Aspirin And Vit K

Bodhi

Hello !

I have a question...

Few years back i went to see an amazing Ayurvedic doctor who teached me the benefits of Ghee(grass fed)
His advice with my constitution was to take one teaspoon of medicated ghee (its a ghee with herbs like turmeric and some bitter herbs to promote bile production) Before every meal.

I still do this...

First question is does anyone know how much vit K is in those 3 teaspoons a day?

The reason i ask this is i wanna start using aspirin..

I still do not know how much aspirin one should take...

Another thing is that i'm from Holland and aspirine cost about 4 euro's for 20 tabs...
When i look at US website u can get 1000 pills for like 15 bucks...

I cannot seem to order from those websites, any advice on cheap aspirin is welcome...

Bodhi

YuraCZ

Bodhi said:
First question is does anyone know how much vit K is in those 3 teaspoons a day?

Bodhi
Negligible amounts.. I think 100 mcg a day from supplement (can be mk7 from natto) is enough. But Thorne (synthetic mk4) in doses 3 drops per day is way better.. If you want to take vit K2 only from food, you can eat natto- 30g a day is enough or 2-3 good quality organic pastured egg yolks..

OP
Bodhi

Bodhi

Thanks Yura,

I thought i could get good amounts from my diet, because i'm on a fair amount of saturated fats and dairy no i'm sure that when i start using Aspirin i wil have to use K as well...

Vinero

I'm not sure about ghee but butter is a poor source of vitamin k. Gouda cheese, Brie cheese, and eggs are good sources of vitamin k2. Spinach or kale is extremely high in vitamin K1 and can be used when you have bleeding problems with the aspirin. Vitamin k2 is better for bone and teeth health, calcium metabolism etc. Vitamin k1 is mainly involved in the blood clotting system, so more useful for countering the potential blood thinning effects from aspirin.
I'm from the Netherlands too and I buy the Bayer brand 500mg per tablet. I use up to 4 tablets a day without any Vitamin K. Never gave me any problems. I have used the Life Extension Super K in the past but didn't notice any difference. I can take it or leave it. Don't worry about the Vitamin K if you eat cheese and eggs etc. I never eat spinach or kale though because aspirin doesn't cause me problems.

Can I ask you what benefits Ghee has over regular butter?

schultz

Vinero said:
Vitamin k1 is mainly involved in the blood clotting system, so more useful for countering the potential blood thinning effects from aspirin.

Apsirin is an anti-platelet and vitamin K is involved in secondary clot formation, so I'm not sure taking vitamin k would counter-act the blood thinning effect of aspirin.

I always thought that we take vitamin K with aspirin because salicylates are vitamin-k antagonists, so it could effect vitamin k dependent clotting factors because of this antagonism.

Admittedly, I don't know that much on the subject so I'm hoping someone else chimes in here...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3726 ... t=Abstract
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3187938

Vinero

Yes you are right. Ray said that aspirin makes you use up vitamin k faster. In other words salicylates are vitamin-k antagonists. Anyway taking vitamin k is adviced especially if you take high doses of aspirin. Vitamin E is a vitamin k antagonist too, so taking both aspirin and vitamin E can potentially be dangerous without some vitamin k. I personally take either aspirin or Vitamin E, but never both. They both overlap in their effects anyway.

OP
Bodhi

Bodhi

Vinero said:
I'm not sure about ghee but butter is a poor source of vitamin k. Gouda cheese, Brie cheese, and eggs are good sources of vitamin k2. Spinach or kale is extremely high in vitamin K1 and can be used when you have bleeding problems with the aspirin. Vitamin k2 is better for bone and teeth health, calcium metabolism etc. Vitamin k1 is mainly involved in the blood clotting system, so more useful for countering the potential blood thinning effects from aspirin.
I'm from the Netherlands too and I buy the Bayer brand 500mg per tablet. I use up to 4 tablets a day without any Vitamin K. Never gave me any problems. I have used the Life Extension Super K in the past but didn't notice any difference. I can take it or leave it. Don't worry about the Vitamin K if you eat cheese and eggs etc. I never eat spinach or kale though because aspirin doesn't cause me problems.

Can I ask you what benefits Ghee has over regular butter?

Yes you can, According to Ayurveda ghee is clarified butter, so it's cooked for a long time so all the milk solids are scooped off... the advantage is that it can get deeper into the tissues so it suppose do detoxify you better.
Ghee can also raise to higher temperatures then butter, and you can leave it on a shelve without going rancid i guess this is cause it's so hot in india, another thing is that the ghee's i buy from the organic shops are always grass fed, wich is not so easy with butter ....

So you spend 24 euro's for a month of aspirin? You know i'm willing to spend allot on health but there are so many more supps one needs , this is why i think we have to pay so much for aspirin is ridiculous...

schultz

Bodhi said:
So you spend 24 euro's for a month of aspirin? You know i'm willing to spend allot on health but there are so many more supps one needs , this is why i think we have to pay so much for aspirin is ridiculous...

24 Euro a month!?!? Wow I can get a pound of aspirin powder for like $10 in Canada.

ntking51

When taking aspirin with vit k do you guys take them at the same time because they have opposite effects? Or do you take them at different times?

Lenny

Im from NL also, I use kruidvat storebrand aspirine. It is 2.40 euro I think. It does have 100 mg of additives, while bayer has 50 mg.