Magnesium Chloride And Magnesium Sulfate: A Comparison

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

I am not sure I fully understand the take home message of this study. Could anyone explain it further?
I should've included this:
"Among numerous magnesium salts, MgCl2 and MgSO4 are the ones most commonly used in magnesium therapy. Curiously, the most widely used preparations are those containing magnesium sulphate. However, among the soluble salts of magnesium, this salt has the least advantageous pharmacological properties. Its absorption, cellular penetration, membrane effects and anti-hypoxic effects are poor[1-3]. Comparative studies between MgCl2 and MgSO4 indicate classically a better absorption for MgCl2 than for MgSO4[4-8] and a better retention for MgCl2[3,9,10]. Moreover, sulphate infusion leads to a considerable increase in the urinary excretion of magnesium[11], calcium and potassium [12,13]."

The take home message is that MgSO4 causes edema. :ss

whit

I should've included this:
"Among numerous magnesium salts, MgCl2 and MgSO4 are the ones most commonly used in magnesium therapy. Curiously, the most widely used preparations are those containing magnesium sulphate. However, among the soluble salts of magnesium, this salt has the least advantageous pharmacological properties. Its absorption, cellular penetration, membrane effects and anti-hypoxic effects are poor[1-3]. Comparative studies between MgCl2 and MgSO4 indicate classically a better absorption for MgCl2 than for MgSO4[4-8] and a better retention for MgCl2[3,9,10]. Moreover, sulphate infusion leads to a considerable increase in the urinary excretion of magnesium[11], calcium and potassium [12,13]."

The take home message is that MgSO4 causes edema. :ss

Good sumup. :D
The only issue I've got with MgCl is the cost.

Ahanu

The only issue I've got with MgCl is the cost.
what do you mean? it is one of the cheapest supplement I know.
edit: ah sorry, you mean for transdermal

What’s easier, lab grade magnesium or finding shellfish that isn’t from Fukushima or the Great Plastic Maelstrom :emoji_thinking:

tara

If you asked me: why Ray doesn't recommend purified sodium chloride then, instead of salt? I would not know what to reply.
Isn't the pickling salts he recommends purified sodium chloride? If not, what is it?

whit

what do you mean? it is one of the cheapest supplement I know.
edit: ah sorry, you mean for transdermal

Unless the tubdrain goes out into the garden plaza; much is lost.
We buy in bulk but still use mostly internally or spray on after bathing.

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

- Permanent death tutorial
- https://www.researchgate.net/public...ium_chloride_induced_acidosis_in_malnutrition

These are not much of a direct concern because the body will normalize the excesses very fast. The information on hypermagnesemia/chloremia is scarce, which makes it difficult to know what chronic use of topical magnesium chloride can do when it comes to trace minerals, but on the other hand reinforces that they are safe. Sodium bicarbonate along with it is probably a good thing though.

milk_lover

@Amazoniac sorry for bothering you with yet another question about your field, magnesium. Do you think topical magnesium chloride the best route and type of magnesium?

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

@Amazoniac sorry for bothering you with yet another question about your field, magnesium. Do you think topical magnesium chloride the best route and type of magnesium?
With the caveat that I have many more questions than answers, right now I would probably opt for occasional foot bath of magnesium chloride for a long time, such as 30 min or more. Even Carolyn Dean acknowledges that it takes such time for a considerable absorption.
Things that I don't know yet:
- If there's a specific dosage that maximizes absorption, rather than going full-blown savage and saturating the thing
- If the chloride is absorbed faster than the magnesium (as it happens with epsom salts), and so if the water is soapy, there will be a buttload of chloride inside the body before magnesium start to be absorbed
- If the skin adapts to an excess by becoming less permeable owa time (which is another aspect about doing it in a sporadic way)
- If fluoride is absorbed and therefore care must be taken with the water used
- And, like I mentioned, how it affects trace minerals once in the body (most of research is evaluating competition during absorption, etc)

But in any case, using a pedicure tub helps you minimize wasting.
And a convenient way of doing it is during the last meal of the day, which is the time that almost everyone is home. It's going to be absorbed along with many synergistic nutrients, avoiding any strange peaks in the body.

Last edited:

milk_lover

With the caveat that I have many more questions than answers, right now I would probably opt for occasional foot baths of magnesium chloride for a long time, such as 30 min or more. Even Carolyn Dean acknowledges that it takes such time for a considerable absorption.
Things that I don't know yet:
- If there's a specific dosage that maximizes absorption, rather than going full-blown savage and saturating the thing
- If the chloride is absorbed faster than the magnesium (as it happens with epsom salts), and so if the water is soapy, there will be a buttload of chloride inside the body before magnesium start to be absorbed
- If the skin adapts to an excess by becoming less permeable owa time (which is another aspect about doing it in a sporadic way)
- If fluoride is absorbed and therefore care must be taken with the water used
- And, like I mentioned, how it affects trace minerals once in the body (most of research is evaluating competition during absorption, etc)

But in any case, using a pedicure tub helps you minimize wasting.
And a convenient way of doing it is during the last meal of the day, which is the time that almost everyone is home. It's going to be absorbed along with many synergistic nutrients, avoiding any strange peaks in the body.
Thanks!

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

Magnesium Deficiency, A Brief Review
"In other experiments using excised human skin, we found that sulfate does penetrate across the skin barrier. This is quite rapid so probably involves a sulfate transporter protein. We did not see any Mg penetration, but these experiments were conducted for a short time at only 37 degrees as opposed to the 50 degree bath temperature. To check this, 2 volunteers wore 'patches' where solid MgSO4 was applied directly to the skin and sealed with a waterproof plaster. Plasma/urine analysis confirmed that both Mg and sulfate levels had increased so this is potentially a valuable way of ensuring Epsom salts dosage if bathing is not available. Interestingly, both volunteers, who were > 60 years old, commented without prompting that 'rheumatic' pains had disappeared."

So for a brief immersion, by the time you start absorbing magnesium, maybe you already absorbed an excess of sulfate, which is a nicht, nicht.
"Copper exerts its antagonistic effect on molybdenum only in the presence of adequate dietary sulfate [24]."

"Inhibition of molybdenum toxicity by sulfate could be explained by mass displacement of molybdate by sulfate, both being hexavalent and both belonging to the same periodic group. There is no other hexavalent ion in the body present in sufficient quantities to displace molybdate."

"The relationship of sulfate intake to molybdenum content of liver and total body of sheep is illustrated by the work of **** quoted by Underwood [14]. When the ratio of the intakes of molybdenum to sulfate was altered from the normal of 1: 3000 to 1: 21,000, molybdenum content of liver was decreased to 30.3 per cent of the initial value, and of the whole body to 18.2 per cent. When the ratio was altered from a high intake of molybdenum of 1: 47 to 1: 300, liver content declined to 33.3 per cent and whole body to 9.4 per cent. By increasing sulfate intake seven times, tissue molybdenum was depressed by factors of 5.5 and 10.6."

OP
Amazoniac

Amazoniac

From what I calculated and hydration aside,
- Magnesium chloride is 75% chloride
- Magnesium sulfate is 80% sulfate
In this sense, both can be considered chloride and sulfate supplements with magnesium almost as a bonus. Especially because the average absorption of magnesium is 35% whereas chloride is nearly complete; and in the case of sulfate, it's not an electro of the lytes, so the needs are much less.

Pierre Delbet used magnesium chloride both orally and injected with good results. If he had success with oral route as well, it's quite possible that the major benefit in this story came through chloride and its role in immunity. I know the body enhances absorption when a nutrient is needed, but no matter how much of magnesium's absorption is enhanced, it doesn't come nowhere near close the chloride boost.

Last edited:

Repas du soir

What are you guys doing currently to meet your magnesium needs? I haven't tried any foot baths or oils, I'm just trying to eat more potatoes and get enough sodium.

johnsmith

Does spray on Magnesium Chloride work? Recently I heard someone say it doesn't, and I've heard others say it hardly works at all.

Last edited:

yerrag

I would ask you to replicate my experience. 5 months of 4800mg daily of MgCl2: Excessive urination. Lost sleep due to it. Lowered metabolism. Lowered immunity- had persistent cough for 2 months. Got back my sensitivity to pollen and MSG.

Take other forms of magnesium that don't have inorganic cations. These actions are an acidic load, especially at therapeutic doses like the one I took, especially when taken for a long period.

I now am taking magnesium bicarbonate, making my own from soda water with magnesium hydroxide. Will be making my own soda water next week.

I was just reading a book by Carolyn Dean and she says that taking magnesium would lower blood pressure. I'm not so sure that statement applies to all forms of magnesium. With magnesium chloride, it lowered my blood pressure. With magnesium bicarbonate, it increased my blood pressure. I cannot explain why.

Last edited:

burtlancast

I would ask you to replicate my experience. 5 months of 4800mg daily of MgCl2: Excessive urination. Lost sleep due to it. Lowered metabolism. Lowered immunity- had persistent cough for 2 months.

I've taken magnesium chloride 3 grams daily since last july: result is i was the only one who didn't catch a cold around me: there were 3-4 instances where i felt my nose or throat were starting to itch, but additional cloves of garlic took care of it without fail.

It's a devastating combination for the germs: the MgCl increases the activity of white blood cells and the Garlic has direct anti-germs effect. I didn't even need to add iodine, methylene blue, vit C or MMS.

First time i could remember staying healthy from colds during the winter months.

So your lowered immunity isn't related to the magnesium chloride.

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals