Is There Any Hope For Me To Take Aspirin?

Peata

I was taking very small amounts of aspirin over the summer, just nibbles here and there, and I don't know if it had much effect. Then by Fall, I was taking 1/2 to 1 aspirin daily. Not a lot to most on here, but I was trying to be cautious.

I was also drinking too much Coke. 3 - 4 cans per day. I know this amount wasn't good for me, but it was just something I indulged in at the time. I've since stopped drinking that much.

One day in the middle of October, I had the worst stomach pains of my life. It felt like the lining of my stomach had been dissolved away. I stopped eating/drinking anything that could be aggravating the problem, and my stomach healed. I can't remember how long this took, days to a week or so...?

So since then if I've had pain, like in my neck, I'll take an aspirin or two and it seems fine. Don't notice the stomach problem. This isn't daily use though.

A couple days ago, I decided to try daily aspirin again. I used BC powder. My stomach hurt some - slight burning feeling.

I didn't take any aspirin yesterday, stomach fine.

Today I tried it again with some juice, and my stomach hurts a little.

I also take a K supplement when I take the aspirin, btw.

Can you think of a way I might be able to take aspirin without the stomach issue?
Or does it mean I just can't take it or shouldn't be taking it?
Should I go to safety coated? I thought there was some reason it wasn't recommended - because it just dissolves further in the digestive tract and can cause problems there, maybe.
If I can't use aspirin, is there something else I can take/drink that will work in a similar manner to aspirin?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
How about dissolving it in water and drinking that with a meal?

5magicbeans

You mentioned taking BC powder. I noticed that several times after taking BC powder I would have some stomach irritation too. I'm wondering if it is from the added potassium?
This has never happened with the regular aspirin I take by dissolving in water first. I frequently take as much as 6 tablets throughout the day and drink oj after with no issues.

OP
Peata

Peata

The bitter, sour taste of aspirin bugs me so I was dissolving it in other liquids or chewing it up quickly and washing it down - but maybe I should use plain water, which would be more gentle than juice. I'll try it and also make sure I have a full stomach before I take it.

5MB, I'm not sure if something in the BC powders bothered me - I think it was just the harsh aspirin itself. I was surprised the directions said you could just eat the powder straight. I'm wondering if some people put it under their tongue and that gives faster relief. I think that would kill my stomach if I didn't have something to buffer it though.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just chimed in on the topic because I had read that in the Ray Peat email depository. I'm sorry to hear about your issue with aspirin, I take about 5000 mg per day and use the CVS brand listed on toxinless that only has starch added. You could try it with baking soda as well and create your own buffered aspirin? In the email depository the pet aspirin powder was mentioned as a low additive source.

OP
Peata

Peata

The aspirin I was taking back in summer and fall was low additive, just starch. I think it's the aspirin itself that hurts me. I added baking soda to what I took yesterday. I took it with juice though. But I want to keep trying, so I'll dissolve it in water with some baking soda today and see what happens. Thanks again.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I hope it works out. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't tolerate aspirin. I believe you can buy the crystals with nothing else but I'm not sure where. When I first started I had some compounded with calcium carbonate as the filler and I loved those but they were $35 for 100 capsules. I have thought about asking at the compounding pharmacy if I could just by the equivalent amount in powdered form. I'm sure if they didn't have to put it in capsules it would be cheaper.

Ben

Blossom said:
I hope it works out. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't tolerate aspirin. I believe you can buy the crystals with nothing else but I'm not sure where. When I first started I had some compounded with calcium carbonate as the filler and I loved those but they were $35 for 100 capsules. I have thought about asking at the compounding pharmacy if I could just by the equivalent amount in powdered form. I'm sure if they didn't have to put it in capsules it would be cheaper.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2821

Pure aspirin powder for animals. Same as human aspirin but doesn't have fillers/binders. I used it for a while without a problem. I read somewhere that the dosage is 325 mg per 1/32 tsp, but I don't have a scale so I didn't verify that claim. I take a 1/4 tsp dose in hot water neutralized by baking soda three times per day, or estimated 7800 mg. Sodium aspirinate is less potent, so dosage varies. Don't have any stomach irritation from it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Blossom said:
You could try it with baking soda as well and create your own buffered aspirin?
:1 on the baking soda.

fyo

You can take it topically. Dissolve in water and pat it on your skin with a paper towel.

OP
Peata

Peata

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

This is the third day I've taken aspirin dissolved and my stomach is doing better. I still don't like the sour, bitter aspirin taste (which I can taste no matter what I mix it in) - it's kind of a peppery flavor. But today I dissolved 2 aspirin in 1 c. water with 1/2 t. baking soda and 1/2 package of an energy drink mix. I sipped it slowly, and my stomach is only very mildly irritated. That's a big step up from the mild/moderate irritation I got the two days prior.

Ben

Do you notice any effects from the sodium aspirinate? I barely noticed anything from high doses of it or aspirin.

Lin

How do you guys take the aspirin? Peat says to dissolve it in water, then drink the sour water. My question is, do you let it settle and drink just the water? Or do you also drink the insoluble sour granules in the bottom of the glass?

HDD

I dissolve it in a spoon (or chew it) and then take it all, followed by OJ or coke.

Lin

I had just been drinking the water and leaving the sediment. Wow, that stuff (sediment) burns all the way down!

Yves

I use the animal aspirin powder (1tsp = 6grams). I started making my own capsules, some with caffeine (aspirin/caffeine ratio of 8/1) or just vitamin c (1-1 ratio) depending if I want the stimulant or not. The vitamin C will protect your stomach [1]

[1] http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17218764

Ben

Yves said:
I use the animal aspirin powder (1tsp = 6grams). I started making my own capsules, some with caffeine (aspirin/caffeine ratio of 8/1) or just vitamin c (1-1 ratio) depending if I want the stimulant or not. The vitamin C will protect your stomach [1]

You might wanna read this thread, if you haven't already.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3179

I learned my lesson on taking aspirin powder without dissolving it, so I started to dissolve in hot water and add baking soda. I have had no stomach issues even with high doses. Did you actually weigh the powder? I'm taking 3/4 tsp or so a day.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2916

Yves

Ben said:
Yves said:

You might wanna read this thread, if you haven't already.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=3179

I learned my lesson on taking aspirin powder without dissolving it, so I started to dissolve in hot water and add baking soda. I have had no stomach issues even with high doses. Did you actually weigh the powder? I'm taking 3/4 tsp or so a day.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2916

According to the package 1tsp = 6grams. Interesting about the vitamin C, but the package of vit c I bought shows the chemical analysis. Contamination and heavy metals were very low.