My sweat smells like ammonia

Vins7

I have had strong body odor, like ammonia for last years. This is something that I didn't suffer when I was teenager, It starts when I was 23-24 yo after several years of gut dysbiosis, diffuse thinning hair and lack of energy.

Could this odor symptom be related with an excess of protein consumption?

EustaceBagge

I have had strong body odor, like ammonia for last years. This is something that I didn't suffer when I was teenager, It starts when I was 23-24 yo after several years of gut dysbiosis, diffuse thinning hair and lack of energy.

It can be too much protein, but it can also just indicate that you are burning protein for fuel because your calories are too low, or your stress levels are too high.

And because you did not state how much protein you ate, I will assume it is because of stress causing you to burn your muscles as fuel. Try destressing (CO2 breathing, calories, carbs, mindfulness, sleep, walk through nature etc.)

mostlylurking

Consider taking some thiamine; it lowers ammonia.

GTW

Thiamine gives a different skin odor. Used to repel mosquitoes.
Almost all protein eaten by an adult is ultimately oxidized/catabolized. Net anabolism close to zero. It may replace muscle and organ protein but then those peptides will be catabolized.
You may have a metabolism or kidney problem.
A tablespoon of ground fenugreek seed eaten cooked with food or soup or tea often gives pleasant maple syrup smell to skin.

OP
V

Vins7

It can be too much protein, but it can also just indicate that you are burning protein for fuel because your calories are too low, or your stress levels are too high.

And because you did not state how much protein you ate, I will assume it is because of stress causing you to burn your muscles as fuel. Try destressing (CO2 breathing, calories, carbs, mindfulness, sleep, walk through nature etc.)
I eat 120-150 g of protein a day and my weight is 69-70kg.
I don't know how many grams of carbs I eat a day but I add a source of starch and fruit in eveey meal.

I have low tolerance to stress and other symptoms related to dysbiosis like blocked nose and ears, bloating and difficulty expelling farts.

OP
V

Vins7

Consider taking some thiamine; it lowers ammonia.
I took Metronidazol and other antibiotics in the past when my problems started.
Do you think that thiamine deficiency could cause this excess of amonia? Or thiamine just helps with the problems.

I take thiamine in the past and when I increased a bit the dose my symptoms (I think that are histamine symptoms) increased and I was taking cofactors like magnessium.

Dutchie

Amonia is related to H2S?
H2S bacteria especially like to feast on protein and ammonia is a byproduct of protein metabolization. There are also bacteria and parasites which create ammonia as a byproduct.

mostlylurking

Do you think that thiamine deficiency could cause this excess of amonia? Or thiamine just helps with the problems.

I take thiamine in the past and when I increased a bit the dose my symptoms (I think that are histamine symptoms) increased and I was taking cofactors like magnessium.
I think thiamine deficiency/functional blockage could cause the problem because it happened to me and the ammonia I could smell in my exhale went away when I started supplementing with high dose thiamine hcl. All my allergies/histamine problems are gone now too, except for the nightshade sensitivity. There's not much info about "thiamine and histamine", but there is info on "histamine and gut disbiosis" and also on "gut disbiosis and thiamine".

Were you taking any riboflavin?

Info on histamine and intestinal disbiosis:

High dosing thiamine hcl resolved my long term digestive tract issues and it resolved my food allergies. I had leaky gut, SIBO, poor/no peristalses. So maybe the thiamine (and magnesium) healed my gut which in turn resolved my histamine problem?

Last edited:

mostlylurking

a search for "Metronidazol and thiamine" yielded this:
and
"Metronidazole easily penetrates into the blood–brain barrier and reaches therapeutic concentrations equivalent to that of serum.[1] Furthermore, cerebellum of rats has been shown to uptake carbon labeled metronidazole.[3] In vitro, metronidazole incorporated into thiamine analogs, inhibits the phosphorylation of thiamine, thereby antagonizing vitamin B1 effect.[4] Radiolabelled metronidazole binds ribonucleic acid (RNA) in a significant manner, and inhibits neuronal protein synthesis and facilitates degeneration.[3] Catecholamine neurotransmitters are oxidized by metronidazole derivatives to produce semiquinone and nito anion radicals which are neurotoxic.[5]"

When my thiamine function got blocked by taking Bactrim antibiotic, it did not come back after stopping that antibiotic. I got really sick from thiamine deficiency. I recovered via high dose thiamine hcl; I take 1 gram 2Xday plus magnesium glycinate, 3/4teaspoons daily, divided into 2 doses. I also take a little riboflavin and some niacinamide.

Last edited:

mostlylurking

more links:
and

GTW

Flagyl/Metranidizol is bad. Used to be common Rx for "beaver fever" giardia despite hallucinations and other adverse effects. And it wasn't as effective as newer higher PI drugs like fenbendazol.

OP
V

Vins7

I think thiamine deficiency/functional blockage could cause the problem because it happened to me and the ammonia I could smell in my exhale went away when I started supplementing with high dose thiamine hcl. All my allergies/histamine problems are gone now too, except for the nightshade sensitivity. There's not much info about "thiamine and histamine", but there is info on "histamine and gut disbiosis" and also on "gut disbiosis and thiamine".

Were you taking any riboflavin?

Info on histamine and intestinal disbiosis:

High dosing thiamine hcl resolved my long term digestive tract issues and it resolved my food allergies. I had leaky gut, SIBO, poor/no peristalses. So maybe the thiamine (and magnesium) healed my gut which in turn resolved my histamine problem?
How long did it take for your gut to heal after you started taking the thiamine?

Did you start on a high thiamine dose from the start?

How much b2 did you take along with the thiamine?

OP
V

Vins7

a search for "Metronidazol and thiamine" yielded this:
and
"Metronidazole easily penetrates into the blood–brain barrier and reaches therapeutic concentrations equivalent to that of serum.[1] Furthermore, cerebellum of rats has been shown to uptake carbon labeled metronidazole.[3] In vitro, metronidazole incorporated into thiamine analogs, inhibits the phosphorylation of thiamine, thereby antagonizing vitamin B1 effect.[4] Radiolabelled metronidazole binds ribonucleic acid (RNA) in a significant manner, and inhibits neuronal protein synthesis and facilitates degeneration.[3] Catecholamine neurotransmitters are oxidized by metronidazole derivatives to produce semiquinone and nito anion radicals which are neurotoxic.[5]"

When my thiamine function got blocked by taking Bactrim antibiotic, it did not come back after stopping that antibiotic. I got really sick from thiamine deficiency. I recovered via high dose thiamine hcl; I take 1 gram 2Xday plus magnesium glycinate, 3/4teaspoons daily, divided into 2 doses. I also take a little riboflavin and some niacinamide.
Could be Metronidazole and thiamine dysfunction my problem of all this if I took the drug a long time ago (7 years).

This is my medication history that year:
- Clarithromycin 01/23/2017 - 02/05/2017
- Metronidazole 01/23/2017 - 02/05/2017
- Amoxicillin 01/23/2017 - 02/05/2017
- Clarithromycin 12/30/2016 01/08/2017
- Amoxicillin 12/30/2016 - 01/08/2017
- Metronidazole 12/30/2016 - 01/08/2017
- Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid 01/16/2016

GTW

A couple relatively low risk ways to modify gut microbiome. In addition to symbiotics.
Ivermectin
Methylene blue

mostlylurking

How long did it take for your gut to heal after you started taking the thiamine?

Did you start on a high thiamine dose from the start?

How much b2 did you take along with the thiamine?
I started taking the thiamine hcl in October of 2020; I started with around 300-350mg, 2Xday, taken with only water, not juice. I increased the dose about every 10 days by maybe a hundred mg. By the time January rolled around I was taking 750mg 2Xday. End of January I found Dr. Costantini's website and learned that my optimum dose, based on my size, is 1 gram, 2Xday so I increased to that dose. Within 2 days of taking that dose, I experienced massive improvements in my digestive tract. I pooped an enormous amount of normal poop. No more inflammation, normalized stomach acid, normalized peristalsis. I craved beefsteak so I ate some and had no issues swallowing it and digesting it; I had avoided meat for years before.

I have found the information on Dr. Costantini's website to be very helpful.

I also increased my magnesium glycinate over this time. Before taking thiamine, I could not tolerate taking very much of it at all but that sensitivity disappeared which was great because I had magnesium deficiency symptoms. I now take 3/4 teaspoon daily, divided into 2 doses. I take about 100mg niacinamide and about 50mg riboflavin (B2) 4Xday. I have found that I do well on this amount.
Could be Metronidazole and thiamine dysfunction my problem of all this if I took the drug a long time ago (7 years).

This is my medication history that year:
- Clarithromycin 01/23/2017 - 02/05/2017
- Metronidazole 01/23/2017 - 02/05/2017
- Amoxicillin 01/23/2017 - 02/05/2017
- Clarithromycin 12/30/2016 01/08/2017
- Amoxicillin 12/30/2016 - 01/08/2017
- Metronidazole 12/30/2016 - 01/08/2017
- Amoxicillin + Clavulanic acid 01/16/2016
I don't know; but from what I've read about it, I think that it's certainly possible. Can you remember what your health was like prior to the time you took all these antibiotics?

I've had pretty severe health problems for many years. I believe that my underlying issue is heavy metal poisoning, which is known to cause thiamine deficiency problems. I'm also hypothyroid and I have optimized my thyroid medication with the help of a great endocrinologist. I believe that the hypothyroidism was caused by the heavy metal toxicity. The thyroid needs thiamine to do its job. So does the liver and all the other organs too.

OP
V

Vins7

I started taking the thiamine hcl in October of 2020; I started with around 300-350mg, 2Xday, taken with only water, not juice. I increased the dose about every 10 days by maybe a hundred mg. By the time January rolled around I was taking 750mg 2Xday. End of January I found Dr. Costantini's website and learned that my optimum dose, based on my size, is 1 gram, 2Xday so I increased to that dose. Within 2 days of taking that dose, I experienced massive improvements in my digestive tract. I pooped an enormous amount of normal poop. No more inflammation, normalized stomach acid, normalized peristalsis. I craved beefsteak so I ate some and had no issues swallowing it and digesting it; I had avoided meat for years before.

I have found the information on Dr. Costantini's website to be very helpful.

I also increased my magnesium glycinate over this time. Before taking thiamine, I could not tolerate taking very much of it at all but that sensitivity disappeared which was great because I had magnesium deficiency symptoms. I now take 3/4 teaspoon daily, divided into 2 doses. I take about 100mg niacinamide and about 50mg riboflavin (B2) 4Xday. I have found that I do well on this amount.

I don't know; but from what I've read about it, I think that it's certainly possible. Can you remember what your health was like prior to the time you took all these antibiotics?

I've had pretty severe health problems for many years. I believe that my underlying issue is heavy metal poisoning, which is known to cause thiamine deficiency problems. I'm also hypothyroid and I have optimized my thyroid medication with the help of a great endocrinologist. I believe that the hypothyroidism was caused by the heavy metal toxicity. The thyroid needs thiamine to do its job. So does the liver and all the other organs too.
My health was perfect before appendix surgery and all the antibiotics that years.

Did you have any negative effect when you started with thiamine? I took around 800 mg several days in the past with magnessium and a b-complex and I had really bad effects (worse digestion, energy, histamine I think).

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals