Questions on Aspirin, Tinnitus, K, and Aspirin usage

Eth

Hey all,

I realize this topic has been talked about before here, but I never stumbled upon a real conclusion, so I'm going to ask it here.

One of my friends stumbled upon some studies linking long-term Aspirin usage over 325mg can lead to or exasperate tinnitus. I have been taking around 1-1.5 grams of Aspirin for around the past month, and I haven't noticed any harmful effects, but this has me somewhat worried. I found a post here where it is claimed that Glycine deficiency may be the culprit here, so I am wondering if I should just be supplementing appropriate amounts of Glycine, although I already take ~3 grams every night.

I'm also wondering about Vitamin K usage with Aspirin, and whether or not I should be taking K with Aspirin. I know that peat recommends 1mg K for every 325 mg Aspirin, but I never noticed any ill side effects from the Aspirin usage, so I never took K with it.

So, 2 main questions: Should I be taking Glycine with Aspirin, or is the 3g I take a night sufficient? And should I be taking K with Aspirin? If I do need to be taking K, what should my method be for taking both Aspirin and K? As a side note, I just take Gericare Aspirin tablets as is, I dont disolve it in water or take it or anything, If thats important to know.

Also wondering what @haidut thinks of this, if that isnt a bother.

Thanks everyone!

always take K2MK4 when you take aspirin. Doses of maybe 1 or 2g per day don't cause tinnitus and I'm not sure that high doses do. Dr. Peat always said 1mg per aspirin tablet of K2 MK4, at least. Not needed at the same time, but the same day.

OP
Eth

Eth

always take K2MK4 when you take aspirin. Doses of maybe 1 or 2g per day don't cause tinnitus and I'm not sure that high doses do. Dr. Peat always said 1mg per aspirin tablet of K2 MK4, at least. Not needed at the same time, but the same day.
Thank you for your response!

How do you take your K2 MK4? I found some liquid droppers online, would just taking a few drops by mouth in the morning suffice, or should it be mixed in with some kind of drink?

Thank you for your response!

How do you take your K2 MK4? I found some liquid droppers online, would just taking a few drops by mouth in the morning suffice, or should it be mixed in with some kind of drink?

by mouth, I add it to food.

cami06

Hey all,

I realize this topic has been talked about before here, but I never stumbled upon a real conclusion, so I'm going to ask it here.

One of my friends stumbled upon some studies linking long-term Aspirin usage over 325mg can lead to or exasperate tinnitus. I have been taking around 1-1.5 grams of Aspirin for around the past month, and I haven't noticed any harmful effects, but this has me somewhat worried. I found a post here where it is claimed that Glycine deficiency may be the culprit here, so I am wondering if I should just be supplementing appropriate amounts of Glycine, although I already take ~3 grams every night.

I'm also wondering about Vitamin K usage with Aspirin, and whether or not I should be taking K with Aspirin. I know that peat recommends 1mg K for every 325 mg Aspirin, but I never noticed any ill side effects from the Aspirin usage, so I never took K with it.

So, 2 main questions: Should I be taking Glycine with Aspirin, or is the 3g I take a night sufficient? And should I be taking K with Aspirin? If I do need to be taking K, what should my method be for taking both Aspirin and K? As a side note, I just take Gericare Aspirin tablets as is, I dont disolve it in water or take it or anything, If thats important to know.

Also wondering what @haidut thinks of this, if that isnt a bother.

Thanks everyone!
Hello, Guy( o Gal). I'm here, like a lot of other people, looking for some answers to a personal health problem. I'm working on trying to correct pre-diabetes and have tried various approaches. Aspirin is touted as one of the possible avenues of approach. I worked my way up to the recommended six grams per day over about two weeks and was taking two grams of aspirin three times per day. After three days at this level I woke up one morning with about an 80 per cent hearing loss. Aspirin is not as inocuous as some people make it out to be and, from personal experience, I can tell you that it can be extremely ototoxic. Thankfully my hearing returned to normal after 3 or 4 days. I still take 325 mg twice a day without any apparent untoward effect.
Good luck with your journey.

Pete Rey

I've been prone to short bouts of tinnitus since I was young, and have been taking 2g/day for about a year with no worsening effect. If anything it seems like I've had less episodes this year though I haven't been counting and logging them to know for sure.

I have been taking one gram of aspirin for several years. The glycine + aspirin combo is because benzoic acid derivatives (which are metabolites of aspirin) are conjugated with glycine 1:1 before elimination in the urine. Because Glycine's molecular weight is about half of aspirin, you would only need to take half as many mg of glycine as you are taking of aspirin, assuming 100% bioavailability. Since this availability can change a lot depending on feeding and protein status my rule of thumb is 2x the amount of aspirin in mg's.

Because glycine is broadly inhibitory, taking doses greater than 2 grams of aspirin could lead to auditory nerve stimulation if it is not compensated with glycine.

cami06

I have been taking one gram of aspirin for several years. The glycine + aspirin combo is because benzoic acid derivatives (which are metabolites of aspirin) are conjugated with glycine 1:1 before elimination in the urine. Because Glycine's molecular weight is about half of aspirin, you would only need to take half as many mg of glycine as you are taking of aspirin, assuming 100% bioavailability. Since this availability can change a lot depending on feeding and protein status my rule of thumb is 2x the amount of aspirin in mg's.

Because glycine is broadly inhibitory, taking doses greater than 2 grams of aspirin could lead to auditory nerve stimulation if it is not compensated with glycine.
At the time I had the problem with my hearing from the aspirin I was taking...and still am... five grams of glycine per day. Not a biochemist but I guess there will always be individual sensitivities. Maybe the fact I was taking five grams allowed me to recover rapidly from a rather scary event. I also suffer from tinnitus and the level of tinnitus was not affected neither up or down but the threshold of hearing was severely reduced. Home administered self test of hearing had me in the severely hard of hearing range.

At the time I had the problem with my hearing from the aspirin I was taking...and still am... five grams of glycine per day. Not a biochemist but I guess there will always be individual sensitivities. Maybe the fact I was taking five grams allowed me to recover rapidly from a rather scary event. I also suffer from tinnitus and the level of tinnitus was not affected neither up or down but the threshold of hearing was severely reduced. Home administered self test of hearing had me in the severely hard of hearing range.
Perhaps the inhibition of prostaglandin synthesis also played a role. Also, when taken in a non-fasted state the bioavailability of glycine goes down. But the fact that you recovered an 80% hearing loss in a few days means glycine probably helped you quite a bit, as you say.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals