Vitamin K And Insomnia

ddjd

Take some aspirin to counteract. I personally find it amazing for sleep quality. Funny how we're all so different

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Yeah I like Aspirin, I've only ever done 325 mg day, 3-4 x a week. I like my Vitamin E as well. I try not to take them on the same day, but now that I'm using the K and D, I can't take them all daily. I eat low fat, so whenever my biggest meal is, I'll take a fat soluable. Can I take Aspirin and E at the same meal ? Or is that risking bleeding? I would think they have synergies on Estrogen.

mattyb

I responded very poorly to Thorne's MK-4. Over the course of several weeks it gave me very high blood pressure, made me intolerant to caffeine (which lasted years, only recently getting better), and ended with me having a severe adrenergic response (hypoglycemia, hypotension, etc.) where I broke out into a cold sweat and nearly passed out.

Back when this was happening I found a document from a Phase 1 clinical trial of Vitamin K2, showing that about 1% of subjects had extremely adverse reactions to K2 - so it's not unheard of.

Constatine

I responded very poorly to Thorne's MK-4. Over the course of several weeks it gave me very high blood pressure, made me intolerant to caffeine (which lasted years, only recently getting better), and ended with me having a severe adrenergic response (hypoglycemia, hypotension, etc.) where I broke out into a cold sweat and nearly passed out.

Back when this was happening I found a document from a Phase 1 clinical trial of Vitamin K2, showing that about 1% of subjects had extremely adverse reactions to K2 - so it's not unheard of.
Probably due to vitamin K robbing the tissues of calcium. You really need high vitamin D levels to take vitamin K. Even if that is not the mechanism of action the other fat solubles and magnesium seem to be needed to respond well to K.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

Damn, yeah I'm doing Calcium from Milk, yogurt, and Almond Milk, along with 1-2,000 IUs of D3, and my usual 400 mg of Magnesium Chloride. Seem to be okay now.

mattyb

Probably due to vitamin K robbing the tissues of calcium. You really need high vitamin D levels to take vitamin K. Even if that is not the mechanism of action the other fat solubles and magnesium seem to be needed to respond well to K.

That doesn't seem to explain much. I started taking it in mid-summer, when I was spending ~4 hours outside every day and had a good tan going. No reason for magnesium levels to be low either. Was drinking plenty of milk and eating yogurt at the time too.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I believe the amount of Magnesium is yogurt beats that of milk, but it's still negligible. At best you may have gotten 50-100 mg from those.

mattyb

I believe the amount of Magnesium is yogurt beats that of milk, but it's still negligible. At best you may have gotten 50-100 mg from those.

My magnesium intake has always been above the RDA (use Cronometer fairly consistently), mostly due to coffee, greens, and supplemental mag.

mattyb

What about your calcium, vitamin A, and E intake?

Drank lots of milk, calcium was over or around the RDA for sure. I've also been lucky enough to get a pQCT scan of my bone mineral density (this is different than the DEXA, more accurate, gives a cross-section of the bone) prior to experimenting with K2 while in a research position, and I can definitely say that I had above average mineralization/density as well. Vitamin A intake was adequate back then (regularly consumed liver/eggs), and Vit E intake has always been low because I don't respond well to supplemental Vitamin E.

I dunno, maybe this is crazy, but maybe some people just don't respond that well to K2 due to factors that we don't understand yet?

Constatine

Drank lots of milk, calcium was over or around the RDA for sure. I've also been lucky enough to get a pQCT scan of my bone mineral density (this is different than the DEXA, more accurate, gives a cross-section of the bone) prior to experimenting with K2 while in a research position, and I can definitely say that I had above average mineralization/density as well. Vitamin A intake was adequate back then (regularly consumed liver/eggs), and Vit E intake has always been low because I don't respond well to supplemental Vitamin E.

I dunno, maybe this is crazy, but maybe some people just don't respond that well to K2 due to factors that we don't understand yet?
Yeah the body is very complicated. Have you tried any other brand besides Thorne? I've known people that respond differently to different brands. Thorne has vitamin E in it which you are apparently not supposed to take with K.

mattyb

Yeah, MK-7 variants of K2 were fine for me. I never noticed any effect from them one way or another.

I've been turned off from ever trying K2 again though after my incident with Thorne's.

docall18

Ya I also get insomnia from topical Thorne and Kuinone k2.

It feels to me like it lowers cortisol, and if you have poor glycogen stores, you end up waking frequently with hunger and adrenaline.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

I think that initial crazy feeling I got from K had subsided. I take it with D3 5,000 IU, as my level was 23. I balance it with A occasionally, and get enough Magnesium from supplements. The magnesium Glycinate from Pure Encapsulations is pretty numbing and will quell any anxiety typically. Honestly don't know why the K effects people this way, Haidut mentioned altered Calcium metabolism.

OP
Frankdee20

Frankdee20

How much Calcium should one be ingesting from food/supplements when using MK4/7 and D3 at 5,000 IU ?

stsfut

I am having a bad experience with LE super k also. About 2mg of k that I’ve been taking every few days to counteract the 162mg aspirin I take daily. I get headaches and feel my tmj coming back.

Nicole

I have a lot of genetic variants expressing intensely, legitimizing the value of genetic interpretation and adjusting lifestyle when called for it. I was told I have a rarely seen issue with metabolizing Vit K that can result in "panic like" symptoms. My health story is too long and f***ked up to explain, so I'll parking lot that for now...but would topical K be a good option pulsed maybe 2 x's a week in hopes to move calcium into bones when appropriate? This is my goal while I sort out sex hormones. I am taking very low doses of D (1000iu), Ca and other minerals (severely allergic to dairy and pretty much everything on the popularized RP Diet (sadly just not for me ;). If topical a better option for a more even intake at lower doses, what brand would be best? Thanks!