Seborrheic Dermatitis Upon Peating

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Re: Seborrheic dermititis upon Peating

Would like to add that sensitivity to bright light is one of the symptoms of B6 toxicity.

I am happy to report that neuropathy and most of the sharp stabbing pains are gone. Just dealing with the itching now, and of course the dermatitis outbreak.

Sirkama

Have you tried an antihistamine, Charlie? From what I've read, B6 helps in degrading histamine (it's a co-factor of diamine oxidase).

Also, I'm happy to hear that your toxicity symptoms are going away. Scary stuff.

classicallady said:
btw- very interesting on the other post about seb derm and pufa/vit E link. I think most of us Peaters would be hard-pressed to try such a diet. I will say, I was craving sunflower seeds last week... sorry, hope I won't be censored for it :eek:
:twisted:

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I am taking cyproheptadine.

Sirkama

I see.

B6 didn't do much for my dermatitis (only in very large doses, 500-1000mg, but I only did that for a few days), however biotin supplementation (5-10mg) seemed to help somewhat, but I decided to stop when I realized the supplement had a lot of unfavorable additives (such as silica). I may order a biotin supplement with fewer additives. No other vitamins have had any noticable effect -- the only vitamin I have yet to try is E.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I am trying E now, seems to have no effect. I think I do have pure biotin, maybe I will give it a shot.

Kray

Sirkama said:
Have you tried an antihistamine, Charlie? From what I've read, B6 helps in degrading histamine (it's a co-factor of diamine oxidase).

Also, I'm happy to hear that your toxicity symptoms are going away. Scary stuff.

classicallady said:
btw- very interesting on the other post about seb derm and pufa/vit E link. I think most of us Peaters would be hard-pressed to try such a diet. I will say, I was craving sunflower seeds last week... sorry, hope I won't be censored for it :eek:

Sirkama,

Can you expound on the B6/antihistamine comment? Good or bad? Thanks.

Ben

I have experienced the same effect from Peating. Some people (Charlie, you did, right?) reported worsened dandruff, maybe dermatitis is due to a higher rate of skin shedding from a higher metabolic rate. I've noticed a higher amount of skin peeling in certain areas like my arm, to the point where I can rub such an area and flakes go everywhere. It's not related to sunburn, either. So that doesn't just occur with dandruff anymore in my case. j.'s thread mentioned that low PUFA is involved in seborrheic dematitis, indeed EFA-deficient animals have experienced a similar skin condition due to a higher metabolic rate and need for nutrients, and RP thinks it's due to low vitamin B6 and/or zinc. The fact that zinc oxide works well as a sunscreen makes me wonder whether it can be used to prevent this type of dermatitis as well.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

I actually bought this zinc spray one time a while back, but never used it because wasnt sure if it was safe. Here is the link to it:

http://www.supplementspot.com/z-care-spray.html#

Think its safe to use? Here are the ingredients.

Water, SD Alcohol, Zinc Pyrithione 0.25%

Sirkama

classicallady said:
Sirkama said:

classicallady said:

Sirkama,

Can you expound on the B6/antihistamine comment? Good or bad? Thanks.
Diamine oxidase (DAO) is an enzyme that metabolizes histamine, thus preventing excess levels of histamine in the body. Without B6, DAO is not able to degrade histamine.

"An impaired histamine degradation based on reduced DAO activity and the resulting histamine excess may cause numerous symptoms mimicking an allergic reaction."
"In addition, histamine degradation can be supported by the administration of vitamin C (133) and vitamin B-6, which leads to an increase in DAO activity (14, 135)."
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/85/5/1185.full

Kray

Ben said:
I have experienced the same effect from Peating. Some people (Charlie, you did, right?) reported worsened dandruff, maybe dermatitis is due to a higher rate of skin shedding from a higher metabolic rate. I've noticed a higher amount of skin peeling in certain areas like my arm, to the point where I can rub such an area and flakes go everywhere. It's not related to sunburn, either. So that doesn't just occur with dandruff anymore in my case. j.'s thread mentioned that low PUFA is involved in seborrheic dematitis, indeed EFA-deficient animals have experienced a similar skin condition due to a higher metabolic rate and need for nutrients, and RP thinks it's due to low vitamin B6 and/or zinc. The fact that zinc oxide works well as a sunscreen makes me wonder whether it can be used to prevent this type of dermatitis as well.

Sorry if this is redundant, but what about too-low PUFA??? What are we to make of that? Just add more B6 and zinc? Well, I don't know about the zinc, but it seems "not all the Bs in China" is making a bit of difference in (our) skin troubles! PASS THE PUFAS PLEASE? :?

Kray

Charlie said:
I actually bought this zinc spray one time a while back, but never used it because wasnt sure if it was safe. Here is the link to it:

Charlie,

Thanks for the link. Just ordered a couple of bottles to try. Let's keep posted on our results, as I'm sure others would greatly benefit knowing if the product helps. :)

Ben

Charlie said:

The worst that can happen with the SD alcohol is dried skin, so I think it's a good idea to try it and see how you respond to it. I may order it in case I decide to have some fun in the sun.

classicallady said:
Ben said:

Sorry if this is redundant, but what about too-low PUFA??? What are we to make of that? Just add more B6 and zinc? Well, I don't know about the zinc, but it seems "not all the Bs in China" is making a bit of difference in (our) skin troubles! PASS THE PUFAS PLEASE? :?
PUFA-restricted animals, despite their skin condition, had resistance to many types of toxins (including endotoxin, I think, which is a major problem for many people). The possible deficiencies don't appear to be a big deal, especially considering they would not be as serious as seen in the animal studies, because the animals had 0 PUFA in their diets. Btw, RP spoke of a man who was given a PUFA-free diet in a study, and had developed no skin condition. I don't think his metabolic rate was as high as that of some of the members here, though.

Kray

Ben said:
Charlie said:

The worst that can happen with the SD alcohol is dried skin, so I think it's a good idea to try it and see how you respond to it. I may order it in case I decide to have some fun in the sun.

classicallady said:
Ben said:

PUFA-restricted animals, despite their skin condition, had resistance to many types of toxins (including endotoxin, I think, which is a major problem for many people). The possible deficiencies don't appear to be a big deal, especially considering they would not be as serious as seen in the animal studies, because the animals had 0 PUFA in their diets. Btw, RP spoke of a man who was given a PUFA-free diet in a study, and had developed no skin condition. I don't think his metabolic rate was as high as that of some of the members here, though.

"The possible deficiencies don't appear to be a big deal..." what does that mean? One man who doesn't develop chronic dermatitis isn't good enough for those of us who have been suffering with it for months, if not years. There has to be something beyond vitamin deficiencies, since those that even Peat recommends aren't always the magic bullet. Seems we're missing some valuable nutrients in food, no? Just thinkin'. :?:

Kray

The man who had a lower metabolism, maybe he was ok without thyroid, for example, in the absence of any PUFA, whereas if he took thyroid with zero PUFA, he might have developed a skin condition, having pushed his metabolism too far?

Ben

Vitamin A, B6, and zinc seem like the top possibilities, although there could be others. And yes, it's probable that if he took thyroid in addition to a PUFA-free diet, he could have developed skin flakiness and/or dermatitis. Charlie and I both noticed worsened dandruff from increasing the dosage of T3.

Kray

Ben said:
Vitamin A, B6, and zinc seem like the top possibilities, although there could be others. And yes, it's probable that if he took thyroid in addition to a PUFA-free diet, he could have developed skin flakiness and/or dermatitis. Charlie and I both noticed worsened dandruff from increasing the dosage of T3.

Yes, me too. My skin is so bad right now I don't want to go outside. So, what is the bottom line about PUFA? There doesn't seem to be any answer for this. :shock:

Kray

Charlie said:

Hi Charlie,

Anything to report on the zinc spray yet? Also, for seb derm on scalp, what is best shampoo you have found to treat it? I have the crusts on my scalp now-- first time ever. All of my skin issues were confined to the face/neck until now. Thyroid supplement, B supplements & all the good vitamins, no PUFA. Have resorted to a mineral barrier ointment, THERAPLEX, just to protect my skin, with some calendula for control of broken skin. Hoping to get the zinc spray today. I look a mess.

Thanks for any help.
:(

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

It seems to be helping. For the scalp I don't use anything at this time.

Kray

Charlie said:
It seems to be helping. For the scalp I don't use anything at this time.

You mean your scalp is clear right now? Is there something special you've used in the past, or have you gone the supplement route to help clear? Thanks-

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

Scalp has never been clear.