Starting With K

Hey all,

Looking to start trying out some supplements. At the moment I only do gelatin twice a day, a raw carrot once a day, and liver and oysters twice a week each.

I'm wanting to start with K because I'm interested in its hair effects. My local store sells Life Extension K complex.

Any recommendations on brand, dosing, effects to look for, or necessary vitamins/ supplements to take with it?

Thanks!

EIRE24

Hey all,

Looking to start trying out some supplements. At the moment I only do gelatin twice a day, a raw carrot once a day, and liver and oysters twice a week each.

I'm wanting to start with K because I'm interested in its hair effects. My local store sells Life Extension K complex.

Any recommendations on brand, dosing, effects to look for, or necessary vitamins/ supplements to take with it?

Thanks!
How much liver do you do a week in total?

OP
T
  • I buy about a pound and divide it into two servings with about 3-4 days between.
  • But I may be phasing it out as unfortunately I haven't found any organic grass fed near me...

tara

I buy about a pound and divide it into two servings with about 3-4 days between.
That's 2-3 times as much as Peat recommends (4-6 oz/week). Possible slight suppressive effects?

But I may be phasing it out as unfortunately I haven't found any organic grass fed near me...
I can sometimes get organic, sometimes not, but I think it's worth having any way. More important to me is freshness.

OP
T
What sort of suppressive side effects?

And does eating liver negate the need for Vitamin K supplement?

tara

What sort of suppressive side effects?
Large amounts may be anti-thyroid. Not sure if it's via vit-A or proteins or other factors.

And does eating liver negate the need for Vitamin K supplement?
AIUI, liver probably has enough for normal daily needs (10s or 100s or mcg). It might be enough to cover small aspirin intake, but if eating more aspirin, maybe more vit-K would be wise. Or extra greens. If you are wanting to emulate some of the high vit-K experiments Haidut has reported on for a specific purposes, that would be very hard to get from food, so look up the specifics.
Some here use that Life Extension K complex and seem happy with it. Others use Thorne (me so far) or Healthnatura (I intend to try it soon), and maybe other brands.

OP
T
Thanks @tara! I'll drop back on the liver then to once a week to be safe. Just gotta figure out how to properly tore the rest...

I'm not doing any aspirin right now, the K was my first idea of trying to start supplements... it all seems a bit complicated to navigate still and thus daunting to step into that.

I was mainly considering the K for any break of calcification on the scalp to decrease shedding, and improve hair density. Topical Mag Oil has been recommended as well. I've been messaging with @Benjamin Button and he's got quite the list that's helped him out! Just wanna go into it fully knowledgably, balanced, and with affordability ;)

tara

I'll drop back on the liver then to once a week to be safe. Just gotta figure out how to properly tore the rest...
I buy a kilo or so at a time and store it in serving sizes or smaller in the freezer. Hoping that retains most of the goodies.

it all seems a bit complicated to navigate still and thus daunting to step into that.
Yeah, I know what you mean.
Vit-K is probably one of the safer things to try - I don't think I've read much about people having trouble from it.

I don't have much of a picture of the specifics of hair growth/loss, but vit-K is probably helpful against unwanted calcification in general.
I don't see much down side to mag oil either, except that some of us find it irritiates the skin. If so, diluting with water may help.

bionicheart

I wanted to start taking Vitamin K (thorne's research) for tarter and calcification.. But I've taken it twice and both times I get palpitations, irregular heartbeat and increased heart rate.
What does this mean, and how do I correct this? I have mitral valve prolapse too.. Not sure where to post this, thanks!

Frankdee20

I wanted to start taking Vitamin K (thorne's research) for tarter and calcification.. But I've taken it twice and both times I get palpitations, irregular heartbeat and increased heart rate.
What does this mean, and how do I correct this? I have mitral valve prolapse too.. Not sure where to post this, thanks!

A lot of users report this, all over Health forums, not just this one. I have read anecdotes of people correlating the MK7 version with palpitations. Honestly, you're using Thorne (MK4 only) so then it's not exclusive to 7. No idea, I take super K (1, 4, 7) and get significant feelings of being charged up, insomnia, vague anxiety, even with 2-3,000 IU D3, and the RDA of Calcium from food. Also use Magnesium supplements to balance out. Thus far, only conjecture (from what I've read) has explained why K does this. That I won't get into because I haven't seen actual science, just people's guesses.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals