Constant Chest Pain after using Magnesium Supplement incorrectly

JayLuz91

I've been struggling with Chronic Constipation for most of my Adult life. I discovered a supplement called "Mag07" about 6 months ago. This supplement gave me regularity and for the first time in what felt like forever I was free from being constipated.

The issues began when I made the foolish mistake of using more than the recommended dosage a few months ago. For some reason I began to assume that I could use a higher dosage of Mag07 whenever I had a large meal. So for many months I was taking 5-6 capsules daily when I should have been taking only 3. There was also a day I took about 8 capsules of Mag07, I remember relaxing at home and then randomly feeling some very sharp chest pain especially on the left side of my chest. I was super scared. It took me awhile to even realize it was the Mag07 that caused it and ever since I've completely dropped the supplement. However, from time to time I still get a tightness and sharpness in my chest. It feels exactly like how it felt the day I took too many capsules of Mag07, however, now it is generally a brief discomfort. The issue is it happens a few times daily.

What really scares me is my blood pressure is normal every time I check. Plus, I play basketball regularly and feel fine. I need to find a way to get rid of this issue, any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

I'm.No.One

Sounds like, with great effort, you might have given yourself hypermagnesemia.

Basically overdosing on magnesium, cardiac issues are a symptom because it's a pretty legit electrolyte disorder.

Might be good to go get a blood draw to see what your levels are then work on balancing your electrolytes without... using magnesium which is in every prebought option.

OP
J

JayLuz91

@I'm.No.One I just read this online: "Magnesium oxide is generally safe when used in appropriate doses. However, taking large amounts over long periods can lead to high blood magnesium levels, or hypermagnesemia, which is a serious condition that can be fatal."

Yikes. Looks like I unintentionally almost killed myself smh. Any ideas on how I can "Balance electrolytes"?

I had chest and heart pain after lots of topical mag oil. Drinking lots of water helps to get rid of magnesium excess. Calcium might be helpful too. I would make serum electrolytes bloods first.

I'm.No.One

You kinda IMHO need to get labs at this point to see what minerals etc that you have thrown out of balance.

If not you're kinda swinging in the dark & that's not something great to do with an imbalance so severe it's messing with your heart.

I mean, maybe some OJ/Potatoes for potassium which I *think I recall can be depleted from too much mag.

So eat a potato then go to the doctor 😅

MayaPapaya

I've been struggling with Chronic Constipation for most of my Adult life. I discovered a supplement called "Mag07" about 6 months ago. This supplement gave me regularity and for the first time in what felt like forever I was free from being constipated.

The issues began when I made the foolish mistake of using more than the recommended dosage a few months ago. For some reason I began to assume that I could use a higher dosage of Mag07 whenever I had a large meal. So for many months I was taking 5-6 capsules daily when I should have been taking only 3. There was also a day I took about 8 capsules of Mag07, I remember relaxing at home and then randomly feeling some very sharp chest pain especially on the left side of my chest. I was super scared. It took me awhile to even realize it was the Mag07 that caused it and ever since I've completely dropped the supplement. However, from time to time I still get a tightness and sharpness in my chest. It feels exactly like how it felt the day I took too many capsules of Mag07, however, now it is generally a brief discomfort. The issue is it happens a few times daily.

What really scares me is my blood pressure is normal every time I check. Plus, I play basketball regularly and feel fine. I need to find a way to get rid of this issue, any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
You can start with Blood test for RBS Magnesium level (Magnesium in Red blood cells) , or Magnesium in urine(24 hours urine collection for electrolytes).They are the most accurate tests, but not serum Mg.

OP
J

JayLuz91

I didn't want to overreact but I'm on the verge of going to the hospital over this. I don't have insurance so I try not to go to the Hospital unless I absolutely need to but I'm having arrythmia and chest pain. The crazy thing was most of my symptoms subsided for a few weeks but are back all of a sudden.

I did want to get that RBS Magnesium blood test but with the way my chest feels at times it might be better to have some medical attention right away.

Dolomite

Forum Supporter
Maybe you are getting some extra adrenalin symptoms once some pain starts because of stress. Have you tried eating some sugar to lower the adrenalin? If you drink milk, some sugared milk might be good, or ice cream. I would avoid chocolate and caffeine. Also, some bag breathing for a minute or two might help.

OP
J

JayLuz91

I went to the ER, they performed an EKG and it came back normal. They told me any further testing would be $3000 so I declined and left. Back to square one :/

Peatful

I went to the ER, they performed an EKG and it came back normal. They told me any further testing would be $3000 so I declined and left. Back to square one :/
Do you salt your food?

Salt.
And cut back on your fluids.

Peatful

OP
J

JayLuz91

@Peatful thanks for the info. Right now I'm looking at what tests I need done. Intuitively, I think I need to get my Potassium levels checked.

Also, I'll probably do an Electrolyte Panel. The only issue is for the Electrolyte panel I need to not use any supplements for 7 days and I generally use a few supps for general health.

OP
J

JayLuz91

For anyone familiar with Potassium tests, which is better Serum testing or RBS testing for Potassium?

Texon

This happens to me too dude. I don't take magnesium anymore because it just lowers my cortisol and strength too much.
Fascinating..this is the first time I've ever heard of magnesium lowering cortisol as you mention.

OP
J

JayLuz91

Just a quick update. I did both an RBC Magnesium and RBC Potassium test. Ironically enough both my Magnesium and Potassium levels are below Normal range. Now, I'm trying to find ways to get them back up to Normal levels. Potassium I know I can get from food but it seems like that will take quite some time. I'm using Magnesium Malate right now in an attempt to raise my Magnesium levels.

I've been drinking a lot of V8, eating beans, bananas etc. Still though from time to time I still get these weird arrythmias so I know things still aren't quite right.

If anyone knows how one can quickly raise Magnesium and Potassium levels please let me know. Thanks.

artist

@JayLuz91 boron greatly increases retention of both calcium and magnesium (by 50% I believe). I have a long history of supplementing magnesium without calcium (including low calcium diet) and developed serious heart palpitations that calcium (alongside boron) cured. I continue to take magnesium and calcium together.

Jessie

Hypermagnesium is exceedingly rare. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but you would almost need to be drinking several liters of mag-bicarbonate water daily to make that happen. I don't see how this could be achieved with mag oxide. Potassium toxicity would be easier to achieve.

Since your test results came back negative on both, I'd look for other possible areas. Chest pains and angina can be partially alleviated by boosting eNOS. Forcing glucose oxidation can also help. It just so happens mildronate does both of these.

You can probably replicate mildronate's effects by taking Pyrucet and large dosages of vitamin C. Vitamin C upregulates NOS, and Pyrucet will encourage glucose oxidation.

Also by large doses of vitamin C I'm talking 5-7 grams daily. Don't be afraid to try this, it's quite safe and something Linus Pauling has recommended for cardiac patients.

My mother takes 2 grams of vitamin C 3x daily for her heart condition. She does have one stent from a prior heart attack. But after stating vitamin C (and vitamin E) she hasn't had anymore major issues. Her EKGs have all been normal too.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals