Unsystematic Thread of Things I Have Learned

OP
redsun

redsun

Great information in this.

What do you think about bovine lactoferrin as a iron supplement for those with iron deficiency?

In the comparison studies (eg. comparing 100mg LF with 500mg of non-heme iron) I‘ve read it had superior effects on iron status and had much less side effects.
I am assuming you mean the study with pregnant women where they compared 520 mg of ferrous sulfate (156mg iron) to 200 mg of bovine lactoferrin. The lactoferrin was 100mg twice daily, which they estimated contained 8.8 mg of iron.

Ferrous sulfate is very poorly absorbed so the dose has to be unusually high. I have not been able to find precise information on the absorption rate of lactoferrin but generally I have seen that its well-absorbed. So when the lactoferrin absorbs by complexing with the lactoferrin receptor, it releases the iron it contains which can then get into the bloodstream. So it seems to be a very direct way to get iron into the system in a less inflammatory way and since it doesn't get absorbed the way iron normally does, absorption may not be affected by hepcidin. There wasnt a statistically significant difference in Hgb values but serum iron was higher which could be partly be due to lactoferrin itself since it has functions besides being a source of iron.

If you consider side effects, lactoferrin is preferred but to have a more significant effect you probably need much more than 200mg. But in comparison to iron bisglycinate, which has better absorption and reduced GI side effects, its probably not as effective. Also if you look at the data of the full study the hemoglobin value barely changed. It only last 30 days, but if was better absorbed iron glycinate or much higher dose of lactoferrin there may have been a greater change. Also they didnt test ferritin which may have told us more.

So in summary, lactoferrin may possibly be better than ferrous sulfate, but probably isn't better than iron bisglycinate.

what do you think is behind my not being able to produce energy or heat with refined sugar? even consuming tons of it a day (100 grams to 600 grams) I don't create a gram of fat and my intestines are slightly inflamed however, if I replace this with small amounts of sugar in the form of whole foods (fruits, potatoes, rice...) do I feel energetic and my intestines are working well? even with less calories

I answered this in your thread about your switch to whole food carbs. You will better utilize carbs from whole foods compared to refined sugar due to the beneficial effects of micronutrients in whole food.

Roni123@

I am assuming you mean the study with pregnant women where they compared 520 mg of ferrous sulfate (156mg iron) to 200 mg of bovine lactoferrin. The lactoferrin was 100mg twice daily, which they estimated contained 8.8 mg of iron.

Ferrous sulfate is very poorly absorbed so the dose has to be unusually high. I have not been able to find precise information on the absorption rate of lactoferrin but generally I have seen that its well-absorbed. So when the lactoferrin absorbs by complexing with the lactoferrin receptor, it releases the iron it contains which can then get into the bloodstream. So it seems to be a very direct way to get iron into the system in a less inflammatory way and since it doesn't get absorbed the way iron normally does, absorption may not be affected by hepcidin. There wasnt a statistically significant difference in Hgb values but serum iron was higher which could be partly be due to lactoferrin itself since it has functions besides being a source of iron.

If you consider side effects, lactoferrin is preferred but to have a more significant effect you probably need much more than 200mg. But in comparison to iron bisglycinate, which has better absorption and reduced GI side effects, its probably not as effective. Also if you look at the data of the full study the hemoglobin value barely changed. It only last 30 days, but if was better absorbed iron glycinate or much higher dose of lactoferrin there may have been a greater change. Also they didnt test ferritin which may have told us more.

So in summary, lactoferrin may possibly be better than ferrous sulfate, but probably isn't better than iron bisglycinate.

I answered this in your thread about your switch to whole food carbs. You will better utilize carbs from whole foods compared to refined sugar due to the beneficial effects of micronutrients in whole food.

but where does the unburned sugar go?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals