Magnesium Sulfate Injection

Orius

I have inflammatory bowel with damage to my terminal ileum, so I don't absorb minerals like I used to. I have to take high oral doses to even absorb a fraction. One exception is magnesium. No matter how little I take, it gives me horrible diarrhea.

So I do injections instead. Every night I inject 3mL of 500mg/mL magnesium sulfate USP. I usually inject into the quads.

The problem is, the solution is buffered with sulfuric acid, and it's damaging my leg muscles over time. I have hard, semi-permanent injection lumps now.

Doing magnesium this way really helps me a lot. I have noticed big, positive changes to my metabolism, nervous system, bones/teeth, all of it. The problem is that the route of administration is damaging my muscles.

Any advice on how to get around this? Please don't tell me to do magnesium oil, patches, or epsom salt baths. They deliver such little amounts that it's not worth it. Even with 3mL of the mag sulfate I take, it breaks down to about 150mg of magnesium per injection.

Thanks!

yerrag

I don't know if this can help, nor would I know if it's practical for the long term, nor if the colon can absorb the magnesium, but have you considered using enema?

S-VV

Try other magnesium salts. Off the top of my head: magnesium heptahydrate and magnesium d-gluconate.

Topical. Take magnesium chloride solution topically, or soak your feet or a bath of magnesium sulfate in water.

OP
O

Orius

I did. I think you write topical off without good reason. Have you bathed in epsom salts?

Please stop. I have tried that route and it doesn't work to sufficiently elevate my mag levels. It's why I don't want to talk about it.

OP
O

Orius

Try other magnesium salts. Off the top of my head: magnesium heptahydrate and magnesium d-gluconate.

Magnesium heptahydrate is the sulfate form, which I'm already taking. Gluconate is not available by IM injection, just IV.

Here are the different mag ratios:
One (1) gram of the various magnesium salts contain the following amounts of elemental magnesium:

magnesium chloride: 120 mg (9.8 mEq) elemental magnesium.
magnesium gluconate: 54 mg (4.5 mEq) elemental magnesium.
magnesium lactate: 120 mg (10 mEq) elemental magnesium.
magnesium oxide: 603 mg (50.3 mEq) elemental magnesium.
magnesium sulfate: 98 mg (8.12 mEq) elemental magnesium.

I would consider the chloride form for injection but each 1mL only contains 200mg of mag chloride, so I would have to use more mL per injection to get adequate levels. Conversely, mag sulfate comes in 500mg/mL dosages, but the amount of mag per molecule is lower.

I find magnesium supplementation really frustrating. Even the coveted (bis)glycinate form, if you break it down does not contain that much elemental mag.

I'd consider magnesium water but I really have low oral tolerance + low absorption, and I can't tolerate carbonated beverages either.

Sigh... I don't know what to do.

Please stop. I have tried that route and it doesn't work to sufficiently elevate my mag levels. It's why I don't want to talk about it.

no need to be rude. If you post you can simply ignore advice you don’t want.

S-VV

Magnesium heptahydrate is the sulfate form, which I'm already taking. Gluconate is not available by IM injection, just IV.

Here are the different mag ratios:
One (1) gram of the various magnesium salts contain the following amounts of elemental magnesium:

magnesium chloride: 120 mg (9.8 mEq) elemental magnesium.
magnesium gluconate: 54 mg (4.5 mEq) elemental magnesium.
magnesium lactate: 120 mg (10 mEq) elemental magnesium.
magnesium oxide: 603 mg (50.3 mEq) elemental magnesium.
magnesium sulfate: 98 mg (8.12 mEq) elemental magnesium.

I would consider the chloride form for injection but each 1mL only contains 200mg of mag chloride, so I would have to use more mL per injection to get adequate levels. Conversely, mag sulfate comes in 500mg/mL dosages, but the amount of mag per molecule is lower.

I find magnesium supplementation really frustrating. Even the coveted (bis)glycinate form, if you break it down does not contain that much elemental mag.

I'd consider magnesium water but I really have low oral tolerance + low absorption, and I can't tolerate carbonated beverages either.

Sigh... I don't know what to do.
If you have ileal damage, oral supplementation is just an uphill battle, especially with magnesium, which has a low bioavailability. B12 is also i.m. for ileal damage/resection. There is a reason for that. Oral just doesn't work that well. Also, direct injection has therapeutic benefits that oral doesn't have. You can use i.v. magnesium to stop a seizure in its tracks, forget about doing that with oral.

I guess you'll have to settle for the least bad form, determined by good old empirical tests.

You need to rotate injection sites tho. Fibrosis will occur no matter what salt you use if you don't rotate. That's why steroid users regularly rotate. Maybe you could try subcutaneous injection?

You can also do regular injection breaks that you bridge with massive oral/topical doses. Not ideal, but at least it's something.

OP
O

Orius

If you have ileal damage, oral supplementation is just an uphill battle, especially with magnesium, which has a low bioavailability. B12 is also i.m. for ileal damage/resection. There is a reason for that. Oral just doesn't work that well. Also, direct injection has therapeutic benefits that oral doesn't have. You can use i.v. magnesium to stop a seizure in its tracks, forget about doing that with oral.

I guess you'll have to settle for the least bad form, determined by good old empirical tests.

You need to rotate injection sites tho. Fibrosis will occur no matter what salt you use if you don't rotate. That's why steroid users regularly rotate. Maybe you could try subcutaneous injection?

You can also do regular injection breaks that you bridge with massive oral/topical doses. Not ideal, but at least it's something.

I have fibrosis already in my quads. I'm not sure where else in my body there are large enough muscles to accommodate up to 3mL in one pop. Deltoids can't. The buttocks could maybe, but then I won't be able to sit down until the injection lump is processed over night, and sitting on that lump would be painful. Also self-injecting into the glutes is a pain. Maybe subcutaneous is better. It burns either way though. I am very frustrated. I wish I was skilled at self-IV because I can handle the mag flush and it would mean instant delivery, but self-IV creeps me out and it would damage veins over time anyway.

It hasn't been established that my ileum is damaged and not absorbing anything, but based on my symptoms and my labs for other things like iron, it's probably the case.

Runenight201

What about administering a substance that deals with the fibrosis? I’ve never explored any injection of substances but from what I’ve come across about accounts of steroid users who have much quicker recovery time, wound healing, and overall improved athleticism from their compounds, couldn’t there be a case where you could administer something that would locally address the fibrosis at hand?

SuperStressed

I have fibrosis already in my quads. I'm not sure where else in my body there are large enough muscles to accommodate up to 3mL in one pop. Deltoids can't. The buttocks could maybe, but then I won't be able to sit down until the injection lump is processed over night, and sitting on that lump would be painful. Also self-injecting into the glutes is a pain. Maybe subcutaneous is better. It burns either way though. I am very frustrated. I wish I was skilled at self-IV because I can handle the mag flush and it would mean instant delivery, but self-IV creeps me out and it would damage veins over time anyway.

It hasn't been established that my ileum is damaged and not absorbing anything, but based on my symptoms and my labs for other things like iron, it's probably the case.
PM sent. You can use lidocaine btw to stop the sting. I read theres a doctor out there using Taurine to stop the sting but dunno where to get that for injection, think ill try lidocaine myself. You can check out forums like phoenixrising.me where they talk about the Taurine thing.

SubQ should work fine in the belly fat... I've seen miracles with hydrox b12 injections done in the belly fat.

Last edited:
OP
O

Orius

PM sent. You can use lidocaine btw to stop the sting. I read theres a doctor out there using Taurine to stop the sting but dunno where to get that for injection, think ill try lidocaine myself. You can check out forums like phoenixrising.me where they talk about the Taurine thing.

SubQ should work fine in the belly fat... I've seen miracles with hydrox b12 injections done in the belly fat.

I've found the best muscle depth and angle to do the muscle injections, but it has taken years of trial and error. I've also likely permanently damaged my quad muscles with such injections. SubQ only works if you do very small amounts, but I do 3mL at a time in order to get closer to the RDA of mag. SubQ burns worse, I find, and IM allows the mag to slowly seep into the body over many hours. IV mag tends to be urinated out within 24 hours and is fairly useless, unless the IV drip is done very slowly over a day -- and nobody has time for that.

I would never inject mag sulfate into my belly. It's usually preserved with sulfuric acid and I would not want cosmetic damage showing up on my abdomen.

Nebula

I think I get good absorption from concentrated magnesium sulfate or chloride applied all over the whole body if I get hot enough to sweat and open my pores like going into a sauna right afterwards. I tried this today. I didn’t notice much until I ate dinner. I got very warm and sedated into sleep for an hour. Going to try to keep this up daily for awhile.