Anyone Not Supplementing K But Relying On Foods Only?

Peata

Sorry if this has been asked already. I did a couple searches and didn't see the same topic.

I went through a bottle of K2 when I first started this woe, even though it was a tiny amount of K in each capsule. Now I don't take any K. Instead, I get some through greens (spinach, beet, cabbage, etc.) once or twice a week. Anyone else just rely on food or are supplements the better way for K?

My aspirin usage seems small and sporadic since I'm still not sure about using it (thinking it could mess up my stomach or something). Some days I don't take it, other days I take 1/4 a pill to a whole pill.

freal

Peata said:
Sorry if this has been asked already. I did a couple searches and didn't see the same topic.

I went through a bottle of K2 when I first started this woe, even though it was a tiny amount of K in each capsule. Now I don't take any K. Instead, I get some through greens (spinach, beet, cabbage, etc.) once or twice a week. Anyone else just rely on food or are supplements the better way for K?

My aspirin usage seems small and sporadic since I'm still not sure about using it (thinking it could mess up my stomach or something). Some days I don't take it, other days I take 1/4 a pill to a whole pill.

Vitamin k2 and vitamin k1 are two different thing, some say that k1 can be converted to k2 completely some say not. K2 can take all the functions of K1, but not necesarry the reverse.

Only foods which are rich enough in k2 to make a difference:

Dutch hard cheeses: 76 mcg/100g
French soft cheeses:56mcg/100g
Grass fed dairy- vitamin k2 in the fat:?????
Natto:1100mcg/100g
Goose liver pate:369mcg/100g
Other liver:????????
Pepperoni pork or beef: 41.7mcg/100g
chicken, depends on the part of animal:10-30mcg/100g

Problems becomes if you are dairy intolerant, I havent tried natto(they dont sell in Europe) and goose pate is very expensive.

Other sources of k2:" http://foodinfo.us/SourcesUnabridged.aspx?Nutr_No=428 "

Jenn

I don't supplement at all, but my cows are pasture fed. I don't eat greens at all. I eat lots of gelatin. I started out with one aspirin/day and over the course of a year worked up to 2-3 per day because I was dealing with chronic back pain. YEARS later, I take up to 6 - 12 aspirin/day depending on the season and my needs. I have taken up to 18 in a day with no issues. It was a REALLY stressful day in the middle of winter.

Gabriel

Jenn, did the Aspirin reduce the pain? Did you notice an increase in gastric issues (pain, bloating) or bleeding (bruising, nosebleeds)? I'm always interested in learning what effects Aspirin has..

Jenn

Aspirin plus potassium plus magnesium all worked together to release those muscles, which had locked up, calcified. I could barely walk to the bathroom at one point. When I first started 3 aspirin/day too many days in a row might cause a small, finger tip size bruise. I would then back off to 2/day for a while. No nose bleeds really unless the air was super dry, maybe one day in winter. It was actually less that I used to get when I was younger. Zero stomach issues, actually stomach/ digestive improvement. I always took with a glass of milk or OJ or I chewed it. The danger of a hole in the stomach lining is caused by the concentration just sitting there. You could do similar damage with salt just sitting there. Uncoated(the cheap stuff) is better for that reason, so it will actually dissolve. The coated stuff stays intact too long.

Aspirin is not just for pain, it aids in cellular respiration, aids brain function, thinking ability.

Now having said all that, I had enough stomach lining to not be bothered by tomatoes or OJ or coffee acid wise. If someone is sensative to those foods, then they may need be careful with doses. Stomach lining it use it or loose it.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks for the replies!

Jenn, I have some sort of problem with the back of my neck/upper shoulder on the right side. Basically from the base of my skull going down the right side of my neck to the shoulder blade area. It's been going on for a few years, after I woke up one morning unable to move my head, stiff, in terrible pain. The worst of it lasted 3 days, and I treated it with aspirin (way before my Peat days). Chiropractic adjustments work very temporarily and I've pretty much given up on that. I massage it or have my DH massage and that seems to help more than anything, but it has to be a deep, hard massage. I can feel how tight the muscle is all the time, and my neck feels like it needs "cracked". Then there is this crackly stuff I can break up with my fingers if I dig down between the muscle. I wonder if the aspirin and minerals will help as I keep using them. I don't supplement potassium and I'm usually lower than the RDA in it each day.

I'm going to try to take epsom salt baths a few times per week. Did you supplement potassium or get it through foods? Or does your body use what potassium you get better if your magnesium and sodium levels are up (Both of those have got to be up for me - I'm using more than I ever have).

honeybee

RE; I have that type of neck pain also-its probably stress and ergo/desk/keyboard related for me. A good masseuse once showed me where those muscles attached at the base of your skull. If you press VERY firmly on them, the musles loosen up immediatley. It's amazing. You can do it your self once you find someone to show you where they are located-at the very base of the skull above the neck.

Jenn

Would you believe I just wrote out a long, elaborate post...then lost it because I wasn't signed in yet?

Anyway, to summarize:
Pain is sometimes due to calcification. Sufficient potassium and magnesium and sugar are mandatory to help decalcify a cell.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thank you, honeybee. I am planning to get a massage sometime this summer and I'll pay attention to what she does to release those muscles.

Ah darn, sorry you lost your post, Jenn. Hate when that happens. I'm not sure if I should be supplementing with potassium or not. I notice I am below the RDA pretty much every day. I wonder if I actually have less need to supplement potassium if my other minerals are up though. Do you know?

Also, about the sugar. Any idea how much sugar I should get per day? I think I average around 200 g. per day. Pretty much all the added sugar is coming from putting it in coffee.

OP
Peata

Peata

I'll read up on how to take cream of tartar for potassium.
Thanks again!

OP
Peata

Peata

I found a full little bottle of cream of tartar in the cabinet - I must have bought it for a recipe. Anyway, I put a level teaspoon of it in a cup of OJ with some salt and pinch of baking soda.

Sorry to keep bugging you, Jenn, but do you or anyone know how much I should supplement per day?

I get an average of 3 g. sodium per day and probably 250 mg. magnesium (also below RDA). I use magnesium topically though.

Jenn

I have taken up to 5 TBS of CoT in a day, to bowel tolerance. It's like magnesium, but it takes a LOT more to create loose stools.

I can't handle that much now that I have gotten caught up. I just add it to food now, especially dishes not inherently high in potassium already....rice, spaghetti or sugar added recipes.
Not coffee, oh no, never in coffee, tried that...it's nasty.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Just wanna throw this in there.

Do you think cream of tartar is a good source of getting extra potassium when needed?

Ray Peat said:
I think Morton's salt substitute, KCL, is better.

When I tried cream of tartar it gave me heartburn and seemed to mess me up a bit. :2cents

honeybee

Charlie do use the kcl like salt for your food?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
No I don't. Although I do have some and might try to add some at some point to see if I notice anything.

OP
Peata

Peata

Charlie, thanks, I'll look for Mortons next time I'm at the store.

I do like CoT in orange juice. It gives it an extra tang (not a harsh acid-like tang to me, but more like Sweet Tarts) :)

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Jenn said:
How much did you take to give you heartburn? Are you sensative to OJ?

Cream of tartar is cheaper and locally available. I have never seen Mortons in the local stores.

Not much. And no I drink OJ every day with no problems.