What could it mean if Vitamin K supplements causes asthma symptoms?

Nick

This happens with the Thorne and the the idealabs (olive oil) k2 mk4 products, orally or topically, so I don't think it's a digestive irritation. 1mg orally or 3mg topically produces the effect. A low-ish dose causes me to get wheezy with moderate exertion lifting weights or doing manual labor, a higher dose and I will wheeze at night without any exertion. Vitamin K in foods like grass fed cheddar doesn't do it but I think the amount is much smaller. I find a lot of benefit in daily aspirin but without supplementing vitamin K it has occasionally caused easy bruising if I take too much.

Any ideas as to what could cause this reaction, what it might mean about overall health, and if there is any way to address it? I believe Ray has talked about lowering of blood sugar causing asthma symptoms at night but I'm not sure what the connection to vitamin K would be.

artist

Vitamin K started to make me feel bad when I (believe) I developed calcium deficiency. Food for thought…

yerrag

Doesn't Ray prefer Vitamin K only? Not K2?

I just eat foods rich in Vitamin K2. Just so happens I already it cooked green leaves for calcium and magnesium, and it already is rich in vitamin K.

I haven't looked for vitamin K supplements as a result.

amd

From what he said not long ago, he's taking K1 and seemed to trust his liver to convert it, but he didn't express a preference.

It may be lowering your calcium too much.
When I was experimenting with K2, and I was taking too much, I found myself hyperventilating or feeling like I couldn't catch my breath.
Stopping the K2 and getting more calcium would stop the breathing symptoms.
Even a 1mg oral dose of K2 can affect the levels depending on your diet.

Re: Hyperventilation
"I think it's a defensive action to maintain basic pH homeostasis. Both lactic acid and CO2 make the system more acid. Lots of biochemical reactions need the body to be in it's normal pH range to function optimally. Ideally, it can use allkaline mineral buffers. But if they are body's alkaline buffers are inadequate, it has to do something, and chronic hyperventilation may be the next best thing it has control over. I'm not sure in this part, but I think the body can also use alkaline mineral buffers to help maintain pH, if they are available plentiful."

xeliex

Forum Supporter
Ditto to some posters.

I could reliably induce heart palpitations with K2, unless I am eating around 2g calcium per day with vitamin D

Another possibility is that excipients or contaminants in the product are irritating the gut in turn inducing asthmatic symptoms. In that case try another brand.

Phosphor

To me that would indicate an allergic reaction to something in what you are taking. I never understand why people don't recognize "oh my body doesn't like this" and just stop.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals