possible beneficial effects of topical testosterone for the skin and hair

Dave_Kermode

Hi everyone,

I'm M/35 and have been influenced by Dr. Peat for a few years now. Besides PUFA restriction and an approximately Peatarian diet, I have dabbled with the occasional commended supplements such as Vitamin E and K. My woes are the familiar - inadequate temperatures, thinning hair on the scalp and calves and anxiety, though I suspect things have improved since applying Peat's principles.

Half a year ago I had persistent seborrheic eczema all over the T-zone of my face to which I applied the usual emollients like vaseline, cocunut oil, lemon juice with little avail. In desperation, I started applying a potent corticosteroid, betamethasone (even 2% hydrocortisone didn't work well enough) which cleared the eczema completely. However, over time it led to a noticeable thinning of the skin with micro-wrinkles that appeared on stretching the skin especially around my cheeks which caused me to immediately cease using the corticosteroid.

I came across published research by Papa et al. on the erstwhile peatarian.com showing the beneficial effects of topically applied testosterone on elder skin which, incidentally was mirrored to a lesser degree by progesterone. Estrogen, of course, produced an atrophying of the dermis much like corticosteroids. I had also read communications with Dr. Peat where he had mentioned that topical testosterone is safe at small doses.

It's been three months since I have been applying a hydroalcoholic gel preparation of testosterone which likely amounts to a few mg of testosterone spread evenly across my face. The results have been quite encouraging and while the eczema has stayed away, the skin has firmed up at least to its original state. Of course I am hesitant to ascribe it solely to the testosterone for the time off from the corticosteroids is as likely a candidate, but I dare say my facial skin looks even better than a few years ago: smoother; less leathery if you will.

Buoyed by this success, I was eager to experiment with similarly small amounts of T-gel on my bald outer calves. Beside the lack of hair they also featured slightly fibrotic skin that was unnervingly smooth to touch. Over a month of application I have remarkably found the fibrosis of my outer calves to **completely** vanish and while I do imagine I see some new hairs sprouting, I reserve judgement on that front till further notice.

I wonder, how testosterone applied to the scalp as a method of regrowing thinning hair will perform? I do find that the exposed skin on my scalp isn't as supple as compared to those with a full head of hair that nevertheless keep their hair closely cropped. What are your thoughts?

Dave

tara

:welcome dave
I'm glad it seems to be working for you, but don't know enough to comment on what's going on.

Hi everyone,

I'm M/35 and have been influenced by Dr. Peat for a few years now. Besides PUFA restriction and an approximately Peatarian diet, I have dabbled with the occasional commended supplements such as Vitamin E and K. My woes are the familiar - inadequate temperatures, thinning hair on the scalp and calves and anxiety, though I suspect things have improved since applying Peat's principles.

Half a year ago I had persistent seborrheic eczema all over the T-zone of my face to which I applied the usual emollients like vaseline, cocunut oil, lemon juice with little avail. In desperation, I started applying a potent corticosteroid, betamethasone (even 2% hydrocortisone didn't work well enough) which cleared the eczema completely. However, over time it led to a noticeable thinning of the skin with micro-wrinkles that appeared on stretching the skin especially around my cheeks which caused me to immediately cease using the corticosteroid.

I came across published research by Papa et al. on the erstwhile peatarian.com showing the beneficial effects of topically applied testosterone on elder skin which, incidentally was mirrored to a lesser degree by progesterone. Estrogen, of course, produced an atrophying of the dermis much like corticosteroids. I had also read communications with Dr. Peat where he had mentioned that topical testosterone is safe at small doses.

It's been three months since I have been applying a hydroalcoholic gel preparation of testosterone which likely amounts to a few mg of testosterone spread evenly across my face. The results have been quite encouraging and while the eczema has stayed away, the skin has firmed up at least to its original state. Of course I am hesitant to ascribe it solely to the testosterone for the time off from the corticosteroids is as likely a candidate, but I dare say my facial skin looks even better than a few years ago: smoother; less leathery if you will.

Buoyed by this success, I was eager to experiment with similarly small amounts of T-gel on my bald outer calves. Beside the lack of hair they also featured slightly fibrotic skin that was unnervingly smooth to touch. Over a month of application I have remarkably found the fibrosis of my outer calves to **completely** vanish and while I do imagine I see some new hairs sprouting, I reserve judgement on that front till further notice.

I wonder, how testosterone applied to the scalp as a method of regrowing thinning hair will perform? I do find that the exposed skin on my scalp isn't as supple as compared to those with a full head of hair that nevertheless keep their hair closely cropped. What are your thoughts?

Dave
Hi, Dave! Any uptade on that? I am willing to try the same.

Jremy25

I’ve in
Hi, Dave! Any uptade on that? I am willing to try the same.
I’ve had quite a similar experience to Dave with androgen use on my skin. I’ve been using transdermal DHT on my inner forearms and upper chest area, both of which I’ve had some long ongoing and recurring eczema.

I noticed within the first 6 weeks of use that the inflammation and itching along with the dryness had dramatically subsided.

I did also notice a large increase in chest hair growth as well as beard growth. Even with supraphysiological levels of DHT (10x reference range at one point) I didn’t experience any hair loss. In fact, I noticed that my scalp hair actually grew faster.