Magnesium Gel

Pointless

I've tried all different kinds of magnesium supplements. Orally: mag malate, mag chloride flakes, epsom salts, mag citrate. Topically: store-bought mag oil, homemade mag oil, epsom salts balts, epsom salt sprays.

All the oral supplements give me diarrhea, and all the topical ones make my skin burn (even epsom salts surprisingly). I decided to try magnesium chloride gel, and wow it is very effective. There is practically no itching or burning, only if it gets on a very sensitive piece of skin like where there is a cut. Also, it seems to be very effective. I feel very relaxed, and it raises my temps. No other magnesium supplement is quite this powerful for me.

I'm not endorsing any brand, but I used the Life-Flo from Amazon. Give it a shot if you're looking for a magnesium solution like I was. If I use it 2-3 times a day, it also eliminates scalp itch and reduces shedding considerably.

Awesome thanks for sharing... I always love to have a variety of ways to absorb the minerals. I'll have to give this one a shot. I too have tried the magneisum brine spray and it was no worky worky with my skin.

Ras

It's funny to me how that the body tries so reliably to refuse a thing which is reputed to be so healthful.

Brian

I wonder what the mechanism is. The only other ingredient is Hydroxypropyl Starch Phosphate.

HP Starch

It's some kind of modified sugar molecule that is a non-ionic thickener, that can be used to emulsify salts. Maybe it helps magnesium ions to get through the skin barrier by surrounding them in a non-ionic coating.

Apparently it forms complexes with metal cations.

http://www.aaccnet.org/publications/cc/backissues/1977/Documents/chem54_266.pdf

Last edited:
OP
Pointless

Pointless

I think it works because it keeps the magnesium on the skin for a long time, so there is a prolonged, slow absorption. I know that once the water dries on a mag oil spray, absorption stops. If the absorption is slow, that would explain why there is no burning, also, because the skin would have the capacity to move it into the body.

OP
Pointless

Pointless

It's funny to me how that the body tries so reliably to refuse a thing which is reputed to be so healthful.

Interesting thought. Like many things that are essential to life, magnesium is extremely volatile. Pure magnesium will burst into a white hot flame from contact with the air. I've never heard a convincing explanation on why topical magnesium stings and burns so much, but because it happens with both epsom salt spray and with magnesium chloride spray, it must be because of the magnesium.

keith

I've tried all different kinds of magnesium supplements. Orally: mag malate, mag chloride flakes, epsom salts, mag citrate. Topically: store-bought mag oil, homemade mag oil, epsom salts balts, epsom salt sprays.

All the oral supplements give me diarrhea, and all the topical ones make my skin burn (even epsom salts surprisingly). I decided to try magnesium chloride gel, and wow it is very effective. There is practically no itching or burning, only if it gets on a very sensitive piece of skin like where there is a cut. Also, it seems to be very effective. I feel very relaxed, and it raises my temps. No other magnesium supplement is quite this powerful for me.

I'm not endorsing any brand, but I used the Life-Flo from Amazon. Give it a shot if you're looking for a magnesium solution like I was. If I use it 2-3 times a day, it also eliminates scalp itch and reduces shedding considerably.

Thanks for the tip! I have always had a similar reaction, and have even gotten diarrhea from to much transdermal mag-chloride, although interestingly, I recently tried a USP mag-chloride, and have been able to take huge amounts orally with no issues, which is very odd for me, and I can't explain it, since, as noted, putting other brands on my skin would give me diarrhea, as did the mag-glycinate, which supposedly was much better (although possibly also contaminated with mag-oxide To Everybody That Supplements Magnesium Glycinate And Especially To Dan Of Toxinless.com). It does seem to be giving me cramps, though (perhaps displacing too much calcium?), so I'm backing off for a bit. I might try this stuff in future, though. Good find.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Pointless

Pointless

Thanks for the tip! I have always had a similar reaction, and have even gotten diarrhea from to much transdermal mag-chloride, although interestingly, I recently tried a USP mag-chloride, and have been able to take huge amounts orally with no issues, which is very odd for me, and I can't explain it, since, as noted, putting other brands on my skin would give me diarrhea, as did the mag-glycinate, which supposedly was much better (although possibly also contaminated with mag-oxide To Everybody That Supplements Magnesium Glycinate And Especially To Dan Of Toxinless.com). It does seem to be giving me cramps, though (perhaps displacing too much calcium?), so I'm backing off for a bit. I might try this stuff in future, though. Good find.

I get cramps from sprinting. I have my whole life. The only thing that's made it worse is epsom salt sprays, fwiw.

Last edited by a moderator:

encerent

Have you tried magnesium bicarbonate? Here's how you can make it: Magnesium bicarbonate supplementation - Toxinless .

Also the Life-Flo gel doesn't list how much magnesium is in each dose. Wonder how much mg one is getting with that product.

tara

Pure magnesium will burst into a white hot flame from contact with the air.
Pure sodium is to be handled with care too. And hydrogen. :)
I wish I had learned more chemistry, but my novice impression is that all those highly reactive elements, along with flexibility of carbon, give plenty of scope for developing complex biochemistry.

Interesting thought. Like many things that are essential to life, magnesium is extremely volatile. Pure magnesium will burst into a white hot flame from contact with the air. I've never heard a convincing explanation on why topical magnesium stings and burns so much, but because it happens with both epsom salt spray and with magnesium chloride spray, it must be because of the magnesium.
Does this happen at high dilution too? Many things can be irritating at very high concentrations, including salt (NaCl) and sugar. I guess we are evolved to get magnesium primarily from plants, diluted and in more complex molecules. Taking it as a concentrated supplement is a recent workaround.

amethyst

I use the Life-Flo brand as well and like it very much. The only downside for me is, it is initially pretty greasy feeling, but I find if I rub it between my hands before applying it, it's not as greasy. Then I wait for it to dry before putting on clothes. I usually use it before I exercise. Dr. Sircus, I believe says we absorb transdermal magnesium within 20 minutes of application, if I recall, but to apply it to a good portion of your body for maximum absorption. He has some good articles on magnesium here: Magnesium Articles, Dosages, Benefits, Uses and Warnings I think to avoid those magnesium cramps one might get, we need to balance it with calcium via food or supplements. I am not too big on calcium supplementation. I like to get it from food sources like Peat endorses.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals