IdeaLabs In Yer Nose!

cjm

In which I put things places they weren't supposed to go...

Read dis first if ye ain't read it yet: IdeaLabs In Yer Eye!

~~~

BUT WHY? First yer eye, NOW YER NOSE?!

In short, my desire for an alternative delivery method of active substances is running into potential safety concerns. I'm pre-empting these concerns by shifting to yer nose, I mean da nose.

You might have your own reasons for wanting to try either eye or nasal administration of substances that work for you. Personally my gut is a wasteland from reckless supplementation and so many of my body processes seem to be vicious, unbreakable circles. I mentioned hypoxia in Yer Eye thread as a certain cause of my woes and Ray speaks about the importance of a "chain-breaker" in this context:

“It is often the deficiency of oxygen which unleashes the dangerous free-radical processes. Many substances can function as antioxidants/chain breakers: thyroxine, uric acid, biliverdin, selenium, iodine, vitamin A, sodium, magnesium, and lithium, and a variety of enzymes. Saturated fats work with antioxidants to block the spread of free-radical chain reactions. Age pigment is the brown material that forms spots on aging skin, and that accumulates in the lens of the eye forming cataracts, and in blood vessels causing hardening of the arteries, and in the heart and brain and other organs, causing their functions to deteriorate with age. It is made up of oxidized unsaturated oils with iron.” Iron’s Dangers

Solvent: Can pure saline be used? Yes. Intranasal saline alone is indicated for all sorts of minor and major ailments:

“The activity of nasal saline within the nasal cavity is mainly physical action. The saline will help to remove the excess mucus and improve mucociliary clearance. This will support nasal breathing in acute upper respiratory tract infections, including the common cold and rhinosinusitis.1 In addition to these cleaning effects, there may be other benefits coming from trace elements in sea water or intentionally added minerals to create so-called "enriched waters." According to some clinical studies, prophylactic use of moistening sprays can reduce the number of viral infections when taken regularly.2 The mechanisms behind this observation are not clear, but regular saline sprays may prevent drying out of the mucus layer and help to maintain the aforementioned natural defense mechanisms. Also, the action of trace minerals may play a role here. Nasal saline reduces swelling of the nasal mucosa and is therefore recommended as a nasal decongestant in response to an infection or allergy (hay fever). Lower volumes of saline administered as drops (often used for toddlers) or sprays will dilute the highly viscous mucus, which may be enough to improve or to re-start the mucociliary clearance mechanisms. Higher volumes of saline will actually wash away the largest part of mucus and debris from the nasal cavity. This is a recommended procedure for people suffering from chronic rhinosinusitis.3” Intranasal Saline: Can a Spray Per Day Keep the Doctor Away?

Are there other considerations for delivery? Maybe. I could add ammonia for less fuss at the border (blood-brain-barrier) but judging by the smell of my armpit sweat, I am replete in it. Really I don't think this solution needs any "encouragements" if you will, the nature of the nasal cavity/throat tissue is part of this system, critical to application:

“Intranasal drug administration is a noninvasive method of bypassing the blood-brain barrier (BBB) to deliver neurotrophins and other therapeutic agents to the brain and spinal cord. This method allows drugs that do not cross the BBB to be delivered to the central nervous system (CNS) and eliminates the need for systemic delivery, thereby reducing unwanted systemic side effects. Delivery from the nose to the CNS occurs within minutes along both the olfactory and trigeminal neural pathways. Intranasal delivery occurs by an extracellular route and does not require that drugs bind to any receptor or undergo axonal transport. Intranasal delivery also targets the nasal associated lymphatic tissues (NALT) and deep cervical lymph nodes. In addition, intranasally administered therapeutics are observed at high levels in the blood vessel walls and perivascular spaces of the cerebrovasculature.” Strategies for intranasal delivery of therapeutics for the prevention and treatment of neuroAIDS.

“Intranasal (i.n.) administration has emerged as a strategy to deliver therapeutics to the brain. Here, we compared i.n. and intravenous (i.v.) administration for testosterone. About 75% of the i.n. administered testosterone entered the blood. However, whole brain levels of testosterone were about twice as high after i.n. administration as after i.v. administration. About two-thirds of the testosterone entering the brain after i.n. administration did so by direct entry by nasal routes and the remainder indirectly by first entering the blood and then crossing the blood-brain barrier. All brain regions except the frontal cortex had higher levels of testosterone after i.n. administration than after i.v. administration, although the differences among brain regions varied much more for the i.n. route. The olfactory bulb, hypothalamus, striatum, and hippocampus had the highest levels after i.n. administration. The brain uptake pattern suggested a variety of distribution routes likely involving the cerebrospinal fluid, diffusion through brain tissue, and transport through nerve projections. Regional distribution patterns were similar after either i.n. or i.v. administration, suggesting that the dominant factor determining distribution/retention was the same for either route of administration. We conclude that the i.n. administration route delivers testosterone systemically and can target the brain, especially the olfactory bulb, hypothalamus, striatum, and hippocampus.” Delivery of testosterone to the brain by intranasal administration: comparison to intravenous testosterone.

Solute: After immediate results with Energin eye drops, that will be the active substance of choice for this pilot.

Bottle: I have an old Nasalcrom bottle (.88 oz, 100 metered sprays, more math in next section) at home that I'm not sure can be taken apart. If it can be, I will use that. I own a couple cheap defusers that are used for dispersing essential oils but it doesn’t seem practical to hold one by my face or light up a room with aerosol thiamine.

Dose:

“Mice received intranasal or intraperitoneal administrations of progesterone (8 mg/kg) at 1, 6, and 24 h post-MCAO.” Intranasal delivery of progesterone after transient ischemic stroke decreases mortality and provides neuroprotection.

Using a human-equivalent dose of 15% (I need a primer on this, may be way wrong) = 1.2 mg/kg, which is 97.2 mg for a 81 kg (~180 lbs) person. 100 mg total dose seems high through the nose, even if normal for an oral dose.

“The present study addresses the question of whether intranasally applied pregnenolone (IN-PREG) also has promnestic properties in the rat. We examined the effects of IN-PREG at doses of 0.187 and 0.373 mg/kg on memory for objects and their location on learning and retention of escape in a water maze, and on behavior on the elevated plus maze.” Promnestic effects of intranasally applied pregnenolone in rats

The doses there give a human range of 2.27 mg and 4.53 mg. Seems more reasonable for a pilot study.

This also jives with the 5.2 mg per spray of cromolyn sodium, a H2 anti-histamine [edit: I misspoke, it is actually called a "mast cell stabilizer"] and the active ingredient in Nasalcrom, which I tried when I was first looking into OTC remedies. (Zaditor [ketotifen] is an H2 anti-H eye-drop that was nice to use.) It’s a .88 oz bottle = ~26 mL = 26,000 uL. Nasalcrom says it contains 100 sprays, therefore each spray contains 260 uL or the equivalent of 5 drops.

If my original Tyronene eye drops contained ~.2 ug per drop, an equivalent nasal spray would be around 1 ug. My Progestene eye drops were denser, but in the ug range as well.

(I don’t know if there’s a good comparison between ophthalmic and intranasal doses, though, or at least I’m not sure how or where to compensate my variables to make a comparison.)

GIVEN ALL THAT, to get one full milligram of progesterone (using Progestene) in an intranasal spray of 260 ul, you need 62 or 63 drops into a total volume of 26 mL (520 drops).

Complications: Ethanol in this formulation is approaching 7%. I didn’t bother to check about the safety of ethanol in the nose until now:

“Co-solvents most used in intranasal formulations include glycerol, ethanol, propyleneglycol and polyethylene glycol and may be of the most importance since they are nontoxic, pharmaceutically acceptable and nonirritant to nasal mucosa.” Intranasal Drug Delivery: How, Why and What for?

OK I TRUST YOU J PHARM PHARMACEUT SCI

I’ll do the math on the dose of Energin per spray and put the damn thing in motion when I get home in a few hours.

Last edited:
OP
cjm

cjm

I tried caffeine this way, back when Such mentioned it:

So I took to snorting caffeine lately since it works so well and quick, but yesterday something went wrong because it burned very very hard for an hour or so. However I had a level of smell that I've never experienced. I went for a walk and smelled grass even though it hasn't been cut, smelled flowers from far away... at no point in a couple hours was I free from smelling anything. Pretty neat :alien:

I'll need to try again, and compare to the more diluted delivery of a spray. A few weeks ago, I rubbed some undiluted grapefruit seed extract inside my nose (a drop, ~10 mg) and had a minor nose bleed a few minutes later. That is my main concern with not diluting.

OP
cjm

cjm

Energin up yer nose: warning: rough math ahead:

Materials

Nasalcrom bottle - 13 mL (260 drops) [.44 oz, bottle was half the size I thought]
Energin - ~ 2mL (a full oral dose, 40 drops)
Saline - ~11 mL​

Mixture

15% Energin by volume
9% ethanol by volume​

One spray is a total volume of ~260 uL, or about 5 drops if a drop is 50 uL.
There are ~50 sprays in the bottle.
Since I'm dealing with an even full dose, we can divide each of the Bs as they are listed on the bottle by 50 and get the dose/spray.

Thiamine HCL (Vitamin B1): 50 mg / ~1 mg
Riboflavin-5-Phosphate (Vitamin B2): 20 mg / ~.4 mg
Niacinamide (Vitamin B3): 100 mg / ~2 mg
Pyridoxal-5-Phosphate (Vitamin B6): 6 mg / ~.12 mg
Biotin 1 mg / ~.02 mg

Energin/spray:

B1:
~1 mg
B2: ~0.4 mg
B3: ~2 mg
B6: ~0.12 mg
B7: ~0.02 mg​

Dose

I sprayed a few times (3-4 in each nostril) last night and again this morning (2 in each nostril).

Assuming 12 sprays total, my total dose over the past 12-16 hours:

B1: 11.5 mg
B2: 4.6 mg
B3: 23.1 mg
B6: 1.4 mg
B7: 0.2 mg​

Results

As with eye-droppings, the effect is subtle but noticeable. Tense, normally un-stretchable-by-me tissue in face loosening up (behind nose and above/behind eyebrows). Sense of smell which has been diminished for a while popping in every once in a while to say "I'm still here!" Facial contractions loosening something up in the bowels.

I will have to report back on the staining potential (Ribo-flava-flav) at this dilution.

Ethanol wasn't an issue, but the tissue in my ENT-area is thrashed, not the most responsive. Will keep my eyes open, I mean an ear to the ground, I mean nose to the grindstone.
Potential conflict of eye-nterest

In the concurrent In Yer Eye experiment, I am keeping the eye drop dosages low and using at major daily junctures, i.e., before and after sleep, after meals. Would like your input on timing there and also here in Yer Nose.​

Last edited:

managing

There are b12 and NAD nasal sprays on the market. Not the same of course, but in the same wheelhouse.

LeeLemonoil

Intranasal Salicylate-esters maybe good to deliever cortisol lowering, antiinflammatory salicylates
to the brain.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Narcan can be used nasally for drug overdose.

I've decided to use lisuride in my rat's nose. I'm just rubbing it straight onto the nasal membranes.

Arnold Grape

FYI: The Health Natura guy told me that it is dangerous to at least put the HN Pregnenolone powder in your nose - I cannot remember why. (It does strike me as a rather desperate predicament I must have been in to have put that product up my nose, but when you objectively examine the facts, I think I have done worse with Vitamin E.)

Blossom

Forum Supporter
FYI: The Health Natura guy told me that it is dangerous to at least put the HN Pregnenolone powder in your nose - I cannot remember why. (It does strike me as a rather desperate predicament I must have been in to have put that product up my nose, but when you objectively examine the facts, I think I have done worse with Vitamin E.)
Was it powder?
ETA: Never mind, I see it is powder.

OP
cjm

cjm

I've decided to use lisuride in my rat's nose. I'm just rubbing it straight onto the nasal membranes.

That's wild! What kind of dose are you finding is effective? I assume you would have discontinued immediately if there was discomfort.

FYI: The Health Natura guy told me that it is dangerous to at least put the HN Pregnenolone powder in your nose

I wonder if it's the excipients (if any) or the pregnenolone itself. I continue to spot-treat with caffeine in a pinch with no noticeable adverse effects.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
That's wild! What kind of dose are you finding is effective? I assume you would have discontinued immediately if there was discomfort.
None at all so far using 1 drop per nostril of lisuride in SFA/ethanol. Im just rubbing it in not inhaling it.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I stopped with the above experiment due to nasal irritation. It was nice at first but regular topical administration seems to work fine.

LeeLemonoil

Not ideal labs, but highly interesting nontheless

Biomed Pharmacother. 2018 Oct;106:1578-1585. doi: 10.1016/j.biopha.2018.07.127. Epub 2018 Jul 27.
Ursolic acid loaded intra nasal nano lipid vesicles for brain tumour: Formulation, optimization, in-vivo brain/plasma distribution study and histopathological assessment.
Khan K1, Aqil M2, Imam SS3, Ahad A4, Moolakkadath T1, Sultana Y1, Mujeeb M5.
Author information
Abstract

The aim was to formulate an optimized ursolic acid (UA) loaded lipid vesicle using formulation by design approach (FbD) for improving the drug targeting by nasal route for brain tumor. Three factors were evaluated at three different levels using anethole (terpene) (A), ethanol (B) and phospholipid90 G (C) as independent variables and their individual and combined effects were observed for PDI (Y1), vesicle size (Y2) and encapsulation efficiency (Y3) to select an optimal system (UALVopt). The optimized formulation was further converted into gel and evaluated for drug release, nasal permeation study, brain/plasma uptake and histopathology study. The UALVopt formulation containing anethole as terpene (1% as A), ethanol (2.6% as B) and phospholipid90 G (8.8 mg as C) showed low PDI (0.212), vesicle size (115.56 nm) and high entrapment efficiency (76.42%). The in-vitro drug release and ex-vivo permeation study results revealed prolonged drug release and permeation. The brain/blood ratio for UALVGopt remained significantly higher at all the time points with respect to UALVopt indicating higher and prolonged retention of drug at site of action. The histopathological study of the nasal mucosa and brain confirmed non-toxic nature of developed formulation. The formulation UALVGopt could serve as a better alternative for the brain targeting via the intranasal route which in turn could subsequently improve its efficacy.

OP
cjm

cjm

Magnoil/DMSO is safe in the nose. I wanted to put it in an eye drop but I've veered away from that route of administration. My eyes are too sensitive and I've had too many bad (stinging) experiences. I mixed 0.5 ml (10 drops) with ~10ml saline and sprayed a few times in each nostril. DMSO has a heck of a smell but it wasn't irritating. It's weird, though... when the mixture hits the back of my throat, it does start to irritate a tiny bit and it tastes like absolute garbage, but my nasal cavity seems fine, even after doubling the amount of Magnoil in the solution (1ml).

Last edited:
OP
cjm

cjm

Simply inhaling endotoxin (LPS) may cause Parkinson Disease (PD)

Things are getting precipitously better for me. I think back to this experiment and at the time, I intuited that nasal delivery was highly effective but I couldn't do anything to stop from ruminating and getting carried away in unrelated lines of investigation. I took the wrong approach, projecting myself onto various disease states without any kind of lab work or consultation with professionals.

@haidut's post today demystified a few things for me.

First, quick context, I've always ruminated but my muscular/immobility/stiffness issues started around the time that I was overexercising (3x weekly hour-long circuit training sessions -- I actually almost passed out during one session) and started to smoke a sh*t load of pot. I stopped exercising but kept smoking, much to my detriment. After a while smoking wasn't even fun, it was just a chore, an excuse to be reclusive. Still, I couldn't stop, it was compulsive. I still like pot but I've been more honest with myself recently about how I'm feeling so I tend to smoke less. I worked some hemp into my routine to counteract and balance the THC.

In light of this endotoxin-induced PD study, I see it may have just been the smoke itself that was causing issues. More context: I went to Mexico two years ago for full mouth reconstruction -- all of my teeth are capped save for wisdom teeth and two right molars, all removed. Also got 9 root canals. I completely ignored the discomfort in my sinuses after smoking. This was a major, major red flag. And since I was so reclusive and sheltered, I didn't get the feedback I needed. Something along the lines of "hey man, you're killing yourself" might have caused me some pause.

Speaking of smoke, I remember smoking organic tobacco out of a pipe, and one hit would cause such severe tension, accompanied by convulsions, that I couldn't move or think for hours. Functional retardation. I went to bed each night with false optimism that my body would take care of itself but sure enough I'd wake up in an infinite fog. Fear of being outcast from my job and what remaining relationships I had kept me going.

Imagine doing that for 7 years.

Okay, onto the meat of the matter:

"Notably, LPS itself was not detected in the mice’s brains. This suggests that inflammation within the brain is driven by downstream inflammatory signaling, not by the inflammatory molecule itself."
Haidut reds and bolds this part (I actually reversed the emphasis above) and when I read it, 10,000 high wattage heat lamps went off in the ol' noggin.

Endotoxin had been in my sights since day one. One of my favorite single paragraphs that Peat wrote:

"Since endotoxemia can produce aerobic glycolysis in an otherwise healthy person (Bundgaard, et al., 2003), a minimally "Warburgian" approach--i.e,, a merely reasonable approach--would involve minimizing the absorption of endotoxin. Inhibiting bacterial growth, while optimizing intestinal resistance, would have no harmful side effects. Preventing excessive sympathetic nervous activity and maintaining the intestine's energy production can be achieved by optimizing hormones and nutrition. Something as simple as a grated carrot with salt and vinegar can produce major changes in bowel health, reducing endotoxin absorption, and restoring constructive hormonal functions."

Lactate vs. CO2 in wounds, sickness, and aging; the other approach to cancer

In classic Ray fashion, endotoxemia isn't limited to the LPS molecule alone and can easily refer to the "downstream inflammatory signaling," per the study.

Anyway, I'm back on the In Yer Nose train, dropping virtually anything else that could be considered a pharmacological intervention, and seeing if the symptoms I've been living with can be addressed by reducing the inflammation in my sinuses via a highly-diluted Energin nose spray, about 1% by volume in saline.

Edit: I have one of the redlightman devices and shining red light into the eyes might have additive effects with the B vitamins. This is in reference to another recent Haidut post: Declining vision from aging can be restored by staring at red light. I'm nearsighted, -1.50 in both eyes so not really that bad at all, I can drive without vision correction, but also totally interested in not having to wear contacts anymore and tired of buying new glasses that scratch up badly in a few months.

Edit #2: Does anyone one know if marijuana has endotoxin-contamination issues? Speaking of contamination, I'm a Juul smoker and saw the report about the fungal contamination:
HARVARD RESEARCHERS FIND MICROBIAL TOXIN IN JUUL PODS: THE TWO MOST CONTAMINATED JUUL FLAVORS WERE EXEMPT BY THE FDA'S NEW BAN.

Irony, meet Absurdity.

Also, I know I'm not doing myself any favors, scolds not welcome here :)

Last edited:

orewashin

Why would putting a non-toxic micronized powder up your nose be dangerous? Unless it's not really micronized...

Arnold Grape

Why would putting a non-toxic micronized powder up your nose be dangerous? Unless it's not really micronized...
Ha., he did not specifically say why, although it is probably sensible from some sort of legal perspective to advise customers not to snort your product in their nose. I cannot believe I actually asked that question and that I did try that, but I have done some questionable things. I don’t really mess with preg anymore. It’s too weird/ tainted.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals