Apparently Vitamin K Does NOT Stop Aspirins Blood Thinning

yoshiesque

I was talking to my GP today about taking aspirin daily in small doses and he is pretty open minded and agreed that it shouldnt be a problem.

I then said I would take Vitamin K to negate the blood thinning effects of Aspirin and he said it wouldnt work. He said Vitamin K would only work against blood thinners like Warfarin.

Apparently there are two different ways in which you can make the blood thin and Vitamin K would only stop the Warfarin method, not the Aspirin way.

He explained it in detail as to how blood thins and clots but honestly it was a bit too advanced for me lol.

So I wanted to post this with you guys and get your input.

tara

He explained it in detail as to how blood thins and clots but honestly it was a bit too advanced for me lol.
You've got a dr who explains what he's thinking in detail? Whether or not he turns out to be right on this, I like the sound of that feature in a dr.
I don't know the answer, but I wonder if you discussed the difference between K1 and K2?

DaveFoster

Considering how many people are on Warfarin, I don't see how thin blood is a problem unless you're rock climbing with bare hands.

Stryker

vitamin k1 is needed to carboxylate prothrombin and blood coagulation factor 8 , then it is recycled by vitamin k epoxide reductase and re - participates in the carboxylation . Warfarin stops vitamin k1 being recycled by inhibiting vitamin k epoxide reductase.

Aspirin inhibits blood clotting in 3 main ways.

- It impairs platelet aggregation
- It reduces thrombin generation
- It acetylates lysine in fibrinogen

Vitamin K1 is involved in the production of prothrombin in the liver which is then cleaved by Factor X to make Thrombin therefore i dare say reduced levels of vitamkin k1 in the blood result in reduced levels of thrombin and when added to the effect of aspirin can result in uncontrolled bleeding and restoring levels of vitamin k1 could help restore the balance.

Considering how many people are on Warfarin, I don't see how thin blood is a problem unless you're rock climbing with bare hands.

Yeah it just blocks vitamin K, what could go wrong :ss

tara

Are you kidding?
You know it's also known as rat poison, right?
I'm sure it can be the lesser evil in some situations, but it does tend to make people bleed very easily. So can aspirin. I know one person on low dose aspirin who bleeds often (sometimes several times in a week) without even noticing that they bumped themselves. Blood pouring down the leg or hand. Increased risk of bruising and brain bleeds with not-such hard knocks. (There are reasons for keeping the blood thin in this case, and I am not qualified to judge if the balance is optimal, so I'm not pushing for vit-K supplementation. Eats some greens and cheese.)
The dose makes the poison, and the individual's tolerance to different things varies. Most people are fine on low dose aspirin.
As I understand it, Peat has suggested sth in the order of 200mg aspirin/day for general use (with vit K), and much more only for particular conditions.

Last edited:

BastiFuntasty

I always had problems with nosebleeds, aspirin worsened it. Then I came to use Estroban and the nosebleeds were gone, so I think that k2 definetely helps with bleeds. Doesn't mean it stops the bleed from thinning, which isn't bad, isn't it?

paymanz

He said Vitamin K would only work against blood thinners like Warfarin.
exactly, warfarin lowers an enzyme which recycles vitamin k2 and that is why it cause soft tissue cacification.but aspirin?i still dont understand peats recommendation to take k with aspirin!

DaveFoster

Yeah it just blocks vitamin K, what could go wrong :ss

Are you kidding?
You know it's also known as rat poison, right?
I'm sure it can be the lesser evil in some situations, but it does tend to make people bleed very easily. So can aspirin. I know one person on low dose aspirin who bleeds often (sometimes several times in a week) without even noticing that they bumped themselves. Blood pouring down the leg or hand. Increased risk of bruising and brain bleeds with not-such hard knocks. (There are reasons for keeping the blood thin in this case, and I am not qualified to judge if the balance is optimal, so I'm not pushing for vit-K supplementation. Eats some greens and cheese.)
The dose makes the poison, and the individual's tolerance to different things varies. Most people are fine on low dose aspirin.
As I understand it, Peat has suggested sth in the order of 200mg aspirin/day for general use (with vit K), and much more only for particular conditions.
I don't mean Warfarin isn't harmful; I was talking about the benefits of minimizing clotting with regard to aspirin.

Of course both excess bleeding and clotting are harmful.

jyb

exactly, warfarin lowers an enzyme which recycles vitamin k2 and that is why it cause soft tissue cacification.but aspirin?i still dont understand peats recommendation to take k with aspirin!

Well aspirin is also calcifying seeing that a common effect is tinnitus, and a standard way to reverse it is supplementing K2 (I've been there before). Same for excessively thin blood and bruising - reverse by K2. So, I assumed that aspirin depleted K2 directly just like it has been shown for warfarin.

If aspirin disables coagulation factors, vitamin K makes more of them...

sladerunner69

I feel "weird", yeah. More specifically I feel the symptoms of blood thinning/low blood pressure, and with higher doses of aspirin this can even include blurry vision and difficulty to concentrate. Subsequent supplemental aspirin never seems to fail as a remedy. Also there is a peculiar sort of fake, rigidity of thought/perception that accompanies aspirin until I consume vit k that is somewhat intangible but after years of aspirin use I have become familiar with. A strange, mental sort of discomfort.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals