Being Cheap: Can I Use Enteric-Coated Gelatin Capsules For Magnesium Orotate?

yerrag

I spent pretty much the day reading up on Han's Nieper's book "Curious Man." I now want to try his formulation of magnesium orotate. Stuff is on Amazon, but I don't see any review that's really helpful for me, and I don't want to spend so much for his product, as it's pretty expensive.

The promise in orotate is that it is said to be a very effective mineral transporter into the cell, and if it can transport magnesium inside the cell, the magnesium will be able to displace lead that is embedded in mitochondria, effectively chelating the lead out of the cell. This is what I hope will restore my kidneys to work fully.

A 200-tablet bottle of 500 mg mag orotate by NCI (not elemental by the way, elemental is only 36.5), and in order to get 300 mg of elemental magnesium (assimilated and utilized, not simply absorbed- as the magnesium is orotate form is almost 100% utilized, supposedly), I would have to take 8 tablets, and a bottle lasts only 16 days. If I were to consume this for 6 months, I would need 12 bottles. At $44/bottle, this would run me $526, without shipping yet.

Of course, this formulation could be so effective that I would just need 2 bottles. Who knows? But then, given my experience in having rosy expectations quashed by regimens that want to have a life of their own, and keep me on an endless road of fixing and spending on myself, I want to see if I can find a cheaper solution that may possibly be just as effective.

Besides, looking at the reviews, the chief complaint is that these tablets are huge and don't have rounded corners, and are tough to swallow. That has probably a lot to do with the enteric coating employed, as well as the typical fillers, which ensures the magnesium orotate goes all the way to the small intestine to be absorbed, instead of being neutralized by stomach acids.

I see that Bulksupplements has magnesium orotate in powder form. I plan on putting the powder in enteric-coated gelatin capsules, which can also be bought in Amazon, and then taking these capsules instead. I will just end up using 740 grams of this powder powder, and I would have some leftover from the 1 kg pack from bulksupplements that costs $70. Capsules and a capsule-filling machine won't cost so much. For 1000 capsules sized 00, and a capsule filling machine for it, it would set me back about $40.

Has anyone here ever used enter-coated gelatin capsules? Do they work well? @Dave Clark @TreasureVibe @Dan Wich ?

Do you suppose when Nieper formulated these tablets, enteric coatings for capsules weren't available, as it doesn't make sense that he didn't just use enteric capsules, and be done with the excipients and the trouble with swallowing a large tablet?

Last edited:

Dave Clark

I spent pretty much the day reading up on Han's Nieper's book "Curious Man." I now want to try his formulation of magnesium orotate. Stuff is on Amazon, but I don't see any review that's really helpful for me, and I don't want to spend so much for his product, as it's pretty expensive.

A 200-tablet bottle of 500 mg mag orotate by NCI (not elemental by the way, elemental is only 36.5), and in order to get 300 mg of elemental magnesium (assimilated and utilized, not simply absorbed- as the magnesium is orotate form is almost 100% utilized, supposedly), I would have to take 8 tablets, and a bottle lasts only 16 days. If I were to consume this for 6 months, I would need 12 bottles. At $44/bottle, this would run me $526, without shipping yet.

Of course, this formulation could be so effective that I would just need 2 bottles. Who knows? But then, given my experience in having rosy expectations quashed by regimens that want to have a life of their own, and keep me on an endless road of fixing and spending on myself, I want to see if I can find a cheaper solution that may possibly be just as effective.

Besides, looking at the reviews, the chief complaint is that these tablets are huge and don't have rounded corners, and are tough to swallow. That has probably a lot to do with the enteric coating employed, as well as the typical fillers, which ensures the magnesium orotate goes all the way to the small intestine to be absorbed, instead of being neutralized by stomach acids.

I see that Bulksupplements has magnesium orotate in powder form. I plan on putting the powder in enteric-coated gelatin capsules, which can also be bought in Amazon, and then taking these capsules instead. I will just end up using 740 grams of this powder powder, and I would have some leftover from the 1 kg pack from bulksupplements that costs $70. Capsules and a capsule-filling machine won't cost so much. For 1000 capsules sized 00, and a capsule filling machine for it, it would set me back about $40.

Has anyone here ever used enter-coated gelatin capsules? Do they work well? @Dave Clark @TreasureVibe @Dan Wich ?

Do you suppose when Nieper formulated these tablets, enteric coatings for capsules weren't available, as it doesn't make sense that he didn't just use enteric capsules, and be done with the excipients and the trouble with swallowing a large tablet?
I have not used the enteric coated capsules, in fact, I did not know they had them available, thanks for that tip. I know Nieper's minerals are micro-vortex coated, meaning the particles themselves are enteric coated, not the capsule or outside of the pill (some enzyme products like Zymessence use micro-vortex coating). I suppose it would just be a guess to say that putting the orotate powders in an EC capsule would have the same absorption as Nieper's MV pills. I believe the reason you don't see high levels of elemental mineral in his formulas is because it is thought that the absorption is much better and less is needed (less goes out the colon). When used at their recommended dose, they aren't that expensive. I use them in supplement to other forms, less expensive than them, i.e. magnesium bicarbonate water, potassium bicarbonate, magnesium chloride, etc. I get most of my calcium from food, dairy, leafy greens, etc. I also use their Mineral 2AEP formula too, which supplies a bit of the minerals, and is not expensive (Swanson has good prices on NCI Advanced Research).

OP
yerrag

yerrag

I believe the reason you don't see high levels of elemental mineral in his formulas is because it is thought that the absorption is much better and less is needed (less goes out the colon).
That makes sense as many people seem happy with using the product.

I could be wrong, but I feel that I may need more than the regular dose, as it may take a strong dose to dislodge lead out of the mitochondria in my kidney cells.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals