Numbness In Limbs Every Night And Tingling In Left Arm

Antarehs

I'm very concerned about my vascular health, as I wake up several times a night with numb/tingling limbs (that "fallen asleep" feeling) and the daytime tingling of my left arm (and occasionally other limbs) that I've been experiencing occasionally since 2014 has increased in frequency and it's now a almost permanent.

I'm particularly worried since I know the side effects of the omeprazole I've been on and off since 2013. I'm more on it than off, due to the excruciating esophageal pain, tightness of chest, etc. I get after I'm off of it for 2 months, which is the most I'm able to be off of it.

I already take K2 (MK7) and Progest-E, B1, B3 and B6, Westhroid + additional T3, and recently started taking additional niacin and magnesium glycinate, and I do Epson salts baths. Has anyone had success reversing this night numbness and daytime tingling? I'm thinking it is due to vascular issues rather than neuropathy (or maybe both) due to the numbness I get when I sleep or don't move for a while.

Thank you!!!

Last edited:

tara

How much B6 are you taking? I think there is a thread or two discussing possible neuropathic effects of excessive supplementation. I supplement B6 regularly too, but I keep it pretty small.

I guess you've had someone check for skeletal alignment issues?

squanch

How much B6 are you taking? I think there is a thread or two discussing possible neuropathic effects of excessive supplementation. I supplement B6 regularly too, but I keep it pretty small.
Yes, especially if it's pyridoxin HCL. From what I've read the P5P form is a lot safer.
I think B12 deficiency has similar symptoms?

Last edited:

Birdie

Okay, so the omeprazole has been thought to cause malabsorption of B12 when you take the stuff for a long time. Like other HCl inhibitors... And, as you know, it has paresthesia listed as a reported side effect.

Maybe you could start by searching the forum for Peat's recommendations for reflux. I did that back sometime. Also, I went to his own articles for advice.
I don't remember what advice of his I applied, but I rarely have refux problems anymore. There are studies out there that show it's a lack of stomach acid rather than too much... Something to consider. I know omeprazole gives you relief, but maybe something else will give relief without the problems... Worth making a study of it.

Peatful

This is exactly what I was thinking.
If this was me I would stop the B6 & reassess in a month.

T

tca300

Have you checked your cholesterol level recently?

Taking thyroid while having low cholesterol can cause neuropathy, probably from driving cholesterol too low.

Statins can cause it, and be reversed by discontinuing its use.
There is at least one case of a man with actual hyperthyroidism ( indicated by blood work, heart rate, etc.. ) who reversed his neuropathy after a few months of taking medication to lower thyroid function.
I suspect it has something to do with low cholesterol. When my total cholesterol drops below about 140 ( lowered by thyroid ) I get it in my arms and shoulders from sleeping in a non agreeable position. Stopping thyroid, and getting plenty of fructose from fruits seems to make it go away after a week or so. Thats my experience! Just food for thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Antarehs

Antarehs

I take 20 mg of B6 because I had high homocysteine. I don't take it continuosly, though, because I know excessive supplementation with B6 is indeed neurotoxic.

I have been going to a chiropractor, but it doesn't seem to help.

OP
Antarehs

Antarehs

I take on and off 20 mg of B6, both because otherwise I have high homocysteine and because the omeprazole interferes with the absorption of B's in general. It actually keeps you from absorbing B12 and I was indeed seriously deficient until 2012, when I was prescribed injections of B12, which then brought up the B12 to very good levels. But I haven't tested the B12 for a while, so it's possible it may be low again.

Yes, especially if it's pyridoxin HCL. From what I've read the P5P form is a lot safer.
I think B12 deficiency has similar symptoms?

OP
Antarehs

Antarehs

Well, my digestion is pretty bad. Between the GERD and having had the gallbladder removed 20 years ago, I don't do very well at all.

How is your digestion? I get this when my endotoxin is high.

OP
Antarehs

Antarehs

My total cholesterol is pretty high, around 240. Granted, it's not all LDL... The HDL is pretty high too, making the total cholesterol seem worse than it is. But still, LDL has always been high when I was a vegetarian, raw vegan, paleo, and now. It has been going up over the years, regardless of what I ate. Nothing seems to have ever made a difference... High carbs, no carbs, dairy, no dairy, grains, no grains, grassfed meat, no meat, high fiber, low fiber. No difference in my lipids profile whatsoever.

Thank you for the food for thought, though! :)

Have you checked your cholesterol level recently?

Taking thyroid while having low cholesterol can cause neuropathy, probably from driving cholesterol too low.

Statins can cause it, and be reversed by discontinuing its use.
There is at least one case of a man with actual hyperthyroidism ( indicated by blood work, heart rate, etc.. ) who reversed his neuropathy after a few months of taking medication to lower thyroid function.
I suspect it has something to do with low cholesterol. When my total cholesterol drops below about 140 ( lowered by thyroid ) I get it in my arms and shoulders from sleeping in a non agreeable position. Stopping thyroid, and getting plenty of fructose from fruits seems to make it go away after a week or so. Thats my experience! Just food for thought.

OP
Antarehs

Antarehs

I was told it was probably either a cardiovascular or a neurological issue. Seen a cardiologist today trying to get better blood tests than the usual lipids panel, so I don't have tests results yet.

What does your doctor say?

Matt1951

Keep us updated with your results. My belief, and my doctor agrees, cholesterol level is largely genetic, it won't change a lot with diet changes. Avoiding the chiropractor is a good idea. I think Tara, Squanch and Birdie all gave good advice. Are you diabetic?

Gl;itch.e

Could just be nerve entrapment. Check your pillow and sleep posture. If your neck is all kinked up and you sleep like a pretzel this could explain it.

Ewelina

How is your digestion? I get this when my endotoxin is high.
I have the same issue with endotoxins. When I overload on foods high in histamine my hands get numb and puffy at night but when I'm careful they don't.

DaveFoster

My total cholesterol is pretty high, around 240. Granted, it's not all LDL... The HDL is pretty high too, making the total cholesterol seem worse than it is. But still, LDL has always been high when I was a vegetarian, raw vegan, paleo, and now. It has been going up over the years, regardless of what I ate. Nothing seems to have ever made a difference... High carbs, no carbs, dairy, no dairy, grains, no grains, grassfed meat, no meat, high fiber, low fiber. No difference in my lipids profile whatsoever.

Thank you for the food for thought, though! :)
Are you sure you're taking enough thyroid?

OP
Antarehs

Antarehs

Pre-diabetic.

Keep us updated with your results. My belief, and my doctor agrees, cholesterol level is largely genetic, it won't change a lot with diet changes. Avoiding the chiropractor is a good idea. I think Tara, Squanch and Birdie all gave good advice. Are you diabetic?

OP
Antarehs

Antarehs

Possibly not enough. Temperature is fine and pulse is already too high as it is, but I've gained almost 20 Lbs. in 7 months while going to the gym and eating about $1,000-1,300 calories a day.

Are you sure you're taking enough thyroid?

HLP

How's your water consumption? Do you drink water in the evening? Less is more IMO. You could be crashing your electrolytes if you drink too much water. Try milk or juice instead for a few days and see what happens. It could be a quick fix.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals