Random musings: magnesium, supplementing, the Peat way, and maybe more.

I thought when you posted some pics of your weight loss and belly flattening... IN your denim "jumper" and then... no? Ah well...
The progression pics in the white shorts in my two weight loss threads are of me, while this one below is not me….
1706286698465.jpeg

This below with the head on is me, now…

1706286539657.jpeg

TucsonJJ

Yes it is me in the denim roper pics, but the one I posted of a girl in a bikini bottom, with her progressive pics of her weight going up while she looks skinnier was not of me.
Ah... well, no problem, I am not doing bikini pics currently either! 😕

TucsonJJ

I agree with you JJ, and I don’t know what is going on. Personally I am happy with where Ray Peat has gotten me. My liver is really happy!
I think I'll move on from this forum... too much contradictory info, very confusing and frustrating... but I will keep your diet recommendations handy, and try them... and I appreciate all of your feedback!!

TucsonJJ

I'm moving an ongoing conversation from another thread to here:

@TucsonJJ
Being that we're off of the DHEA centered topic, I'll attempt to address all that you commented on.

I think there is a possibility that the non-mag components are affecting me, like the glycine—for glycine definitely hits me hard. There must be something about orotate that sits well with me, as the Swanson Ultra Magnesium Orotate is probably the greatest success I've ever had with a supplement. I do have the Bulk Supplements brand of magnesium orotate as well, from the search list you've provided. It's been so long since I've tried it, I don't recall why I've stopped talking it. It must not have measured up to the Swanson. I will put that on my list of one to try again.

Like you, because there is hardly a supplement I can take beyond 1-2 times, before experiencing bad effects, I question whether we should be supplementing at all. For now, I think there is validity to it, but that it's just like most of life—very challenging and hard to get it right; and that this is magnified for many that are overly sensitive. I think you may have a point about the amount of supplements that are needed. At least, I think it would make sense to use supplements to get up to par—if par could ever be reached—and then stop. I think the short answer to your question is more "yes" than "no", where you ask if our bodies are so poorly designed that we need all sorts of supplements to survive and thrive. I'm no scientist, but I think it's the law of entropy (if I'm stating and understanding that properly) that basically says all things are losing energy, hence the reason we age. As we've all witnessed, either within ourselves or others, imbalances and health issues come about. Many are hoping supplements, proper diet, exercise, etc. can compensate for those deficiencies and illnesses.

So, D-ribose and Chondroitin works well for your legs? Do you have edema?

As for the Peat way, his way was a sharp and definitive confirmation that what I was doing was wrong and what he said was better than what I was doing. Now, I think any reasonable person would be open to the possibility that there is a way that may be better than Peat's, though I could guess it wouldn't be a clean slate, or a complete wiping away of all things Peat. For me, after many years and diets, the Peat way at least brought me several steps up from where I was.

I do see some value in portion control, but I tend to think the Peatish theory (if I'm assigning that properly) of getting enough calories to the point of satiating the body, even if you err on the side of too many calories, has the greater value; at least for a sub-par, hypothyroid body. I would think the healthier you are, the more you can push and stress yourself. I can't say this with any scientific explanation, other than that is what I've gleaned from my studying and reading on this forum.

As for veggies, I can attest too many raw is murder on my gut. I can take the raw carrot, which can be slightly troubling at times, but I believe that's what it's supposed to do as it pushes things onward. Cooked vegetables I can take better, but the ones that I understand to be high in oxalates, like spinach, don't feel right by themselves—if I add fat they seem to taste and feel better.

I have not experienced anything negative from meat and dairy. If anything, I'm glad I've upped their intake since Peating. Even so, I don't think I eat a lot of meat.

As for sugar, it seems to do for me just what Peat said: gives me needed energy. But, I do think you need to be conscious about keeping it off your teeth. I try to get it from fruit and honey if possible, but due to cost and convenience, a little white sugar, and added sugars in processed foods, I do consume.

As for the vigorous working out, that was another Peatism that hit the nail on the head. When I first got into a hypothyroid state, 13 years ago, I had the "just do it" mentality that so many of us do, and I thought I needed to "no pain, no gain" my way out of my sluggish state. That just made me worse. Same with intermittent fasting. Working out, with fasting, crushed me.

I have tried magnesium oil. I had forgotten about it, but you've just reminded me of it. I may try that again.
Our convo turned into a pretty good thread, eh?? 😉

I think I'll move on from this forum... too much contradictory info, very confusing and frustrating... but I will keep your diet recommendations handy, and try them... and I appreciate all of your feedback!!
You’ll be missed JJ.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

When I wanted to fix my sleep issues I found that the timing of my foods was the issue. I took Ray Peat’s advice and ate my proteins during the day, which are for energy, and had my carbs and fat’s in the evenings. It was the major key to my good sleep, as well as for others in that thread of mine…

I do recall reading that, and have attempted sticking to a loose version of it. But, were the carbs in the morning or night? I kind of remember carbs in the morning, but maybe I'm wrong.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Oh believe me I wasn’t saying it was simple or that a person knows, I was saying that when a person decides to take a supplement, for whatever their suspicions are, why not just eat the food that are high in that vitamin or mineral? That was the simplicity of what I was trying to say.
I do prefer to get vitamins from foods, and sometimes that's sufficient. But supplementing usually produces more noticeable results. For instance, if I supplement vitamin C I can see a noticeable effect on my skin: looks noticeably better. I should do a test: 1 week with vitamin C via supp, and 1 week via oranges and lemons. I can tell you the fruit will be significantly more expensive.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Well, after looking over Rinse n repeat's diet tips... I might go slower on the starches... well see...
Yes, choco milk has 100 calories more per serving than lowfat reg milk, but Peaters seem to love sugar, so probably no biggie, and you mixing your own can't be TOO much better in terms of cals... eh?

You might read about Butyrate... I think Dinkov dislikes it, but many Youtube videos seem to suggest it is a cur-all for gut trouble... dang, so many contradictory opinions about everything... hard to find a good path... I find ground fennel seed, around 1/4-1/2 tsp helps my stomach... and taking a lot of psyllium fiber has really helped... I take a heaping tsp or more before all meals... makes for easy poopin' too!
I don't mind the sugar in chocolate milk. It's the potential gut disruptors I don't like: various gums, carrageenan, etc.

I'll look that up—thanks. I have a load of supps for the gut and not one has worked. I thought TUDCA would be the solution, but I had bad effects.

I do like fennel seed, and I have tried a digestive aid with ground fennel, but my gut doesn't like it.

TucsonJJ

I do recall reading that, and have attempted sticking to a loose version of it. But, were the carbs in the morning or night? I kind of remember carbs in the morning, but maybe I'm wrong.
I find chlorpheniramine really helps me sleep... so does a small toke or two of ganja.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals