Shortness of breath and chest pain from too much b1?

Bounce

Forum Supporter
Dear guys,

two years ago I started taking b1. I started with 100mg hcl and immediately had good changes in digestion. I took it regularly for a while and then on and off.

Since a few months I was psychologically worse and worse and thus I increased the intake to daily 250-500mg (at this time I took it but already almost two years continuously). Because i read all the good articles about ptsd and something. I taked it most of the time with sango coral powder (about 300mg mag and 600mg Calcium). I didnt supplement pottasium tbh but drank oj.

Four weeks ago I started waking up every night with shortness of breath, waking up and having a very strange feeling in my body plus tightness and pressure in my chest. I assumed it was psychological. I practiced buteyko, but nothing helped.

I paused the b1 intake for a day. I still had sleep problems but it was not as bad.

One day later (four days ago today) I took 500mg and felt really weird all day. Dry mouth, completely exhausted. At night I had such severe shortness of breath that I had to call the ambulance. But somehow it was clear to me that it must be the b1. And today by chance I also found a thread here from someone who also got chest tightness and other from b1.

So I haven't taken b1 for the last three days, but still slept poorly and woke up at night.

Is there any way to drain excess b1 (if there is such a thing) out of the body? I don't think it has been good for me.

Looking forward to answers

mostlylurking

Dear guys,

two years ago I started taking b1. I started with 100mg hcl and immediately had good changes in digestion. I took it regularly for a while and then on and off.

Since a few months I was psychologically worse and worse and thus I increased the intake to daily 250-500mg (at this time I took it but already almost two years continuously). Because i read all the good articles about ptsd and something. I taked it most of the time with sango coral powder (about 300mg mag and 600mg Calcium). I didnt supplement pottasium tbh but drank oj.

Four weeks ago I started waking up every night with shortness of breath, waking up and having a very strange feeling in my body plus tightness and pressure in my chest. I assumed it was psychological. I practiced buteyko, but nothing helped.

I paused the b1 intake for a day. I still had sleep problems but it was not as bad.

One day later (four days ago today) I took 500mg and felt really weird all day. Dry mouth, completely exhausted. At night I had such severe shortness of breath that I had to call the ambulance. But somehow it was clear to me that it must be the b1. And today by chance I also found a thread here from someone who also got chest tightness and other from b1.

So I haven't taken b1 for the last three days, but still slept poorly and woke up at night.

Is there any way to drain excess b1 (if there is such a thing) out of the body? I don't think it has been good for me.

Looking forward to answers
Although I don't think that 500mg of thiamine hcl is a particularly high dose (I take 2 grams/day), my understanding is that the extra thiamine is peed out pretty quickly (1-2 hours) because it is a water soluble vitamin.

Thiamine hcl, taken orally, has a poor absorption rate in the small intestine. This is why a higher dose of it is needed compared to TTFD thiamine. According to Dr. Costantini, taking 2 grams of thiamine hcl per day orally for 7 days equals to taking one 100mg of thiamine hcl by injection per week.

OP
Bounce

Bounce

Forum Supporter
Thanks guys. But first i will stop it.

I have b2 at home. How much you would recommend? I will also take sango coral powder tomorrow again for the mag.

Unfortunately i dont tolerate citrate/threonate/glycinate.

OP
Bounce

Bounce

Forum Supporter
That was the Thread from the other dude with strange reactions:

mostlylurking

I will also take sango coral powder tomorrow again for the mag.
Have you really researched this product?
A quick search for "sea of Okinawa contamination" provides alarming results:

from here: Frequently Asked Questions - Sango Coral Life
"The coral used for Sango Coral Life comes from the sea of Okinawa, recognized as among the cleanest in the world, with no concerns regarding contamination. This product has been passed by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare as a food additive."

OP
Bounce

Bounce

Forum Supporter
Have you really researched this product?
A quick search for "sea of Okinawa contamination" provides alarming results:

from here: Frequently Asked Questions - Sango Coral Life
"The coral used for Sango Coral Life comes from the sea of Okinawa, recognized as among the cleanest in the world, with no concerns regarding contamination. This product has been passed by the Japanese Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare as a food additive."
Thank you.

I buy them from a premium Supplement Store in Germany with Lab Tests on their Page:

The Problem is that i cant tolerate other mag forms. Mag taurate i never try. Maybe i should do that.

mostlylurking

Thank you.

I buy them from a premium Supplement Store in Germany with Lab Tests on their Page:

The Problem is that i cant tolerate other mag forms. Mag taurate i never try. Maybe i should do that.
I got the information about the source for the coral in the supplement from the manufacturer's website. Sorry, I wouldn't take it after reading about it.

Supplementing with thiamine improves magnesium tolerance. I use magnesium glycinate. I have had no problems with it since I've been high dosing thiamine hcl (2.5 years).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBxWivhBdpA

dfspcc20

@Bounce are you having coffee or other source of caffeine at any time during the day?

Beatrix_

Overdosing with vitamin B1 can lead to sulfur overload and increase the need for B6 which would be the most obvious cause for shortness of breath. Now beware of high doses of B6, because this can lead to irreversible nerve damage. If taking P5P, double the attention!

OP
Bounce

Bounce

Forum Supporter
Last night was horrible again.
I woke up around 8 times. Sometimes with shortness of breath, sometimes just with anxiety.

There is a chance that is all happen because of my ptsd and some conflicts i have right now in my live, but i dont think so.

I will give myself a week without thiamine and see if things getting better.

to get my magnesium on a normal level again i took yesterday evening a really small amount of a mix of: glycinate, citrate, carbonate and a bit b6

in total it was about 80mg. But i feel how the glycinate (and citrate) have an effect on today. My head is heavy and i feel a bit dizzy. But its not super strong. Maybe i need to adapt to it.

Last edited:

Beatrix_

You must feel instant relief, don't do things that make you feel worse. The excess sulfur is probably blocking B6 activation, in this case only P5P will help. Always aim for the smallest effective dose since excess blocks enzymes and lower doses are better absorbed.

Beatrix_

Additionally, B6/P5P should not be taken long term, 1 week should solve the problems. It can raise serotonin too much and is safer when taken along with B2.
Molybdenum is important in sulphur metabolism too.
Yes, but Mo deficiency should not cause shortness of breath. Mo supplementation will increase the need for copper, it's a snowball...

youngsinatra

Additionally, B6/P5P should not be taken long term, 1 week should solve the problems. It can raise serotonin too much and is safer when taken along with B2.

Yes, but Mo deficiency should not cause shortness of breath. Mo supplementation will increase the need for copper, it's a snowball...
„Molybdenum deficiency resulting in decreased activity of sulfite oxidase and sulfite toxicity occurred in a patient receiving long-term total parenteral nutrition. Symptoms were tachycardia, tachypnea, headache, nausea, vomiting, and coma.“

Tachypnea is quick, shallow breathing. This makes you feel like you’re not getting enough air.“

OP
Bounce

Bounce

Forum Supporter
First i want to get magnesium on a normal level.

But even this bit of mag glycinate last evenings gives me strong headaches today...

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals