How Much Fat Do You Guys Eat Per Day?

dukez07

Here are the issues I am having with the RP diet. Trying to go high carb, low fat, high protein, high calorie is not working for me.

2 quarts of OJ will only get you so far. 1 litre of Skimmed milk has barely 400 calories. By this stage, you are ingesting ridiculously huge amounts of liquid. What else is there? dates? Brilliant, they are very high in sugar AND calories... The perfect food? Hardly, they are full of fibre (certainly doesn't agree with my digestive system, in large quantities). Watermelon? Amazing food - but full of PUFA riddended seeds (so, just the process of eating a watermelon is slow and laborious, because you are removing the seeds - even if it is delicious and nutritious). Ok, what do we have now? Errrr, starch, yes great - feed those endotoxins. Starch makes me, and others here, feel like complete ***t. Ok, what about sugar? Brilliant! But devoid of any nutritional content whatsoever. Be preared to crash quickly, if you're going to start living off sugar for calories/nutrional quality.

The truth is, there are no easy carb sources that you can just pick up, and live off without any issues. Breezing through your day, so you don't have to bother thinking about this ***t.

That's why adding fat back in is inevitable. The perfect RP diet just doesn't exist. If you want to go low fat, where are all of your carb sources going to come from, to bulk your calories up? Truth is, OJ is the best option there is - but you have to chug a serious amount of it down each day for it even to make an impact - But most importantly, get your calories in. So you end up bloated from all the liquid, plus you are going to the rest room multiple times per day.

I want to know how much fat you guys are taking in? I think I could do low fat cheese with OJ diet, as my base (just an idea). Get rid of the milk, hopefully resulting in less liquid. I am thinking though, that perhaps getting my calories in - is of far more importance than worrying about the fat issue. Some people here think that you should stick to the 'perfect RP diet', but, the issues I've outlined above means it's impossible. Not only for me, but probably for many others too. Maybe I belong over at the Matt Stone site where less emphasis is put on macronutrients.

Fat has to come back. But at what ratio? What are others doing?

J

j.

But most importantly, get your calories in. So you end up bloated from all the liquid, plus you are going to the rest room multiple times per day.

Today I drank only liquid and 2 eggs. Going to the bathroom hasn't been a nuisance. I think if you have good salt intake, you're less likely to have many restroom visits.

max219

I was doing fat below 40 and over the last month or so I have been around 20 or lower. I was doing mostly dates, but I have ran out lately. So I eat fruit - pineapple, mangoes, bananas, oranges, orange juice, honey/maple syrup (which I pour into cottage cheese or yogurt), in addition to dates and dried fruit like raisins. I keep the protein and nutrients higher with shellfish, egg yolk, and low fat cheese/yogurt. I'll have rice a few times a week though, since I usually don't feel bad after eating it.

Peata

The last few days I'm experimenting with lowering fat. I have between 25 - 35 g. daily.

Typical foods: 1% milk, low fat cheese, 2% cottage cheese, hard-boiled egg, small portions of meats, shellfish, gelatin, potato.

My starch has been lower than usual lately too. But I sometimes have pizza, mac n cheese, white rice.

Sugary stuff: OJ, sugar in coffee and other, maple syrup, honey, canned fruit, fresh oranges, Skittles, Coke, carrot

juanitacarlos

I usually do about 60-70 g per day. Sometimes I do 50 g but if I just eat 'naturally' without thinking of macro-nutrient ratios I eat between 60-70g (which is about 25% for me).

My fat sources are usually 2% milk, coconut oil, butter (if I eat potato), eggs, cheese, and some meat.

I drink about 1.5L milk and 1L of OJ daily. I never used to be able to handle that much liquid but can now. I had to increase my sodium intake at first, but don't do 'added' salt anymore. I still drink about 1L of carbonated water daily on top of that. I drink the milk with coffee and about 2T of coconut sugar. The OJ usually has gelatin in it.

I personally don't feel too good eating very high carb (60% or more), but that is probably just due to where I am at physically - still have lots of healing to do.

Nobody knows your body better than you. So if too much liquid doesn't work, cut back. Trust yourself and your body. The one thing I've noticed since eating more to the Peat principles is that I'm always changing. Like I said, I couldn't drink much fluid at all, but after about 3-4 months I could. So you might not be able to do the milk and juice in large quantities right now, but that could change.

Forgot to mention: I actually was adding salt and sugar to my juice at first. I felt really good doing that; it really worked for me. Was still getting plenty of nutrients through seafood, dairy, OJ, meat etc. I personally don't believe that every single food you put in your mouth needs to be the most nutrient dense food on the planet. My overall diet is very nutrient dense so having sugar in my coffee/juice does not bother me.

OP
D

dukez07

Anyone fancy having a stab at my dilemma?

How do you get sufficient calories from a low fat, high carb, moderate-high protein?

The only thing that can cut it IMO is dates, but they come with ***t loads of fibre. So, individuals like me, who don't react well to high fibre foods are left with little else really. 2 litres of OJ is a huge amount of liquid and that only comes to roughly 1000 calories. I'm 6ft 2. I need at least 3000 calories per day.

Filip1993

Around 50 g fat.

I eat a lot of sugar- dates, oranges, grapes, cooked apples, OJ, white sugar, coke. I usually eat one cup of white sushi rice, it's cheap and seems to digest good.

Protein sources are shellfish, beef, buffalo mozzarella, liver and some days egg yolks.

Filip1993

Have you tried sushi rice? I don't tolerate starches in general, but white sushi rice seems just fine.

octaviankid

Does Peat have a recommend amount of fat/lb of bodyweight? I've always heard 25% or so of total calories..

Filip1993

I have no idea but I can't digest fat at all so I stick with mostly protein and sugar. I think it's very individual.

juanitacarlos

dukez07 said:

How do you get sufficient calories from a low fat, high carb, moderate-high protein?

The only thing that can cut it IMO is dates, but they come with s*** loads of fibre. So, individuals like me, who don't react well to high fibre foods are left with little else really. 2 litres of OJ is a huge amount of liquid and that only comes to roughly 1000 calories. I'm 6ft 2. I need at least 3000 calories per day.

You've sort of ruled out just about all carb sources as they don't work for you. So why are you continuing to want to do high carb/low fat/mod protein if it doesn't work for you? Add some fat back and see how you feel. If you need 3000 calories a day, maybe have some 2% milk rather than skim. Add salt and sugar to any liquids that you drink. Monitor how you feel. Adjust where necessary. Maybe in a few months you will feel different.

Just because it could be ideal to eat a higher carb diet doesn't mean you have to if it's not working. I remember Peat saying a diet of split evenly between eat macro-nutrient is ok too.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Filip1993 said:
Have you tried sushi rice? I don't tolerate starches in general, but white sushi rice seems just fine.
What's the difference between sushi rice and regular white rice?

I have been eating some white rice lately. I really enjoy it and it doesnt seem to cause too much problems with me.

OP
D

dukez07

ttramone said:
dukez07 said:

The only thing that can cut it IMO is dates, but they come with s*** loads of fibre. So, individuals like me, who don't react well to high fibre foods are left with little else really. 2 litres of OJ is a huge amount of liquid and that only comes to roughly 1000 calories. I'm 6ft 2. I need at least 3000 calories per day.

You've sort of ruled out just about all carb sources as they don't work for you. So why are you continuing to want to do high carb/low fat/mod protein if it doesn't work for you? Add some fat back and see how you feel. If you need 3000 calories a day, maybe have some 2% milk rather than skim. Add salt and sugar to any liquids that you drink. Monitor how you feel. Adjust where necessary. Maybe in a few months you will feel different.

Just because it could be ideal to eat a higher carb diet doesn't mean you have to if it's not working. I remember Peat saying a diet of split evenly between eat macro-nutrient is ok too.

Because when my body is running on sugar, as soon as I add fat back in - things start to get very messy. My body doesn't run well on high carbs mixed with an increased fat intake. I tried it today, and I feel lousy. I added in low fat cheese (I totalled about 30g of saturated fat - nothing monstrous) with my high fructose diet, and, energy wise, I am completely all over the place. I refuse to go back to a low carb, high fat diet, because that's where my problems have originated from. Before anyone says it might have been a negative reaction to the brand of cheese, I have tried different types, different brands, low fat, high fat, cottage, 1%, parmesan (the unpasteruized Italian thing), etc, etc. I get the same reaction when adding in high fat milk.

My experiences with Peat carbohydrates haven't all been negative. If my impression of a high carb diet was negative, I wouldn't be investing so much of my energy in persuing it, and I'd be saying goodbye to the RP diet. I've seen many benefits, and that's the reason I'm still here after 4 months. Benefits that definitely warrant me sticking around. I plan to carry on with it, as well. It's just the carb issue, though. You guys talk about how unrestrictive this diet is, but, honestly, it's really not. It's very restrictive indeed if you don't react well to a couple of food groups that make up the bulk of this diet, and the carb options are terrible. Plus the diet is full of flaws (far too much liquids for a start - this is one thing I definitely agree with Matt Stone about). However, I pretty much agree with a lot of what RP says, and he seems to be right about most stuff I come across.

OJ does sit very well with me. I react well to it. So I'm not dissing it. It just doesn't offer enough calories to go with my skimmed milk. You drink 3 litres of skimmed milk per day (for 90g of protein) - that equates to about 900 calories (well, mine does here in the UK). Add in 1 litre of OJ (for carbs) - it's about 500 calories. Add them together, that's just under 1500 calories, for the day. That isn't enough for a little girl. Not to mention, it's a horrendous amount of liquid. How can anyone ever get used to that? It's not enjoyable.

I'm not being negative, I just need help that's all. Any help is much appreciated.

At the moment, I eat dates, watermelon and OJ. Perhaps this is as good as it can get. I guess if I restrict the fat completely, I could play around with adding in table sugar to try and bulk up the calories (I know Danny Roddy adds it to his milk - but how much?).

MightyFall

octaviankid said:

Gary Taubes is celebrating somewhere.

I prefer to stay moderate/low fat. Fruits are more nutrient-dense and are good energy sources. An egg or two a day, maybe a steak every now and then. I'd say 20-30g. Some days lower.

You could try adding more starches. You don't have to strictly follow Peat guidelines. Throw in a potato, some white rice. Make your meals palatable, over time you'll adapt and your body will be able to handle liquids.

The thought of eating another steak or any form of saturated fat made me gag after low carb. It is restrictive and challenging, and butter is nothing to rave about.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I looked on the cronometer and I average 47 grams of fat on about 1800 calories. I'm a pretty small woman. When I started this approach I had been low carb like you and I've only been at this 6 months. I don't really worry much about fat yet but maybe in time I will. I use honey when I don't feel like fluids. I have sugar in my coffee, drink coke from glass bottles and of course a couple glasses of O.J. I do better with the milk with no added vitamins so that means more fat. Hagandazine mentioned well cooked oatmeal and I tried it with honey and it was a nice change. I use white rice too and it's very good with a little coconut oil and a liberal amount of honey. If you like Matt Stone you will appreciate that he believes you have to challenge your digestive system. It sure has taken me a while to get used to feeding my body right and I still have some stomach upsets periodically but thing are moving in the right direction! You can make yummy corn bread too with masa flour. There's a good recipe called old fashioned cornbread on the site gluten free on a shoestring. It's calorie dense and mostly peat ok. Best of luck

juanitacarlos

I think Blossom and Mighty Fall have some good suggestions there. You don't have to be perfect. You should try the masa corn bread. Yum!

Maybe you can help us help you by listing any and all foods that you can consume.

Do you not have access to much fruit? You only mentioned a few fruits.

You keep only mentioning carbohydrates in your total calories required. They are only part of the picture. You say you need to eat 3000 calories. Say if you do 60C/10F/30P, that would equal:

450g carbs/1800 cal
33g fat - 300 cal
225g protein - 900 cal

So you need to find 1800 calories of carbohydrates. A couple of litres of milk (w. sugar and coffee if you like it), a litre of OJ (w. salt and sugar if required) and you are almost there. Add some dates (whatever amount works for you), some other fruits, maybe some honey, some root vegetables with your meat, and you would have more than enough.

I live in the tropics so I don't find 3 litres of liquid a lot - most people walk around with water bottles drinking 2L of water every day anyway on top of the other liquid they have.

Filip1993

Charlie said:
Filip1993 said:

I have been eating some white rice lately. I really enjoy it and it doesnt seem to cause too much problems with me.

I think short grain white rice is easier to digest. I don't tolerate basmati rice that well for example :D There are likely other types of short grain rice than sushi rice too.

Dutchie

Charlie said:
Filip1993 said:

On the Kickas forum I've read that sushi rice/sticky rice is higher in Amylopectin compared to other rice types,which should make it easier to digest and thus be less food for gutbacteria.