Calling all DIY Cosmetic Connoisseurs....

Dutchie

Hi all,

Is xanthan gum usage in cosmetics bad?
I know it's no bueno , in regards of eating, for the gut, but what about when applied to the skin?

I'd been looking into making a cream/lotion or whatever of epsom salt (with possible added magnesium flakes, potassium bicarbonate and maybe a pinch of borax for keeping the Magnesium inside the cell).
I know you can easily make a spray out of them, but a spreadable form would be easier to take with me and apply at various moments throughout the day.

The lotion recipes I'd found call for several extra ingredients I'd have to buy, which I normally wouldn't use (sheabutter, beeswax and a couple others).
I also didn't find a clean basic lotion to buy for just mixing in the Magnesium solution.

I found a recipe that looks easy to make (lol...my only experience is making a basic tallow balm) and only calls for 3 ingredients (2 which I standardly have): magn/epsom salts, distilled water and a level tsp of xantham gum to make a spreadable gel out of it.
Would this be a bad/toxic idea?...or do you have another idea?

I'd been looking into a gel/lotion so I can experiment with keeping a steady supply going transdermally of magnesium, sulfate (and I'm thinking I also need to add potassium), so that I hopefully can completely get rid of my walking issues/pain. (it's only 3 more weeks until the festival I have tickets to :/)

Thanks!

Steed

The simple answer is dont worry about xantum gum in cosmetics. Use is minimal and I cannot imagine it goes anywhere except the stratus corneum.

OP
D

Dutchie

@Steed Thanks :) , I was/am mainly worried for it being a toxic burden as I have enough of accumulated toxins.

Bluebell

Hi Dutchie, for me personally I don't like xanthan gum even in topical products, it causes a skin reaction for me. It's actually chemically the same as the slime cabbages produce when they rot, nice hey? In foods I react badly to it.
You could make that recipe without the xanthan gum at all - just water and minerals - it would be liquidy but you could still spray it on and rub it in OK.

OP
D

Dutchie

Hi Dutchie, for me personally I don't like xanthan gum even in topical products, it causes a skin reaction for me. It's actually chemically the same as the slime cabbages produce when they rot, nice hey? In foods I react badly to it.
You could make that recipe without the xanthan gum at all - just water and minerals - it would be liquidy but you could still spray it on and rub it in OK.

Lovely....who wouldn't want to slather slime all over their body😉
Thanks, I have those 'mineral oil' sprays. I spray it on before I go to bed, but I wanted a gel or lotion so I can easily take it with me in a small jar wherever I go.
Having to take a spray bottle and being able to spray everywhere is kind of a hassle.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals