Random musings: magnesium, supplementing, the Peat way, and maybe more.

@TucsonJJ

I just assembled my juice for tomorrow, with organic frozen blueberries, raspberries and a sliced orange, and it only took me two minutes. I will have it over the course of three days.

1706202548426.jpeg

OP
Mossy

Mossy

I don’t understand why when someone thinks they are lacking a vitamin why they don’t look up which foods are high in those vitamins and eat more of them for awhile. The thing about vitamins is that they need a natural balance of others to be able to use them properly. It is like the body being thirsty and you give it a big drink of water and then after it is quenched you keep making it drink more and more and more, when it is not thirsty. If I were to supplement, I would at the very least do it every other day or twice a week or something like that, like Ray Peat suggesting 3-ounces of liver a week for copper, or shrimp once a week for zinc. Most people feel good taking a supplement and think that that is going to be the case repeating it every day, and then when they don’t feel so good they search for a mysterious answer as to what the problem might be. I read a study the other day that too much vitamin D made the subjects bones more brittle than they would otherwise be taking none at all. Too much is just as bad as too little. People just need to choose their foods wiser, with color to them, and let their bodies do what they were designed to do with it.

"When a person uses a drug, there is generally an awareness that the benefit has to be weighed against the side effects. But if something is treated as a “nutrient,” especially an “essential nutrient,” there is an implication that it won't produce undesirable side effects." -Ray Peat

“Taking too much of Vitamin C can lead to iron overload in the body, which can cause damage to liver, heart, pancreas, thyroid and central nervous system.”

“Chronically high intakes of selenium can lead to health problems, ranging from muscle tremors, hair loss, stomach upset, and lightheadedness, to more severe outcomes of heart attack, respiratory distress, or kidney failure.

“Taking zinc orally, 5 or 10 mg, can replenish the body's stores in a few days, but the supplement can oxidize other nutrients in the stomach or intestine, so it isn't good to use it for a long time.” -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

“In these nursing home veterans, vitamin D supplement users were the most frail but with high 25 (OH) D. This can potentially be a cause of U-shaped associations between vitamin D levels and negative health outcomes.”

“The growth and metastasis of a variety of tumors are inhibited by saturated fatty acids, and increased by fish oil--as much as 10 times in number of metastases, 1000 times in size (Griffini, et al., 1998).” -Ray Peat
I don't think it's as simple as saying a person knows they lack a specific vitamin, and so they assume they need to simply supplement it to be back to normal. The majority of the time, especially when someone enters into a hypothyroid state, they don't even know where to begin. Chronic fatigue, common for those in a hypothyroid state, is hard to recover from; and during that time, sleep is very bad and unrestorative. I remember when I was in that state and I took taurine for the first time, and another time theanine, it was like I finally was in a place where my body could sleep. Granted, the supplements themselves brought on their own problems, because I'm insanely sensitive, but at least I was getting some sleep, periodically. Food was not doing that for me. Magnesium orotate was helpful as well, and maybe the best supplment I've ever taken. But, once again, it had a more immediate, and arguably, needed effect that food alone was not providing me. I could agree, and it's my objective, to not take any more supplements than I need. The old saying is likely true: "Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food". But, when you can't even digest the food, because of a seriously messed up digestive system, other help is needed. It's a very fine line, to find success with supplements—as this forum shows. And, true victory will be when no more supplements are needed.

I don't think it's as simple as saying a person knows they lack a specific vitamin, and so they assume they need to simply supplement it to be back to normal. The majority of the time, especially when someone enters into a hypothyroid state, they don't even know where to begin. Chronic fatigue, common for those in a hypothyroid state, is hard to recover from; and during that time, sleep is very bad and unrestorative. I remember when I was in that state and I took taurine for the first time, and another time theanine, it was like I finally was in a place where my body could sleep. Granted, the supplements themselves brought on their own problems, because I'm insanely sensitive, but at least I was getting some sleep, periodically. Food was not doing that for me. Magnesium orotate was helpful as well, and maybe the best supplment I've ever taken. But, once again, it had a more immediate, and arguably, needed effect that food alone was not providing me. I could agree, and it's my objective, to not take any more supplements than I need. The old saying is likely true: "Let food be thy medicine, and medicine be thy food". But, when you can't even digest the food, because of a seriously messed up digestive system, other help is needed. It's a very fine line, to find success with supplements—as this forum shows. And, true victory will be when no more supplements are needed.
When I wanted to fix my sleep issues I found that the timing of my foods was the issue. I took Ray Peat’s advice and ate my proteins during the day, which are for energy, and had my carbs and fat’s in the evenings. It was the major key to my good sleep, as well as for others in that thread of mine…

I don't think it's as simple as saying a person knows they lack a specific vitamin, and so they assume they need to simply supplement it to be back to normal. .
Oh believe me I wasn’t saying it was simple or that a person knows, I was saying that when a person decides to take a supplement, for whatever their suspicions are, why not just eat the food that are high in that vitamin or mineral? That was the simplicity of what I was trying to say.

TucsonJJ

You're lucky. I've tried, I can't deal with potatoes. Sometimes I can't resist and I'll just eat them, but then I have trouble to deal with.

Sourdough is my favorite bread, and I tend to be okay with it. In general, I'm able to eat more bread these days than in the last 7 years.

I will shop Sprouts sometimes, so I'll look for Zeal Creamery. I do prefer raw though, for the potential boost in nutrients. Peat's thought that milk is as near to perfect of a food seems to suggest raw would be the best version of that.

Chocolate milk is great, but I find it hard to find a brand without a considerable amount of additives. Maybe Sprout's doesn't have that; I'll look for that next time as well. But mixing cocoa powder in raw milk, with sugar, vanilla, and maybe some spices, is hard to beat, quality wise; though, a pain to deal with (the powder takes quite a bit of finessing to get it to blend).
Well, after looking over Rinse n repeat's diet tips... I might go slower on the starches... well see...
Yes, choco milk has 100 calories more per serving than lowfat reg milk, but Peaters seem to love sugar, so probably no biggie, and you mixing your own can't be TOO much better in terms of cals... eh?

You might read about Butyrate... I think Dinkov dislikes it, but many Youtube videos seem to suggest it is a cur-all for gut trouble... dang, so many contradictory opinions about everything... hard to find a good path... I find ground fennel seed, around 1/4-1/2 tsp helps my stomach... and taking a lot of psyllium fiber has really helped... I take a heaping tsp or more before all meals... makes for easy poopin' too!

Looks delicious... is your "base" liquid water... or some type of juice?
The base is fluoride-free filtered water from my countertop gravity filter. I fill the container about half full of fruit. You could put it any fruit. I frozen, because it is frozen pretty quickly after picking. Regular fruit is picked a little too early to make up for the long time sitting on the shelf.

TucsonJJ

The base is fluoride-free filtered water from my countertop gravity filter. I fill the container about half full of fruit. You could put it any fruit. I frozen, because it is frozen pretty quickly after picking. Regular fruit is picked a little too early to make up for the long time sitting on the shelf.
I assume the flavor of the fruit leaches into the water well, eh?

Good stuff!

TucsonJJ

Oh intensely, and after three days the fruit and it’s skin, fiber and seeds looks depleted and pale and I toss it, no bloating for me!
Ah... so the grape skins/seeds may be bloating me? dang... I sure like them.. bananas out too... apples OK, but not the skins?
A little onion is not too starchy? I see it in one of your dishes...
Which veggies do you prefer... ??

Ah... so the grape skins/seeds may be bloating me? dang... I sure like them.. bananas out too... apples OK, but not the skins?
Ray Peat says eat juicy fruits like watermelon oranges, and grapes I suppose, raw, and starchy fruits like apples, pear, bananas and such cooked.

A little onion is not too starchy? I see it in one of your dishes...
Which veggies do you prefer... ??
A little onion raw is fine, and I use sweet onion not regular brown ones, which have more sugar than starch. Baby vegetables are sweeter and have more sugar get more starch as they get bigger. I eat mostly asparagus, broccoli and artichokes, parsnips, red potatoes, white sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions and rainbow carrots, not the orange ones. I sometimes throw a little arugula or baby lettuce on a plate.

TucsonJJ

A little onion raw is fine, and I use sweet onion not regular brown ones, which have more sugar than starch. Baby vegetables are sweeter and have more sugar get more starch as they get bigger. I eat mostly asparagus, broccoli and artichokes, parsnips, red potatoes, white sweet potatoes, mushrooms, onions and rainbow carrots, not the orange ones. I sometimes throw a little arugula or baby lettuce on a plate.
Got it. thanks!!

@TucsonJJ

Dear Ray,

Is alcohol all estrogen promoting or are there any that are safe to drink? Spirits?

"Pure colorless highly distilled alcohol is the safest. It can have antioxidant effects, but in some people it can interfere with the respiratory enzymes and lower blood sugar. Fructose is protective against some of its toxic effects." Ray Peat e-mail exchange

TucsonJJ

@TucsonJJ

Dear Ray,

Is alcohol all estrogen promoting or are there any that are safe to drink? Spirits?

"Pure colorless highly distilled alcohol is the safest. It can have antioxidant effects, but in some people it can interfere with the respiratory enzymes and lower blood sugar. Fructose is protective against some of its toxic effects." Ray Peat e-mail exchange
Xlnt!! So... a nice Screwdriver, or a white tequila and lime-flavored seltzer water with fresh lime juice... Yummy!!

You have been a big help... kudos and thanks... that pic of you in a bikini bottom was pleasant too!

I just bought a bottle of Herradura Blanco... I hope it is good... gets great reviews... will be testing it soon!

I did not post a pic of me in a bikini bottom, but I am always happy to help.

I thought when you posted some pics of your weight loss and belly flattening... IN your denim "jumper" and then... no? Ah well...
Yes it is me in the denim roper pics, but the one I posted of a girl in a bikini bottom, with her progressive pics of her weight going up while she looks skinnier was not of me.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals