actually feel worse after dark chocolate if that makes any sense but I'll have a look.
It may have to be organic chocolate. I've been eating non-organic because of supply shortages and didn't notice the same enlivening effect. Then I tried organic again for the first time, and the difference is amazing. l tossed the non-organic chocolate I accumulated. Some non-organic cacao is sprayed with a fat-soluble pesticide similar to DDT, chocolate being high in fat means it's going to be absorbed and stored in fat tissue and the brain, so it may make people feel worse.

OP
C

Callmestar

Watermelon is high in fructose. Sounds like you have fructose malabsorption which leads to the craps. Look into FODMAP.

Interesting, thank you. Sounds plausible. Yet I don't really have any of the digestive issues that people have with FODMAP problems? Still I will look into this further.

Just edited my original post. When I said cramps I meant body/muscle cramps rather than stomach cramps. Not sure if that's what you thought I meant anyway and if your point still applies?

Last edited:

minni

Curious - do you aslo find that computer viewing sorta speeds your metabolism? Try asking doctor for Neurontin 100mg. See if that helps settle you a bit. Also ensure that arginine foods (at any particular meal you eat), are balanced out with a higher amount of Lysine foods.

I used to get cramps, but found that Neurontin helped settle my system, including post-nasal drip and Migraines (though Rizitriptan is better for migraines).

Note - Neurontin might cause drowsiness.

Lilac

It sounds like you keep eating watermelon even though it is producing discomfort, so I'm guessing you love the taste. Are you eating large amounts at a time? When I get hold of a particularly good watermelon, I find it irresistible and eat, really, too much. At that point, I can get what I call a "liverish" feeling, which I have speculated is fructose overload.

OP
C

Callmestar

Curious - do you aslo find that computer viewing sorta speeds your metabolism? Try asking doctor for Neurontin 100mg. See if that helps settle you a bit. Also ensure that arginine foods (at any particular meal you eat), are balanced out with a higher amount of Lysine foods.

I used to get cramps, but found that Neurontin helped settle my system, including post-nasal drip and Migraines (though Rizitriptan is better for migraines).

Note - Neurontin might cause drowsiness.

You've lost me slightly. I don't notice any speed up of my metabolism from computer viewing.?!

The cramps aren't actually a problem i'm concerned about, I don't get them often. I am just very depleted in general and wondered if the cramping I get from eating watermelons might throw up an logic as to why i'm so depleted and why water melons make it worse.

OP
C

Callmestar

It sounds like you keep eating watermelon even though it is producing discomfort, so I'm guessing you love the taste. Are you eating large amounts at a time? When I get hold of a particularly good watermelon, I find it irresistible and eat, really, too much. At that point, I can get what I call a "liverish" feeling, which I have speculated is fructose overload.

I don't eat them often, almost never now due to them making me feel worse. I just made the post based on memory of this happening and wondered if it might throw up any ideas as to what's making me feel so depleted and why watermelon would make it worse.

But yes when I did eat them, I found them very moreish and find myself wanting to eat a lot.