Seborrheic Dermatitis Upon Peating

Adnada

Hi! I've been Peating for about 7 months now. I am quite strict with my diet and supplement vit A, E, and Cynoplus+cynomel. I am having what I believe to be seborrheic dermititis for the first time in my life, recurring over the past 2 months. I have tried coconut oil and proget-e topically, with no benefit. I am unable to find a food connection with flare ups. I would love any additional suggestions!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Seborrheic dermititis upon Peating

Vitamin B6.

edit: Come to find out it was vitamin A for me.

paper_clips43

Re: Seborrheic dermititis upon Peating

I feel like getting our metabolism up means a faster use of available nutrients and we should therefor increase our mineral dense foods such as:
Oysters
Lamb
Liver and other organs.

I suddenly got acne on my arms after eating this way for several weeks and have since increased my seafood and organ meat consumption.
I often eat heart every day now and fish once or twice a week from scallops and clams.
I also have been taking zinc every few days and the acne on my arms is definitely diminishing.

What do you use to wash your hair?

natedawggh

Yeah, if you're not getting enough carbs and certain vitamins/minerals with the increased metabolism demands of your thyroid meds, that can be just as bad as not having thyroid. Can you post more specifically what you eat at what times of the day and when you take thyroid? Any chance it could be a fungal infection? In that case try sulphur or epsom salt bath. I also know somewhere peat mentioned having too much vitamin A can cause problems.

Mittir

Do you remember adding any new food or supplement around the time
your problem started? Supplements are always a possible source of problem.
I once changed my vitamin D supplement brand and within days i was having
headache and there was not any bad excipient in that capsule.
I have noticed similar problem with other vitamins in oily capsule.
It is puzzling that a very small amount of oil can cause this much side effects.
I get dandruff only if i eat starch in large amounts. It happens mainly with
non-rice starch, wheat, potato etc. I believe that is the result of excess
endotoxin. Excess vitamin A can block thyroid function.
Are you doing light therapy? This can increase your vitamin A requirement.
Red light therapy increases steroid production using vitamin A.

OP
Adnada

Adnada

Thanks everyone! I suspect a deficiency, but as you know it can be hard to pinpoint cause and effect.

@paper_clips43, I use Dr. Bronner's peppermint castile soap (diluted with water and some baking soda) for shampoo and body soap. The dermatitis is not on my scalp (yet), but mainly around my earlobes with a few other patches on my arms and corners of my mouth. I use an aloe vera and witch hazel toner and coconut oil to moisturize.

@natedaggh, I take 1/6 cynoplus (20mg t4:5mg t3) once with bfast and once before bed. I take another 4 mg of cynomel twice during the day with a snack. My typical diet is:
Bfast:
Cafe au lait with sugar, gelatin, coconut oil, salt
1Tbsp raw beef liver
Snack: OJ, 2 egg omelet with cheese
Snack: more OJ and cheese
Snack: cherries and/or berries with cheese
Dinner: varies, often a hash-browned potato with cheese and apple sauce, or more eggs
Snack: milk with honey
I eat oyster and potato stew 3xmonth, and a beef and veggie stew 3x month. I eat a serving of shrimp every 10-14 days. I eat ice cream and milk chocolate 1-2x/week.

I have had mild to moderate acne most of my life since puberty, and have not had relief with liver or vitamin A supplementing. I have been cautious with the A to avoid suppressing the thyroid further, I take 5,000-10,000 IUs a day. I use Cronometer, and usually come up short on protein (around 65g). According to Cronometer I am also short on biotin, iodine (but it does not measure iodine in milk, I drink raw local milk), folic acid, and chromium.

How can I know if I have a fungal infection?

@Mittir: I do incandescent light therapy and also use Vit. A. My only starch is potato, which I eat 1-2x/week. I have not found a correlation, but I do not always keep close track. I will try omitting supplements and watching for a change.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

No really, vitamin B6. ;)

I would almost bet on it. :)

OP
Adnada

Adnada

Charlie said:
No really, vitamin B6. ;)

I would almost bet on it. :)
What dosage ballpark do you recommend? According to Cronometer (I continually question it's accuracy) I get about 1-2 mg per day.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I have to take upwards of 200-300mgs a day. Yes, I know, its a lot. But I always had this sneaking suspicion that my dermatitis was from B6 deficiency but was always scared to dose it high because of nerve damage. Well I gave it a shot and sure enough, it stops the dermatitis outbreak. When I take aspirin, I get bad outbreaks. Now that I am super dosing the B6, no big outbreak. Only a small little tiny bit that I can deal with. I am just happy I can take aspirin again. :lol:

Btw, I only take the big doses on the days I take aspirin. On other days I keep it under 100mgs.

Peata

Charlie said:
I have to take upwards of 200-300mgs a day. Yes, I know, its a lot. But I always had this sneaking suspicion that my dermatitis was from B6 deficiency but was always scared to dose it high because of nerve damage. Well I gave it a shot and sure enough, it stops the dermatitis outbreak. When I take aspirin, I get bad outbreaks. Now that I am super dosing the B6, no big outbreak. Only a small little tiny bit that I can deal with. I am just happy I can take aspirin again. :lol:

Btw, I only take the big doses on the days I take aspirin. On other days I keep it under 100mgs.

I didn't know you were taking that much B6 either. Didn't it give you too much dreaming? Oh, and what is it with aspirin giving you dermatitis? Any idea on that?

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

If I stop taking the aspirin my dreams will get too much and I have to lower the dose. But if I take aspirin I have to increase the dose pretty high to keep the SD away. And I do not dream very much when taking aspirin.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Peata said:
Oh, and what is it with aspirin giving you dermatitis? Any idea on that?
Aspirin speeds up something so much that it burns through my B6. IIRC, it was lack of B6 that was causing the skin problems when they took all PUFA's away in that one study Peat talks about. They just did not recognize it at the time and thought it was lack of PUFA causing skin trouble so PUFA must be essential. When it was actually the metabolism speeding up so fast causing a deficiency.

OP
Adnada

Adnada

Charlie said:

I am beginning B6 today. 100mg caps. I imagine I will see a pretty fast turn around if this is the problem, as skin cells turn over so quickly. I'll keep you posted!

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Yes its fast for me. Looking forward to hearing your results.

Kray

Peata,

Are you taking B6, or P5P? Does form of B matter as long as it's high- 200-300mg? I have both, but running low on P5P. What brand do you take? I'm having bad problems right now, worst in a long time. I've gone as high as 100mg but no higher. Have you tried it, and what was your response? Thanks-

Kray

Adnada said:
Charlie said:

I am beginning B6 today. 100mg caps. I imagine I will see a pretty fast turn around if this is the problem, as skin cells turn over so quickly. I'll keep you posted!

@Adnada, I'd like to know your results, too. Thanks-

Kray

Charlie said:
Yes its fast for me. Looking forward to hearing your results.

Hi Charlie,

What brand B6 are you taking?
Can you clarify your routine with the B6?
Do you take 200-300mg in one dose, or spread throughout the day?
On other days, how much do you take, and do you couple your B6 with a B complex?
Have you narrowed down the source of your dermatitis to aspirin, or is it just one possibility?
How much aspirin are you able to take without having big outbreaks?

Thank you,
Classicallady
:)

Dayman

I have also recently been experiencing Seborrheic dermititis. It started a year ago or so while doing paleo but comes and goes since switching to Peating. In general peating has kept it in control.
I recently had a flare up.
The main changes in my diet were: Lack of fruit (had a temporary shortage), Had some wheat(sometimes can't say no), some macadamia crumbed scallops (maybe some gut irritation from macadamia, they were probably also fried with PUFA).
My thoughts are that my body was too acidic, or lacking CO2, as I had 1/2t baking soda in water and it diminished.
Or as you have mentioned it could of been due to a deficiency.
It has since cleared up, that is, until the next time.

tara

I found what looked like cradle cap/dandruff/sebborheic dermatitis on son's head a few weeks ago. Googled. There are lots of theories, and lots of suggested remedies. One theory included fungus. I tried the simplest remedy. Rubbed a couple of tablespoons of vinegar in his hair after washing, rinsed after a minute. Gone when I checked at next hair wash 2 days later. No idea if this would work more generally.
I've been having trouble with angular cheilitis , and that also sometimes has fungi involved. The same vinegar remedy has been effective for that too. I'm using it on my toes daily too, but that's a longer project - and if I miss a day I have to start over.
Of course it would be good to restore whatever internal balance is relevant too, as suggested above by more knowledgable folks than me.

OP
Adnada

Adnada

Hi Everyone!

I started taking 200mg B6 this past Wednesday. Took that dose for 3 days with improvement on the dermatitis around my earlobes. I was also suffering from angular cheilitis (chapped mouth corners) which did not improve at the same rate as the ears. At day 4(Saturday) I added Biotin, as Cronometer shows me as getting next to none, and Biotin is associated with angular cheilitis according to some mainstream websites (and my hair has also gotten slightly dry over the past 2-3 months). Monday my ears were nearly clear, but mouth corners still chapped. Went all in with a multi-B vitamin on Tuesday after suggestions that a B2, or B12 deficiency might be at work (it seems fingers are pointed at ALL of the B vitamins as deficiencies depending on where you look)! 2 days after adding the multi-B, I am 99% clear.

I had a gut feeling my case was not fungal, and it seems it was B related, but the question remains which B vitamin(s)! But, for now, I would rather this mystery and be free of the skin irritation.