Seborrheic Dermatitis Upon Peating

Kray

Re: Seborrheic dermititis upon Peating

Haagendazendiane said:
Here is the info on the rats and b6 .

"The idea of "essential fatty acids" (sometimes called "vitamin F") appeared in the 1930s, as a result of tests in which rats developed a skin disease on a fat-free diet, and recovered from the skin disease when fed unsaturated fats. (Other researchers at that time observed that the rats became hyper metabolic on the fat-free diet, as though they were taking thyroid hormone; it was later discovered that the unsaturated fats inhibit the secretion and transport of thyroid hormones, and block the ability of tissues to respond to them.) Shortly after the concept of "essential fatty acids" was proposed, another group recognized the rats' skin disease as the typical changes produced by a vitamin B6 deficiency. They fed rats a fat-diet until the symptoms appeared, then cured the disease with a vitamin B6 supplement, without any of the supposedly essential fatty acids. The high metabolic rate of the rats, in a diet without the inhibitory oils, made them eat more, and they needed more vitamins as well as more calories.

"Nutrition for Women"

Ben,

The above is from earlier in this thread. Would you comment on this in light of our more recent discussion about PUFA and dermatitis? Sorry, I'm having a little trouble synthesizing all of it.

Thanks
:?

Kray

Ben said:
Charlie said:
I actually bought this zinc spray one time a while back, but never used it because wasnt sure if it was safe. Here is the link to it:

http://www.supplementspot.com/z-care-spray.html#

Think its safe to use? Here are the ingredients.

Water, SD Alcohol, Zinc Pyrithione 0.25%
[The worst that can happen with the SD alcohol is dried skin, so I think it's a good idea to try it and see how you respond to it. I may order it in case I decide to have some fun in the sun.]

Ben,

Just noticed your comment on the alcohol-- thanks for the caution. I did order a couple of bottles. Up to now, is there any topical you've used that has been healing (other than zinc, which remains to be seen)? Is mineral oil-based/petroleum taboo? I've been looking at this product that gets good reviews. (See other products in this line.) Wonder if covering over zinc spray would be helpful?

http://www.amazon.com/Theraplex-THERAPL ... =theraplex

Kray

Charlie said:
Scalp has never been clear.

Sorry to hear that. Did you ever try rinsing hair with ACV? I think Adnada mentioned that in an earlier posting on this thread. I'm willing to try it.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Can we let the alcohol evaporate from the solution?

I have never tried ACV but I might be up too it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Charlie said:

I wonder if you could make your own with zinc, water and glycerine? Possibly witch hazel might be a milder option than alcohol.

Kray

Charlie said:

Charlie,

Did you notice the company makes a zinc cream, too? I almost ordered that instead but the gal said the spray sold much better. There were a couple of ? ingredients in the cream, so I stayed with the spray.

I suppose waiting until it evaporates (how long?) may lessen a stinging effect, if not a drying one. However, Blossom makes a good point. But, Charlie, since you already have the spray, what if you added a little bit of moisture to your spray, such as any glycerine you may have on hand, or just a drop of jojoba oil? The company rep I spoke with when I ordered said if skin is broken it might sting a "bit" but for any other rash it shouldn't be a problem. I'll try it both ways and see what I can tolerate.

This wouldn't be the same spray, would it? :lol:

http://www.z-spray.com/

Sorry-- couldn't resist. Tried to google the spray to remember the ingredients, and that's what I got! You might get a little too much using one of these "vehicles" :eek:

Kray

Charlie said:

Just an update-- Some of my family tried that method and said you might find the ACV to feel rather dry and tacky on your hair. So a note of caution.

However, they did buy this (Rhassoul clay) and have found great results in just one application. Seems to work as a shampoo/conditioner all in one. They ordered it on amazon. I'm going to try that to see how it works for my scalp.

http://www.momsaware.org/personal-care- ... -clay.html

Whatever you try, hope it will help!

tara

classicallady said:
Charlie said:

Just an update-- Some of my family tried that method and said you might find the ACV to feel rather dry and tacky on your hair. So a note of caution.

I've been using baking soda solution for shampoo and dilute apple cider vinegar for conditioner for several months. It rinses out well, and I am not left with any unpleasant stickiness or smell. I really like the feel of it, as well as avoiding the long list of chemicals in commercial shampoos and conditioners. I use about 10-20ml ACV: 100ml water.

The skin likes to be slightly acid, and the impression I get is that when the body is struggling to keep everything in suitable homeostasis, this is one of the things that can give. When the skin pH gets too high, it is more vulnerable to various things, including fungii (like athletes foot). Fungus won't grow in acid. Maybe sebborheic dermatitis is in this category?

ACV quickly sorted out something like dandruff/cradle cap on my son's head a while ago. I use straight vinegar (white at the moment, but I think any kind would do it) on my toes, and it clearly hinders the fungus in my toenails, but I have to do it everyday or it reinfects. Again, I much prefer this to other strong substances I have tried in the past. It's not quite as effective as tea tree oil, but it's not as poisonous, either.

I don't generally suffer from dermatitis, and I don't envy those of you who do. But if I did, one of the first things I'd try would be a dilute solution of ACV on a small area to test. If it didn't feel good, I'd wash it off quickly. And if it didn't harm me, I'd try it more widely, maybe for half an hour before a shower, and experiment with how strong to make it. Seems like a very low risk possible treatment compared with many, if you haven't already tried it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Once I measured the pH of ACV/ distilled water mix (50/50 ratio) at 4 which is supposed to be in the optimal range for our skin. I used to make a skin toner and the idea was to apply it after cleansing to restore surface pH as Tara mentioned. Soap normally leaves the skin alkaline and it takes a couple hours after cleansing for the skin to rebalance on it's own. Witch hazel and rose water diluted with distilled water had a pH 4-5 range as well when I checked them so as far as reacidifying the skin surface they should work too. It might just make a difference but surely it can't hurt.

Kray

Blossom said:
Once I measured the pH of ACV/ distilled water mix (50/50 ratio) at 4 which is supposed to be in the optimal range for our skin. I used to make a skin toner and the idea was to apply it after cleansing to restore surface pH as Tara mentioned. Soap normally leaves the skin alkaline and it takes a couple hours after cleansing for the skin to rebalance on it's own. Witch hazel and rose water diluted with distilled water had a pH 4-5 range as well when I checked them so as far as reacidifying the skin surface they should work too. It might just make a difference but surely it can't hurt.

That's good to know. Will keep it in mind for DIY toner in the future!

Sirkama

Any comments on this blog post?
http://minutesofcare.blogspot.no/2010/0 ... titis.html

Pretty interesting IMO. Maybe the increased sugar intake is what causes problems when people start Peating? I'm not saying sugar is bad (it's definitely not), but it increases the production of acetaldehyde, which in turn causes all the problems mentioned in the blog post.

Kray

Sirkama said:

Pretty interesting IMO. Maybe the increased sugar intake is what causes problems when people start Peating? I'm not saying sugar is bad (it's definitely not), but it increases the production of acetaldehyde, which in turn causes all the problems mentioned in the blog post.

Very interesting, had never heard about this before. And perhaps (one) of the reasons Peat has a problem recommending alcohol intake, especially wine & beer? I'd like to know the answer to the commenter's question in the article-- how is the best way to deal with getting SD under control, and reduce acetylaldehyde? I picked up on NAC, B1, and C. Would you say any form of sugar, either fructose from fruit or table sugar--does it make a difference?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I applied zinc spray for 2 days, very light applications, making sure to lightly spread it with my fingers after spraying it. After that 2 days, I would say 40% of SD was gone. Camping this weekend, I only applied it once, light application. Decided to not look in mirror this weekend and forgot about the SD because its been such a huge stress for me so I went ahead and took a break from that. Got home and checked mirror, 99% of the SD that I treated with spray, is gone. Wow!

I did take zinc 30mg for about 4 days, but I stopped that right after starting the spray.

Next step will be to look into making a cream, or finding one to buy.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

Charlie said:
I applied zinc spray for 2 days, very light applications, making sure to lightly spread it with my fingers after spraying it. After that 2 days, I would say 40% of SD was gone. Camping this weekend, I only applied it once, light application. Decided to not look in mirror this weekend and forgot about the SD because its been such a huge stress for me so I went ahead and took a break from that. Got home and checked mirror, 99% of the SD that I treated with spray, is gone. Wow!

I did take zinc 30mg for about 4 days, but I stopped that right after starting the spray.

Maybe the zinc sunscreen recipe at scratchmommy.com would be a good place to get some ideas for making a zinc based cream. You could possibly substitute the non-nano zinc in the recipe for the zinc you are currently using and substitute the apricot oil with jojoba.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Thank you Blossom I will check into it later.

Thinking of supplementing zinc a couple days a week and see if that helps too.

Sirkama

Great to hear, Charlie! :D

classicallady said:
Sirkama said:

Very interesting, had never heard about this before. And perhaps (one) of the reasons Peat has a problem recommending alcohol intake, especially wine & beer? I'd like to know the answer to the commenter's question in the article-- how is the best way to deal with getting SD under control, and reduce acetylaldehyde? I picked up on NAC, B1, and C. Would you say any form of sugar, either fructose from fruit or table sugar--does it make a difference?
I'd guess anything that is a cofactor for delta-6-desaturase (D6D) would help, and from what I've found that includes vitamin A, B3, B6, C, folic acid, zinc, copper, and magnesium. Also, NSAIDs can interfere with D6D, and natural sources of acetaldehyde are coffee and ripe fruits -- just wanted to add that.

Furthermore, acetaldemyde negatively affects B1, B3, B5, B6, in addition to D6D, so keep that in mind.

There are also reasons to believe that reduced D6D activity causes problems with converting linoleic acid to gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), but I won't go too much into that. GLA seems to be pretty important for optimal skin health (it's the precursor of prostaglandin E1), and a good source is borage oil.

In regards to the sugar question, I don't think it makes much of a difference. And by the way, starving Candida is probably a bad idea and may very well cause it to overgrow. Plus, anything that reduces thyroid function will negatively impact sIgA, which is very protective against Candida overgrowth.

Blossom

Forum Supporter

The odd thing is that I personally tested as having no detectable D6D years ago but I've never had SD? I suppose there are exceptions to everything but the fact that I seem to not make the enzyme yet have seemingly no issues especially when minimizing PUFA intake seems to confirm Peat's stance that PUFA is not essential at least in my case.

Sirkama

Blossom said:
The odd thing is that I personally tested as having no detectable D6D years ago but I've never had SD? I suppose there are exceptions to everything but the fact that I seem to not make the enzyme yet have seemingly no issues especially when minimizing PUFA intake seems to confirm Peat's stance that PUFA is not essential at least in my case.
That's very interesting. As you say, you could be an exception, and SD is probably more complex than just D6D activity, but I'm beginning to think that the connection between SD and D6D is a bit overstated. It's a very fascinating theory, though.

Recently I've been looking into magnesium, vitamin D & A, and biotin. There is still a lot of researching to be done, so here are a few studies:
http://www.biomedcentral.com/1741-7015/11/229
http://press.mu-varna.bg/ojs/index.php/ ... e/view/345
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/6454396
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/4228717
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/142750

By the way, biotin is required for optimal D6D activity (ha, back to that theory), and acetaldehyde inhibits biotin transportation -- biotin deficiency is seemingly common in Candida sufferers.

Kray

Charlie said:

Great news, Charlie! Did you know the same company does make a cream? Didn't check it out for ingredients, but here is the link:

http://www.supplementspot.com/z-care-cream.html

The discussion is pretty interesting about the different theories for SD. Especially the issue about biotin deficiency. Also, I wonder about taking too much aspirin. Didn't you say your SD flares up with excess aspirin? These scenarios seem to suggest that food and supplements can be good, but what is too much for one may not be for another, vice-versa. Finding a balance and not going extreme, listening to your own body.

Back to the zinc-- I wonder how much gets absorbed through the skin, if at all, to count towards zinc requirements.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals