I think I may have finally fixed my digestion

SamYo123

I wouldn't eat any other kind of bread than sourdough. But even the most nutritious bread, sourdough, has potentially problematic amounts of resistant starch that is not helpful with IBS and increases bloating. Feeding the microbes produces SCFA, lowering pH that may prevent bacterial overgrowth, but does not change the microbiome composition much. Although the wheatbran is good fiber, the additional resistant starches only slightly shortened transit times, thus is not as effective in preventing colon cancer as just using the wheat bran by itself. A plus is that the degraded phytates make the minerals available and the degraded gluten prevent further inflammation in the case of leaky gut and IBS.

I think the poo nuggets indicate that your guts transit rate is not yet fast enough. What works better for me is to first process the milk by cooking it and adding it to mashed potatoes, it changes some of the milks protein structures I guess that makes it more tolerable and produces less mucus in my airways. This is especially true for A1 milk. But A2 milk or goat milk gives me less problems, just like greek yoghurt and cheese.

Adding cooked wheatbran to greek yogurt seems to me the best way to increase gut transit rate. And is not so annoying as eating carrot between meals.

I know it has iron but would that pass for the time being?

Bread doesnt bloat me

PeskyPeater

SamYo123

no..
list of the ingredients:
Whole grain wheat (53%), wheat bran (35%), sugar, barley malt extract, salt, minerals (iron, zinc oxide), vitamins (niacin, vitamin B6, riboflavin, folate).

It's not pure bran, that;s what you want

good for you!

PeskyPeater

How do you personally consume it?
1-2 tbs of bran in a big cup with a little layer of water, microwave it for a minute.
stir in 2 tbs of sugar with cinnamon, add to a small cup of greek yogurt and mix it. Finish off with a swirl of honey. some salt to taste

PeskyPeater

i just took a poo but it was poo nuggets.. no bulk... This is what happens when i drink milk

this was with carrot salad, and no oat bran...

I have been eating bread though (wheat)
"A previous review described the health benefits of dietary fiber based on reproducible evidence of clinical efficacy [25]. In the large bowel, there are two mechanisms that exert a laxative effect. Large/coarse insoluble fiber particles (e.g., wheat bran) mechanically irritate the gut mucosa, stimulating the secretion of water and mucous, and the high water-holding capacity of gel-forming soluble fiber (e.g., psyllium) resists dehydration. This mechanism requires that the fiber resist fermentation and remain relatively intact throughout the large bowel (the fiber must be present in stool); this mechanism leads to an increase in the water content of the stool, thereby resulting in a bulky/soft/easy-to-pass stool. "
source

SamYo123

1-2 tbs of bran in a big cup with a little layer of water, microwave it for a minute.
stir in 2 tbs of sugar with cinnamon, add to a small cup of greek yogurt and mix it. Finish off with a swirl of honey. some salt to taste
Dont own a microwave, ill boil it...

SamYo123

I wouldn't eat any other kind of bread than sourdough. But even the most nutritious bread, sourdough, has potentially problematic amounts of resistant starch that is not helpful with IBS and increases bloating. Feeding the microbes produces SCFA, lowering pH that may prevent bacterial overgrowth, but does not change the microbiome composition much. Although the wheatbran is good fiber, the additional resistant starches only slightly shortened transit times, thus is not as effective in preventing colon cancer as just using the wheat bran by itself. A plus is that the degraded phytates make the minerals available and the degraded gluten prevent further inflammation in the case of leaky gut and IBS.

I think the poo nuggets indicate that your guts transit rate is not yet fast enough. What works better for me is to first process the milk by cooking it and adding it to mashed potatoes, it changes some of the milks protein structures I guess that makes it more tolerable and produces less mucus in my airways. This is especially true for A1 milk. But A2 milk or goat milk gives me less problems, just like greek yoghurt and cheese.

Adding cooked wheatbran to greek yogurt seems to me the best way to increase gut transit rate. And is not so annoying as eating carrot between meals.
Wheatbran makes my face skin bad

So it seems all starches, diary and OJ

Last edited:
OP
D

dogtrainer

One year of solid improvements after curing myself of a 4 year bloating catastrophe!

Sorry y’all; I forgot to update this thing because I was enjoying my holidays. I didn’t get to eat thanksgiving or Christmas dinners last year so I had to make up for lost time!

Basically, after a year of rebuilding/curing/healing/getting back to normal, I still feel pretty damn good. It amazes me how much more I’m able to do now that my food intake is up. All of my labs for thyroid/vit d looked so much better this summer. My thyroid was up in the middle range without any changes to medication. This proves for me, that medication alone will not bump your thyroid numbers. You have to actually eat food.

Basically, no my digestion is not 100% perfect every day. I still experience slow days, occasional bloating, excessive gas after certain foods. But if I have a bad day j can always use certain tools to bring back normalcy. The bad days are a result of breaking one of the rules below many days in a row.

I MUST:

1. Get enough potassium. 4700mg a day is ideal, if I slack on this I suffer slower digestion. Magnesium seems less critical for me than potassium.

2. Have cultured dairy Foods most days. I am making a plain old Bulgarian style yogurt these days. I sprinkle either D Lactate Free Probiotic or 4 Strain Bifido on top and mix it in. I use regular, non organic, UHT milk from the store. this is cheaper than using expensive probiotics. They are about $200 a jar. After I get done with my 2 jars of expensive probiotic I am thinking of seeing if I can get away with plain yogurt as a gut maintenance strategy.

3. Take thyroid. 25mcg T3 and 75mcg T4

4. Eat a lot of vegetables/fruits/fiber. I can’t do a fiberless diet, it doesn’t feel good for me at all. I still take PHGG, and occasionally psyllium husk for fiber.

5. Not undereat. If I fall into skipping meals because I’m busy, especially if I have also been skipping yogurt, skipping potassium, forgetting thyroid, etc I will spiral into somewhat of a “hibernation” mode where I lose my appetite and the familiar gross SLUGGISH feelings and processes start to come back. I think Ray is right about this being a serotonin mediated process. I think because my body has once adopted it as a coping skill, it remembers the adaptation and relies on it.

My theory about the whole thing is this:after a life time of undereating, poor childhood diet, and probably undiagnosed hypothyroidism, i developed an overgrowth of unspecified origin that led to a severely decreased functioning of my digestive organs as a whole. I believe the bloating and the inflammation affected each other in a bi directional fashion, therefore treating just one or the other did not work. I had to simultaneously do things to ameliorate inflammation, while also addressing dysbiosis and things like minerals, vitamin d, etc. at the peak of my illness my Vitamin D level was 18. It was 50, 8 months later in the summer. That was 8 months of supplementing 10,000iu per day and going outside every day. I do think vitamin D has some effect on maintaining a healthy gut.

Something about MSM, slippery elm, undecylenic acid, B1, cultured dairy foods, specific fibers, raising vitamin d, getting enough of the other fat soluble, helped me. I firmly believe that taking cultured dairy foods in sufficient quantity significantly changes the gut microbiome so that the opportunistic pathogens do not overgrow. At least in my case, they had this effect.

Vinny

One year of solid improvements after curing myself of a 4 year bloating catastrophe!

Sorry y’all; I forgot to update this thing because I was enjoying my holidays. I didn’t get to eat thanksgiving or Christmas dinners last year so I had to make up for lost time!

Basically, after a year of rebuilding/curing/healing/getting back to normal, I still feel pretty damn good. It amazes me how much more I’m able to do now that my food intake is up. All of my labs for thyroid/vit d looked so much better this summer. My thyroid was up in the middle range without any changes to medication. This proves for me, that medication alone will not bump your thyroid numbers. You have to actually eat food.

Basically, no my digestion is not 100% perfect every day. I still experience slow days, occasional bloating, excessive gas after certain foods. But if I have a bad day j can always use certain tools to bring back normalcy. The bad days are a result of breaking one of the rules below many days in a row.

I MUST:

1. Get enough potassium. 4700mg a day is ideal, if I slack on this I suffer slower digestion. Magnesium seems less critical for me than potassium.

2. Have cultured dairy Foods most days. I am making a plain old Bulgarian style yogurt these days. I sprinkle either D Lactate Free Probiotic or 4 Strain Bifido on top and mix it in. I use regular, non organic, UHT milk from the store. this is cheaper than using expensive probiotics. They are about $200 a jar. After I get done with my 2 jars of expensive probiotic I am thinking of seeing if I can get away with plain yogurt as a gut maintenance strategy.

4. Eat a lot of vegetables/fruits/fiber. I can’t do a fiberless diet, it doesn’t feel good for me at all. I still take PHGG, and occasionally psyllium husk for fiber.

5. Not undereat. If I fall into skipping meals because I’m busy, especially if I have also been skipping yogurt, skipping potassium, forgetting thyroid, etc I will spiral into somewhat of a “hibernation” mode where I lose my appetite and the familiar gross SLUGGISH feelings and processes start to come back. I think Ray is right about this being a serotonin mediated process. I think because my body has once adopted it as a coping skill, it remembers the adaptation and relies on it.

My theory about the whole thing is this:after a life time of undereating, poor childhood diet, and probably undiagnosed hypothyroidism, i developed an overgrowth of unspecified origin that led to a severely decreased functioning of my digestive organs as a whole. I believe the bloating and the inflammation affected each other in a bi directional fashion, therefore treating just one or the other did not work. I had to simultaneously do things to ameliorate inflammation, while also addressing dysbiosis and things like minerals, vitamin d, etc. at the peak of my illness my Vitamin D level was 18. It was 50, 8 months later in the summer. That was 8 months of supplementing 10,000iu per day and going outside every day. I do think vitamin D has some effect on maintaining a healthy gut.

Something about MSM, slippery elm, undecylenic acid, B1, cultured dairy foods, specific fibers, raising vitamin d, getting enough of the other fat soluble, helped me. I firmly believe that taking cultured dairy foods in sufficient quantity significantly changes the gut microbiome so that the opportunistic pathogens do not overgrow. At least in my case, they had this effect.
I went through the whole thread. Very glad for your success and thank you so much for the regular updates!

HeyThere

This is an interesting connection between staph and candida. As a kid, when I was 6 years old, I was in the hospital for a week with some kind of infection. This so weird, but even to this day, my mom--who was a nurse and worked in that hospital!--didn't remember what it was. My guess is staph. I got it through my arm apparently by repeatedly falling while ice skating (??). I think it completely messed up my guts, although my GI issues did not start until my mid-20s during an abusive relationship. I think that was my initial "Conflict Shock," to use GNM terminology, and even though I have prayed, given forgiveness, let go, blessed the person--the woman--who hurt me all those years ago, my issues still remain to this day. Deep seated stuff, I guess.

Anyway, I ordered Thorne SF722 about 15 minutes ago, and I will get it tomorrow. I also ordered some more Thorne Pepti-Gard, and Solaray Gut Shield Powder with L-Glutamine, Zinc Carnosine and Vitamin C in it. I used it many times in the past for what I think I had was leaky gut, and it helped. My issues have clearly returned, some days, with a vengeance. Can't catch a break. I had a bout of food poisoning last fall, from what, I honestly don't even know, and my bowels have not been the same since, no matter what I eat (carnivore to plant-based and in between. Nothing works). But I will keep trying. Taking massive amounts of cascara, while generally ill-advised, always ends up in a wondeful colonic clearing and I enjoy that for a day or so before the pain, bloat, gas, etc. returns.

Hey, it's me! LOL. I was curious if there was anything at all I could help you with, or suggest, since you are here in this forum after all.

I can relate to far too much of what you're going through. And yes, the less I eat, the better I feel.

I can only suggest things, no worries if it's useless info, might as well throw it out there:

Have you ever looked into Salicylate Sensitivity. I say this because you took aspirin in high doses every day, and you take things very, very high in Salicylates like Oregano Oil, etc etc. Salicylates, like Histamine, are a bucket thing. Accumulation. Poor liver function = Salicylates build up and foods you were ok with all of a sudden give you massive issues. Do you have rashes? Ringing ears? When Salicylate levels are high in the body, your histamine raises to counter act it in some way. For decades I thought I had Histamine Intolerance, but Hist was raised due to the Salicylates that are in almost literally everything as preservatives, not just foods.

cs3000

No. Regular guar gum can actually cause a bloating or blockage due to its extremely high viscosity.

PHGG is guar gum that has been (as the acronym would suggest) partially hydrolyzed. This makes it less viscous and you can take a lot of it without risk of blockage. It didn’t cause bloating for me and usually doesn’t for most people.
PHGG. Not Peaty at all. But it has been a game changer for my slow motility. Look at my post history - you will see how miserable I was. Taking this along with probiotic yogurt that I make myself(and other stuff), has pretty much resolved longstanding constipation/SIBO/perma-bloating of 4 years. I just make yogurt in the instant pot and add a scoop of PHGG. It is supposed to increase Bifido and Lactobacillus, and other helpful species. This should make your colon more hypoxic, lower stool pH and get rid of the aerobic baddies that might've invaded. Frankly I don't care how it works, I'll take it forever if it takes away my bloating and pain.

It increased flatulence the first week but now that is leveling out. Just feel normal, light, eliminate once or twice a day.

cascara helped, sort of but I was still bloated and had a ***t appetite. Magnesium never helped me, not in a real sense. When my stomach was inflamed it wouldn't work properly.
PHGG has been studied specifically for bloating. And it works very well. As I have researched this more I am convinced that SIBO should be reframed as small intestinal dysbiosis. They didn’t just one day start overgrowing in the small intestine for no reason. Not all bacteria can grow all places. Temp, pH, oxygen tension, and motility are the main drivers of what grows where. And what’s already growing there affects what can grow there in a bidirectional fashion.

Appreciate your updates thanks,
came back to this thread & tried PHGG the one i didnt try before

Only 2 things i've added recently are 1-2 heme iron polypeptide caps + 7.5g PHGG empty stomach. i've had bowel function 2 days in a row for the first time in ages

Nice bonus is PHGG helps iron absorption by upregulating ferroportin local to the gut lower down.
and iron deficiency happens often in people with gut issues through all the undereating + bleeding + lowered absorption

(usually absorb most iron higher up but some absorbs lower, increases this)
Partially Hydrolyzed Guar Gum Increases Ferroportin Expression in the Colon of Anemic Growing Rats
1692341802083.png
In the present study, the expression of ferroportin, which transports iron into the plasma, was significantly higher in the cecum in the PHGG than in the control group (p ≤ 0.001), indicating an increase of approximately 368.3%.
during a three-week experiment, the hemoglobin count was higher in the PHGG group than in the cellulose and control groups

The final hemoglobin values in g/dl, for the PHGG group, the cellulose group and the control group were, respectively: 11.3+/-1.2, 8.6+/-0.7 and 8.1 Partially hydrolyzed guar gum increases intestinal absorption of iron in growing rats with iron deficiency anemia - PubMed

The prebiotic effects of soluble dietary fiber mixture on renal anemia and the gut microbiota in end-stage renal disease patients on maintenance hemodialysis: a prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled study
Compared with the control group, (1) the patients in the [10g/d] DF group had higher Hb [117.0 (12.5) g/L vs. 94.0 (14.5) g/L, p < 0.001], Fe2+ [13.23 (4.83) μmol/L vs. 10.26 (5.55) μmol/L, p < 0.001], and SF levels [54.15 (86.66) ng/ml vs. 41.48
Patients in the DF group had elevated serum butyric acid (BA) levels [0.80 (1.65) vs. 0.05 (0.04)

Partially hydrolyzed guar gum enhances colonic epithelial wound healing: Via activation of RhoA and ERK1/2
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ound_healing_Via_activation_of_RhoA_and_ERK12
1692342486051.png

Nice effect on mucin layer (doubled at high dose)
Partially hydrolyzed guar gum increased colonic mucus layer in mice via succinate-mediated MUC2 production
1692342588653.png

will update in a week if i get some consistent effects

Attachments

• 1692341760588.png
    1692341760588.png
    5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1692341765675.png
    1692341765675.png
    5 KB · Views: 6
  • 1692342205402.png
    1692342205402.png
    316.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

pure1instinct

Forum Supporter

I MUST:

I’m curious about your potassium intake. I’m noticing that the more I increase the better i digest.

What form of potassium do you take? And does the 4,700mg all come from supplementation? What’s your magnesium intake?

cs3000

Appreciate your updates thanks,
came back to this thread & tried PHGG the one i didnt try before

Only 2 things i've added recently are 1-2 heme iron polypeptide caps + 7.5g PHGG empty stomach. i've had bowel function 2 days in a row for the first time in ages

will update in a week if i get some consistent effects

stuck to 7.5g phgg for a few weeks, didnt have the heme iron during this. bowel function didnt come back consistently and gut burning isnt better yet. maybe feel a little less bloat discomfort but still bloated. switched to organic einkorn wheat also past few days

but 15g PHGG helps bowel function on the day pretty reliably i think. taking 2 hours after a meal. nice one

I’m curious about your potassium intake. I’m noticing that the more I increase the better i digest.
What form of potassium do you take? And does the 4,700mg all come from supplementation? What’s your magnesium intake?
heads up supplement potassium is a bad idea for gut issues , extra damage builds over weeks / months & hard to reverse (initially caused mine)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals