Random musings: magnesium, supplementing, the Peat way, and maybe more.

I don't bother with raw milk, I think "grass fed" is fine. I like Zeal Creamery, but it is not always in the Sprouts I get my milk from. Their chocolate milk is really great.
I cannot drink grass-fed whole pasteurized milk, mostly because of the taste, texture and heaviness of it. I drink raw, because it feels so light and tastes refreshing. If I did have to drink pasteurized it would have to be low-fat or skim milk. I am now skimming the cream off the top of my raw milk and using it in my coffee, so my raw milk is low in fat now!

TucsonJJ

“Soybean oil festival”, that’s funny! None of that even sounds good, lite mayonnaise?! If I am going to eat mayonnaise it is gonna be Best Foods on a bowl of steamed and buttered Brussels sprouts, or I would make a batch of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing (the buttermilk recipe one) and put it on cold iceberg lettuce and top it with crushed saltines, my own creation by the way, so good! I don’t partake though because I like my FLAT STOMACH 😝
But but but... Best Foods mayo's primary ingredient is PUFA, yes? The HORROR!!!
But yes, superb on brussels sprouts... and on many other things... jeeze!
Hidden valley is made with... mayo, yes? Could you make it with olive oil or coconut oil... or is that even worth the bother?
You don't panic over PUFA?

TucsonJJ

I cannot drink grass-fed whole pasteurized milk, mostly because of the taste, texture and heaviness of it. I drink raw, because it feels so light and tastes refreshing. If I did have to drink pasteurized it would have to be low-fat or skim milk. I am now skimming the cream off the top of my raw milk and using it in my coffee, so my raw milk is low in fat now!
I try raw milk again... maybe I got a bad brand. I get low fat if I buy Sprouts Organic milk, but enjoy Zeal Creamery whole milk, regular and chocolate... I don't drink as much as a lot of Peaters do... I drink a lot of Silk coconut milk and a fair amount of OJ... I found lime flavored seltzer is great too... I am tempted to put in a shot of good white tequila sometimes too... WHY NOT?!!?!? 🙃

I try raw milk again... maybe I got a bad brand. I get low fat if I buy Sprouts Organic milk, but enjoy Zeal Creamery whole milk, regular and chocolate... I don't drink as much as a lot of Peaters do... I drink a lot of Silk coconut milk and a fair amount of OJ... I found lime flavored seltzer is great too... I am tempted to put in a shot of good white tequila sometimes too... WHY NOT?!!?!? 🙃
Raw milk is alive with enzymes, pasturizing kills them, and then the decaying process begins. It is with the extra for raw if you are lucky to be able to get it. As for the tequila, why not?!!?! 🥳

TucsonJJ

Raw milk is alive with enzymes, pasturizing kills them, and then the decaying process begins. It is with the extra for raw if you are lucky to be able to get it. As for the tequila, why not?!!?! 🥳
I thought I read Peat or Dinkov said pasteurized milk was fine, if grass-fed... either way, I'll try it again...

Hey, you have been here for a long time, yes? I am looking for a handy list, maybe you can lead me to one:

Cortisol blockers/reducers (Aspirin... and ??)
Estrogen inhibitors (Aspirin, K2, Vit E...)
Lypolosis (SP?) inhibitors
Natural Antidepressants
Endotoxin destroyers (Activated charcoal, coconut oil, cellulose fiber... ??)
Belly fat reducers

I like your thinking on tequila!! I held off for years, as I was taking supps that may not agree with booze... methylene blue is also one, but I will take a break from that as it doesn't seem to be of much benefit and I don't want to increase dosage).. I doubt enclomiphene is bothered by a drink or two... ditto mag, potassium,,, calcium... a little zinc...

Cow

I can only get local raw milk. It is not organic and who knows what they feed the cows, but I live in Phoenix, so it isn't grass. I buy the Strauss cuz it is pastured, organic and not homogenized, but it is lower heat pasturized. Any thoughts on what would be the best option between the two?

PS. My new year's resolution was to do a year without any supplements! Almost 100% of the time they make me feel worse than I did before, but I just kept plugging away at them for some reason. 😱 🤣

I thought I read Peat or Dinkov said pasteurized milk was fine, if grass-fed... either way, I'll try it again...
Pasteurized is fine, I think raw is superior though, just from my experience and from what I have read. My son won’t drink regular milk either, because he has drank raw for so many years. Like me he thinks it tastes weird too.
Hey, you have been here for a long time, yes? I am looking for a handy list, maybe you can lead me to one:

Cortisol blockers/reducers (Aspirin... and ??)
Estrogen inhibitors (Aspirin, K2, Vit E...)
Lypolosis (SP?) inhibitors
Natural Antidepressants
Endotoxin destroyers (Activated charcoal, coconut oil, cellulose fiber... ??)
Belly fat reducers
I don’t supplement anything. I do have a couple of popular threads on weight loss. My weight doesn’t fluctuate anymore. I linked them below for you.
I like your thinking on tequila!! I held off for years, as I was taking supps that may not agree with booze... methylene blue is also one, but I will take a break from that as it doesn't seem to be of much benefit and I don't want to increase dosage).. I doubt enclomiphene is bothered by a drink or two... ditto mag, potassium,,, calcium... a little zinc...
I save so much money not buying supplements this past 2+ years!

I can only get local raw milk. It is not organic and who knows what they feed the cows, but I live in Phoenix, so it isn't grass. I buy the Strauss cuz it is pastured, organic and not homogenized, but it is lower heat pasturized. Any thoughts on what would be the best option between the two?

🤣
I would go for the low heat pasteurized grass-fed one before I would drink grain-fed milk.

TucsonJJ

Pasteurized is fine, I think raw is superior though, just from my experience and from what I have read. My son won’t drink regular milk either, because he has drank raw for so many years. Like me he thinks it tastes weird too.

I don’t supplement anything. I do have a couple of popular threads on weight loss. My weight doesn’t fluctuate anymore. I linked them below for you.

I save so much money not buying supplements this past 2+ years!

Thank you, I will look them all over... and yes, stopping almost all supps is a good idea...
But... How about aspirin? K2? D3? Those seem almost essential... no?
I have Leiden V and have had a nasty DVT, so I won't stop the lumbrokinase and either aspirin OR serrapeptase... I alternate them as booth are blood thinners and I don't want too much of that...
I still wear a 36... but sure would like to lose the 10-15lbs of my "baby bump"!!

Thank you, I will look them all over... and yes, stopping almost all supps is a good idea...
But... How about aspirin? K2? D3? Those seem almost essential... no?
I have Leiden V and have had a nasty DVT, so I won't stop the lumbrokinase and either aspirin OR serrapeptase... I alternate them as booth are blood thinners and I don't want too much of that...
I still wear a 36... but sure would like to lose the 10-15lbs of my "baby bump"!!
I do not think that vitamin D or K2 is essential. Egg yolks, liver, broccoli, boiled greens would do the trick. I do like nettle leaf for blood clotting when I need it. I don’t take a daily aspirin either because my blood is already thin being an “O” blood type. What is a “DVT”? Here is a couple of things, below,on vitamin D I posted in my supplements thread recently….

“During the winter for a couple of months 10,000 units of D should be safe, but it's better to increase calcium and vitamin K, keeping the vitamin D a little lower unless you have the blood level checked occasionally.” -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

“Vitamin D plays an important role in calcium and phosphorus absorption, making it essential for the maintenance of healthy bones and teeth. More than just the 'sunshine vitamin’, it also contributes to maintaining regular muscle function and supporting your immune system.

Now, egg yolks are one of the few foods that contain naturally high amounts of vitamin D, with a serving of two eggs providing 82% of your recommended daily intake.”

“A 3.5-ounce (100 gram) serving of oysters also contains the following daily values:

• Vitamin D: 80% of the Recommended Daily Intake (RDI)“
“In these nursing home veterans, vitamin D supplement users were the most frail but with high 25 (OH) D.”

Leave sliced mushrooms out in the sun because they absorb vitamin D from the sun. I left mine out for two days and boy were they ever yummy!
1706148588053.jpeg

1706148632489.jpeg

@TucsonJJ

“Gouda cheese has various health benefits as it contains various nutrients. For example, Gouda cheese has calcium that helps maintain and build good bone and teeth health. Calcium also helps in lowering cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and blood pressure. In addition, Gouda cheese helps prevent blood clots due to the presence of vitamin K. It also contains high-quality protein and amino acids in reasonable amounts, which are responsible for the structure and function of tissues and organs.”

TucsonJJ

@TucsonJJ

“Gouda cheese has various health benefits as it contains various nutrients. For example, Gouda cheese has calcium that helps maintain and build good bone and teeth health. Calcium also helps in lowering cancer, cardiovascular diseases, and blood pressure. In addition, Gouda cheese helps prevent blood clots due to the presence of vitamin K. It also contains high-quality protein and amino acids in reasonable amounts, which are responsible for the structure and function of tissues and organs.”

Sounds great and I like Gouda...
However, I think I read that vitamin K, at least K1... enhances clotting factors, it does not prevent them... I think K2 is the way to go, I don't do well with K2 Mk7, so I take the Mk4 version and so fine... with my daily aspirin intake, I think they balance, and my use of lumbrokinase hopefully prevents any clotting activity... more important is that K2, with D3, is great for moving calcium out of where it should not be (arteries, as calcium plaques) and puts it where it should be (bones)... so it reduces atherosclerosis... I think I read that niacin is helpful in this too... inflammation is, of course, the main cause of clotting in the veins and arteries...

Since I am taking a fair amount of mag... I know I need calcium to dance with it... I was on the sidelines for a bit, watching this interesting video...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icfBXeQSsq8

TucsonJJ

I think most people that WE would respect think the RDA for D3 is WAY too low... most recommend 1000-2000iu daily, some 5000iu... IF you do not get any sun exposure.

My last D level blood work was 57 I think... sufficient, but I would not mind if it went up some... maybe to 70ish...

G'night, see ya tomorrow

OP
Mossy

Mossy

I don’t know that I think getting the exact amount of vitamins is the key to living a healthy and long life. I think it is about the foods we eat in relation to the fats we store, our activity level and the amount of toxins we surround ourselves with that is more important, and sleep.
I can't disagree with any of this, in a general sense. A common and simple approach to all we do would seem to be best: nutrients from food, healthy fats relative to our activity and metabolism, limited stress, and proper sleep. Good habits and discipline. The challenge is when things get out of balance, how does one counter that? As this form can attest, it's not easy at all. For many have to deal with prolonged and unavoidable stresses in life, which inevitably takes a toll. That's when supplementation would seem to be legitimate, along with all the good habits mentioned.

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Potatoes bloat me a little, but I can bear it... I do better with real sourdough bread Rustik Oven is xlnt.
I don't bother with raw milk, I think "grass fed" is fine. I like Zeal Creamery, but it is not always in the Sprouts I get my milk from. Their chocolate milk is really great.
You're lucky. I've tried, I can't deal with potatoes. Sometimes I can't resist and I'll just eat them, but then I have trouble to deal with.

Sourdough is my favorite bread, and I tend to be okay with it. In general, I'm able to eat more bread these days than in the last 7 years.

I will shop Sprouts sometimes, so I'll look for Zeal Creamery. I do prefer raw though, for the potential boost in nutrients. Peat's thought that milk is as near to perfect of a food seems to suggest raw would be the best version of that.

Chocolate milk is great, but I find it hard to find a brand without a considerable amount of additives. Maybe Sprout's doesn't have that; I'll look for that next time as well. But mixing cocoa powder in raw milk, with sugar, vanilla, and maybe some spices, is hard to beat, quality wise; though, a pain to deal with (the powder takes quite a bit of finessing to get it to blend).

Last edited:
OP
Mossy

Mossy

inflammation is, of course, the main cause of clotting in the veins and arteries...
I've just read about a supplement, rutin, for this very thing. There is some talk on the forum about it, but not a lot. I stumbled upon it looking for vitamin c supplements and I saw that some have it added, along with bioflavonoids. Though, some reviewers have noted palpitations, and allergic reactions. Someone on this forum has noted Peat warned of allergies from it. But, others on this forum have claimed success with it. Knowing me, I'd have trouble with it.

I'm also attempting to find remedies for my dad's edema, which is becoming more chronic in his very old age. If anyone has any success stories.

Last edited:
I can't disagree with any of this, in a general sense. A common and simple approach to all we do would seem to be best: nutrients from food, healthy fats relative to our activity and metabolism, limited stress, and proper sleep. Good habits and discipline. The challenge is when things get out of balance, how does one counter that? As this form can attest, it's not easy at all. For many have to deal with prolonged and unavoidable stresses in life, which inevitably takes a toll. That's when supplementation would seem to be legitimate, along with all the good habits mentioned.
I don’t understand why when someone thinks they are lacking a vitamin why they don’t look up which foods are high in those vitamins and eat more of them for awhile. The thing about vitamins is that they need a natural balance of others to be able to use them properly. It is like the body being thirsty and you give it a big drink of water and then after it is quenched you keep making it drink more and more and more, when it is not thirsty. If I were to supplement, I would at the very least do it every other day or twice a week or something like that, like Ray Peat suggesting 3-ounces of liver a week for copper, or shrimp once a week for zinc. Most people feel good taking a supplement and think that that is going to be the case repeating it every day, and then when they don’t feel so good they search for a mysterious answer as to what the problem might be. I read a study the other day that too much vitamin D made the subjects bones more brittle than they would otherwise be taking none at all. Too much is just as bad as too little. People just need to choose their foods wiser, with color to them, and let their bodies do what they were designed to do with it.

"When a person uses a drug, there is generally an awareness that the benefit has to be weighed against the side effects. But if something is treated as a “nutrient,” especially an “essential nutrient,” there is an implication that it won't produce undesirable side effects." -Ray Peat

“Taking too much of Vitamin C can lead to iron overload in the body, which can cause damage to liver, heart, pancreas, thyroid and central nervous system.”

“Chronically high intakes of selenium can lead to health problems, ranging from muscle tremors, hair loss, stomach upset, and lightheadedness, to more severe outcomes of heart attack, respiratory distress, or kidney failure.

“Taking zinc orally, 5 or 10 mg, can replenish the body's stores in a few days, but the supplement can oxidize other nutrients in the stomach or intestine, so it isn't good to use it for a long time.” -Ray Peat e-mail exchange

“In these nursing home veterans, vitamin D supplement users were the most frail but with high 25 (OH) D. This can potentially be a cause of U-shaped associations between vitamin D levels and negative health outcomes.”

“The growth and metastasis of a variety of tumors are inhibited by saturated fatty acids, and increased by fish oil--as much as 10 times in number of metastases, 1000 times in size (Griffini, et al., 1998).” -Ray Peat

I've just read about a supplement, rutin, for this very thing. There is some talk on the forum about it, but not a lot. I stumbled upon it looking for vitamin c supplements and I saw that some have it added, along with bioflavonoids. Though, some reviewers have noted palpitations, and allergic reactions. Someone on this forum has noted Peat warned of allergies from it. But, others on this forum have claimed success with it. Knowing me, I'd have trouble with it.

Some vitamins are good at putting wanted or unwanted weight on people too…

“A vitamin that has the ability to slow down your metabolism, vitamin C can help you gain weight. It's a necessary vitamin to help protect your body, but also to help you gain some weight. While you can gain some weight from the slower metabolism, vitamin C can also help keep you from overeating.”

“Since the late 1930s, when synthetic vitamins were first used, the human being has experienced the largest growth in vitamin intake in human history. It is possible that excess vitamins, especially B vitamins, may contribute to the development of obesity. Vitamin-rich formulas and food fortification with vitamins may, to a large extent, be responsible for the increased prevalence of obesity over the past several decades. Different fortification policies and standards may account for the differences in the prevalence between countries, while disparities in the consumption of fortified foods may contribute to the disparities in obesity between population groups within a country. Staple food fortification may be of great harm because it leads to a sustained high vitamin intake. Therefore, given that there has been a significant increase in vitamin supply from natural sources, it is necessary and urgent to review and modify the standards of vitamin fortification.”

OP
Mossy

Mossy

Some vitamins are good at putting wanted or unwanted weight on people too…

“A vitamin that has the ability to slow down your metabolism, vitamin C can help you gain weight. It's a necessary vitamin to help protect your body, but also to help you gain some weight. While you can gain some weight from the slower metabolism, vitamin C can also help keep you from overeating.”
It's hard to interpret the benefits, based on that quote: it notes both "gain weight" and "keep you from overeating". Is that a benefit?

It's hard to interpret the benefits, based on that quote: it notes both "gain weight" and "keep you from overeating". Is that a benefit?
It says it keeps you from overeating because vitamin C supplements slows your metabolism.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals