Any help truly appreciated. Starting thyroid without labs.

sprinter

I am going to try and make this concise as possible, as I could really use advice.

I switched to Peat inspired eating two months ago because I have been sick with consistent colds and fatigued for past few years. I've always had very cold hands, feet, nose. I am 28 years old, male, 6'5, 210 pounds at 17% body fat. Despite being somewhat thin, I have excess fat around my wasit and a very puffy face. I also have dandfruff and a scalp condition. I also have really bad anxiety and adrenaline and tend to get anxious over small things.

Currently my pulse first thing in morning is 60 and my temp 96.8. My pulse gets up to around 72 and temp 98.6 midday. It seems that I am hyperthyroid then? I have no health insurance so it is hard for me to get testing done, so I'm just going off temps and pulse.

Here is my current diet and supplement protocol.

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, Coffee, 325mg Aspirin, 1mg Vit K

-Carrot, White Vinegar, Salt, Coconut Oil (refined)

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, Coffee, 2-3 pastured Eggs, Coconut Oil, Gelatin, 4000IU VitD

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, Coffee

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, Coffee, Gelatin, Coconut Oil, Rotated liver, oyster, shrimp, beef, mussels, cod, etc

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, sometimes Cheese, sometimes more 325 aspirin & 1mg K

My question is this: should I be taking Cynomel and/or Cynoplus?

I got both yesterday, and based off of what I've read, my plan was to take 1/10th or 1/8th of a Cynomel once or twice a day for about 10 days and then switch to Cynoplus. I took the 1/10th Cynomel today and have been feeling SO tired with allot of brain fog and I also got a bit depressed and panicky. I was expecting to feel energetic. An hour after I took it, my pulse was 72 an temp 97.4. I don't think thats much higher then usual at that time.

I know a part of me feels nervous that I am taking thyroid without knowing as much about this stuff as I would like to or without having obtained labs. But I have also read that Peat feels most everyone could benefit from thyroid and that pulse and temps are best indicators... and it seems that I qualify. Do you think I should I keep going with taking thyroid? Are my risking irreversible damage to my health and metabolism by taking thyroid? Does my plan for dosing seem good?

Thanks for reading and thank you for any advice.

Stilgar

Re: Any help truly appreciated. Starting thyroid without la

Take the small dose and don't jump up quickly. Be consistent but be slow. You will soon know if it is too much by virtue of how you feel - racing pulse, too hot, insomnia, shaky etc are things to look out for. If you can push through it, do, you will feel better in the end. If it is too much, drop back and take a break.

I had no labs done, had a pulse of 60, coldness, fatigue etc, and I have been on NDT for 4-5 months. The first few weeks were hell, pretty weird and scary and I have had strange days since. Insomnia, dizziness and leg pain were the worst bits for me. It has taken some experimentation, but I am now consistently warmer, happier and healthier. My pulse is closer to 75 too now.

With dandruff, I can only recommend continuing as you are with thyroid supplementation (I know little about the choice between cynomel and cynoplus), exploring vitamin A, and keeping damp levels as low as possible in your house. That is what triggers mine every time, and I find it is just not an issue in the summer.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Thanks for the advice.

If I do decide that I started Cynomel prematurely and stop, does anyone know how long one could be affected by a single 2.5mcg dose?

aquaman

Stilgar said:
I had no labs done, had a pulse of 60, coldness, fatigue etc, and I have been on NDT for 4-5 months. The first few weeks were hell, pretty weird and scary and I have had strange days since. Insomnia, dizziness and leg pain were the worst bits for me. It has taken some experimentation, but I am now consistently warmer, happier and healthier. My pulse is closer to 75 too now.

What was your route to getting here?

aquaman

sprinter said:
I am going to try and make this concise as possible, as I could really use advice.

I switched to Peat inspired eating two months ago because I have been sick with consistent colds and fatigued for past few years. I've always had very cold hands, feet, nose. I am 28 years old, male, 6'5, 210 pounds at 17% body fat. Despite being somewhat thin, I have excess fat around my wasit and a very puffy face. I also have dandfruff and a scalp condition. I also have really bad anxiety and adrenaline and tend to get anxious over small things.

Currently my pulse first thing in morning is 60 and my temp 96.8. My pulse gets up to around 72 and temp 98.6 midday. It seems that I am hyperthyroid then? I have no health insurance so it is hard for me to get testing done, so I'm just going off temps and pulse.

Here is my current diet and supplement protocol.

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, Coffee, 325mg Aspirin, 1mg Vit K

-Carrot, White Vinegar, Salt, Coconut Oil (refined)

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, Coffee, 2-3 pastured Eggs, Coconut Oil, Gelatin, 4000IU VitD

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, Coffee

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, Coffee, Gelatin, Coconut Oil, Rotated liver, oyster, shrimp, beef, mussels, cod, etc

-OJ, 1% Milk, Salt, sometimes Cheese, sometimes more 325 aspirin & 1mg K

My question is this: should I be taking Cynomel and/or Cynoplus?

I got both yesterday, and based off of what I've read, my plan was to take 1/10th or 1/8th of a Cynomel once or twice a day for about 10 days and then switch to Cynoplus. I took the 1/10th Cynomel today and have been feeling SO tired with allot of brain fog and I also got a bit depressed and panicky. I was expecting to feel energetic. An hour after I took it, my pulse was 72 an temp 97.4. I don't think thats much higher then usual at that time.

I know a part of me feels nervous that I am taking thyroid without knowing as much about this stuff as I would like to or without having obtained labs. But I have also read that Peat feels most everyone could benefit from thyroid and that pulse and temps are best indicators... and it seems that I qualify. Do you think I should I keep going with taking thyroid? Are my risking irreversible damage to my health and metabolism by taking thyroid? Does my plan for dosing seem good?

Thanks for reading and thank you for any advice.

Watch how much you urinate. For me this would be way too much fluid, I'd be peeing every hour and feeling shaky.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

Aquaman, I do pee allot more then I'd like and I do often feel shaky. I thought OJ, Milk and Coffee are some of the best things you scan eat... After including a carrot salad, eggs and meat or fish once a day... i really dont know what else to eat. Sometimes I have honey in place of OJ.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

I think I'm going to discontinue to use of thyroid medication for now... I just been feeling way too weird (in a bad way) all day long. Should I expect any further side effects in the coming days or weeks from this one small dose?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

sprinter said:
Should I expect any further side effects in the coming days or weeks from this one small dose?
It should pass quickly.

aquaman

sprinter said:
Aquaman, I do pee allot more then I'd like and I do often feel shaky. I thought OJ, Milk and Coffee are some of the best things you scan eat... After including a carrot salad, eggs and meat or fish once a day... i really dont know what else to eat. Sometimes I have honey in place of OJ.

I try to go heavier on eggs, cooked fruits with cinnamon since they are denser calorie-wise (apples, bananas cooked in butter and sugar- although some warn about bananas), some meat or shellfish with lunch, cheese etc

Mashed potato seems to work for me, so I eat a lot of this.

I think standard "peat" diet on this site is too liquid-heavy particularly for people recovering from Hypo. RP is fine having more fluids because he's not hypo but maintaining his health.

OP
sprinter

sprinter

I've read some old posts and it seems that most people say that taking cynomel by itself can be bad.

Charlie, I see you consistently recommend starting off with 1/16th of a tab. Is that of cynomel or cynoplus?

I'm thinking I may try the Cynoplus for two weeks instead. Can someone recommend an appropriate starting dose of Cynoplus and the best time to take it?

Really do want to wake up with a higher pulse then 60!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

sprinter said:
Charlie, I see you consistently recommend starting off with 1/16th of a tab. Is that of cynomel or cynoplus?
I take Thiroyd. I have a friend about to start and she will probably take 1/16th or 1/8th a day for at least 2 weeks but 4 weeks would be being optimal to give the T4 time to build up.

Stilgar

aquaman said:
Stilgar said:

What was your route to getting here?

In what sense? I take Thiroid, started with 1/8-1/4 mostly, with some impatient leaps to higher doses, and up to 1 1/4 tabs at one time. Now I take 3/4 daily, and have been on that for a month or two consistently.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

When I dose thyroid there is a zone that I get in to. My very first clue that my metabolism is slowing down and I am under medicated, is that I start burping a lot after meals due to digestion slowing down. So I know its time to bump up the dose. You will know when you are on too much because its an uneasy feeling but for me I have learned its nothing to be alarmed about, no need to add more stress. Either I wait it out, or slightly decrease. In summer time I got down to a half a pill a day, I am now at 1.75 pills in the middle of winter. It seems to be leveling off here at 1.75. Once the days start getting longer you should need less and less thyroid supplement until you hit the middle of summer and then the decrease would start again on the march towards winter.