Magnesium Citrate For Constipation

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Thanks Diane! I just got back from the store and got what I need to make it.

4peatssake

Charlie said:
Thanks Diane! I just got back from the store and got what I need to make it.
Me too, just back from the store. Giving this a go as well. Sounds promising!

haidut

Forum Supporter
So, if follow the formula and make the dosage using 1 litre of club soda, you will get a bottle containing 1 litre of magnesium bicarbonate, with about 1500mg of magnesium inside it. I drank a full bottle at once before going to bed once and that thing knocked me out like anaesthesia. I know RP talks about progesterone and magnesium being sedative in high doses, but using other forms of magnesium I was never able to experience this effect. With the magnesium bicarbonate, drinking 1 litre definitely knocked me out, which suggests that I am absorbing it. So, I reduced my daily dose to 300ml of the liquid, which is about 500mg of elemental magnesium. Even that amount makes me very sleepy, but in a good way.
Another thing - the sleepiness and bowel noise I get from it is very similar to the ones I get from taking 500mg Acetazolamide, which suggests that my CO2 levels are also going up, or at least that it is acting similar to the Acetazolamide. So, maybe a double punch with this one - i.e. we get absorbable magnesium and also raise CO2 levels?

I am waiting to hear more testimonials. This definitely has become of my staple supplements.

HDD

I have been using this for the last 4 days/nights. It has a great relaxing affect but a great amount of stress has prevented me from sleeping well. By day 4, it caused some bowel discomfort, but this also could be attributed to not eating as much due to nerves.

I am going to cut my dosage a little tonight.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I tried it the first night, taking a little over 300ml and got zero relaxed feel. But that night my metabolism was cranking really hard and I was a bit over metabolism of where I should be. It even seemed like the mag carb might have increased my metabolism even more, so that pushed me over the edge making it really hard to go to sleep.

Last night, I decided to try less, and it did seem to relax me a bit. Not much though. So, I am going to keep playing with the dose.

But from what I can see and feel, it actually increases the metabolic rate.

HDD

That's interesting , Charlie. I really thought the magnesium knocked me out the first night. I took it throughout the day and I had even briefly napped. It wasn't so strong the next night which made me wonder if something else had caused the drowsiness.

Do you think the carbonation is increasing metabolism? Temperature and heart rate increased?

IIRC RP recommends a little thyroid supplementation to help sleep.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
I think the carbonation AND the magnesium can increase the metabolism.

Yes, I do take a bit of thyroid at night for sleep purposes. I just have always had the hardest time falling to sleep.

I am gonna keep trying and do hope I get that knock out effect!

HDD

I hear you on falling asleep. I am a hardcore insomniac. Too many years. I have had more sleep in the past year than I have in 10+ years! Yay for Ray Peat!!

leo

Hi. Since I am new I am trying to read all the old posts so as to not bother with questions that have already been covered.

I am intrigued with this home made magnesium. Did it continue to work???

I need mag...am constipated and don't sleep well, altho at least now on Peat I am sleeping better, but I want that knock out feeling at night.

Last post was July.....has anyone continued with it? Improvements?

thnx

4peatssake

leo said:
Hi. Since I am new I am trying to read all the old posts so as to not bother with questions that have already been covered.

I am intrigued with this home made magnesium. Did it continue to work???

I need mag...am constipated and don't sleep well, altho at least now on Peat I am sleeping better, but I want that knock out feeling at night.

Last post was July.....has anyone continued with it? Improvements?

thnx
I did it once. It was, uhm, explosive! ;)

For me, it would be OK when there is an urgent need but I much prefer cascara sagrada. Cascara works very well and feels extremely natural due to its effect in triggering contractions in the colon.

:2cents

jyb

It's interesting that people are talking about cascara and insomnia in the same thread. Being a hardcore insomniac too, I have recently noticed significant results with cascara on sleep (despite not being particularly constipated). I never tried any Mg supplement, other than Mg foot bath (which is quite relaxing but not as powerful in my experience).

livrepensador

haidut said:
post 22594 So, if follow the formula and make the dosage using 1 litre of club soda, you will get a bottle containing 1 litre of magnesium bicarbonate, with about 1500mg of magnesium inside it. I drank a full bottle at once before going to bed once and that thing knocked me out like anaesthesia. I know RP talks about progesterone and magnesium being sedative in high doses, but using other forms of magnesium I was never able to experience this effect. With the magnesium bicarbonate, drinking 1 litre definitely knocked me out, which suggests that I am absorbing it. So, I reduced my daily dose to 300ml of the liquid, which is about 500mg of elemental magnesium. Even that amount makes me very sleepy, but in a good way.
Another thing - the sleepiness and bowel noise I get from it is very similar to the ones I get from taking 500mg Acetazolamide, which suggests that my CO2 levels are also going up, or at least that it is acting similar to the Acetazolamide. So, maybe a double punch with this one - i.e. we get absorbable magnesium and also raise CO2 levels?

I am waiting to hear more testimonials. This definitely has become of my staple supplements.

Haidut, what´s up?
First i want to thank you about your very informative posts!
Second, im really want to try this magnesium bicarbonate supplement. Im too insoniac :roll:
I will ask you a favor: in this topic below i posted a study on magnesium bicarbonate and i have made some questions (im afraid of "non-natural" supplements, i prefer to find it in foods). Could you please give your opinion?

So my question is:
- Do youy guys think it is safe? Why?
- Dis this study has some information for this thread? Whats does it mean?

viewtopic.php?t=2914&start=20

THank you! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

haidut

Forum Supporter
livrepensador said:
post 114481
haidut said:
post 22594 So, if follow the formula and make the dosage using 1 litre of club soda, you will get a bottle containing 1 litre of magnesium bicarbonate, with about 1500mg of magnesium inside it. I drank a full bottle at once before going to bed once and that thing knocked me out like anaesthesia. I know RP talks about progesterone and magnesium being sedative in high doses, but using other forms of magnesium I was never able to experience this effect. With the magnesium bicarbonate, drinking 1 litre definitely knocked me out, which suggests that I am absorbing it. So, I reduced my daily dose to 300ml of the liquid, which is about 500mg of elemental magnesium. Even that amount makes me very sleepy, but in a good way.

Haidut, what´s up?
Second, im really want to try this magnesium bicarbonate supplement. Im too insoniac :roll:
I will ask you a favor: in this topic below i posted a study on magnesium bicarbonate and i have made some questions (im afraid of "non-natural" supplements, i prefer to find it in foods). Could you please give your opinion?

So my question is:

https://www.raypeatforum.com/forum/view ... 4&start=20

Most magnesiums in solution that the guy talks about are magnesium citrate and as such not optimal. Citrate salts are not good for the bone and citrate can have pro-tumor effects as well. I guess he is right that other magnesium solutions would be just as good in terms of bioavailability but they all seem to be citrate salts and thus not good. I have seen magnesium sulfate as a tablet that makes a solution and that is probably good enough provided it is not mixed with some other poison "for taste". The points about magnesium bicarbonate is that it also increases CO2 levels, albeit less potently than sodium bicarbonate. Other magnesium solutions do not do that.
Not sure if that answers your question or not.

livrepensador

haidut said:
haidut said:
post 114545
livrepensador said:
post 114481
haidut said:

Haidut, what´s up?

So my question is:

Most magnesiums in solution that the guy talks about are magnesium citrate and as such not optimal. Citrate salts are not good for the bone and citrate can have pro-tumor effects as well. I guess he is right that other magnesium solutions would be just as good in terms of bioavailability but they all seem to be citrate salts and thus not good. I have seen magnesium sulfate as a tablet that makes a solution and that is probably good enough provided it is not mixed with some other poison "for taste". The points about magnesium bicarbonate is that it also increases CO2 levels, albeit less potently than sodium bicarbonate. Other magnesium solutions do not do that.

Haidut, thanks for the response. :hattip
So, assuming the magnesium bicarbonate is not a citrate, is it safe for long term use as a magnesium source?

I did it this afternoon and i will drink it before bed. Tomorrow i will post the results.

haidut

Forum Supporter
livrepensador said:
post 114587
haidut said:
haidut said:
post 114545
livrepensador said:
post 114481
haidut said:

Haidut, what´s up?

So my question is:

So, assuming the magnesium bicarbonate is not a citrate, is it safe for long term use as a magnesium source?

I did it this afternoon and i will drink it before bed. Tomorrow i will post the results.

It's probably THE safest form of magnesium for long term consumption, assuming the milk of magnesia or magnesium bicarbonate you use to make it do not have any bad additives in them.

livrepensador

haidut said:
post 114591
livrepensador said:
post 114587
haidut said:
haidut said:
post 114545
livrepensador said:
post 114481
haidut said:

Haidut, what´s up?

So my question is:

It's probably THE safest form of magnesium for long term consumption, assuming the milk of magnesia or magnesium bicarbonate you use to make it do not have any bad additives in them.

Thank you so much!
The carbonated water and the milk of magnesia that i buy here seems to be pretty pure.
I feel better now with your opinion..... i need to lose this residual "paleo sense" of food.....

Let´s see what happens to my sleep !

Koveras

Mittir said:
post 16239

Ray Peat did mention in KMUD: Hair loss, Osteoporosis that citric acid increases calcium loss through kidney.
That is why he is against using calcium citrate. In that sense magnesium citrate would do the same.
I remember he mentioned in some interview about toxicity of amino acid in magnesium chelate.
Magnesium citrate is not in amino acid chelate form.

This is interesting as both magnesium and potassium citrate have been shown to reduce calcium loss.

The latter study here is referenced by Ray in one of his articles.

Effects of magnesium citrate and phytin on reducing urinary calcium excretion in rats.

Potassium citrate prevents increased urine calcium excretion and bone resorption induced by a high sodium chloride diet.

sladerunner69

Is calcium carbonate a good form of calcium? easily and fully absorbed? I picked up some magnesium today but i don't think the different forms matter much with those.

sladerunner69

livrepensador said:
post 114481
haidut said:

Haidut, what´s up?

So my question is:

viewtopic.php?t=2914&start=20

Have you tried drinking a liter of coffee before bed? Dark coffee has lots of magnesium plus plenty of caffiene to help you relax if you are a junkie.

Kray

In one of his articles on his website RP says that MagGly lowers serotonin. So if there was a way to ensure that the supplement was clean and without additives then MagGly would be a great supplement to take. As far as i know only one company makes a properly chelated supplement like that and it has a patent on it. The rumor is that all other vendors on the market just sell plain magnesium and glycine mixture without the elements being chemically bonded. I took some of the non patented versions and i have to say that it gave me some pretty bad nightmares. Very similar in experience to melatonin, which i was taking years before stumbling onto RP. IMO the best magnesium supplement is magnesium bicarbonate, which like sodim bicarbonatr has some additional benefits due to the CO2 it provides. Not to mention that it is much more absorbable than the magnesium pills of any form. Just google magnesium bicarbinate and you will find recipes for making it at home. For me personally it gives me an insane libido boost and i sleep like a 5 year old when i take it. Anyways, here is the RP article that talks about MagGly and a link on hiw to make magnesium bicarbonate:
http://www.acupuncturebrooklyn.com/how- ... nate-water

Aging Eyes, Infant Eyes, and Excitable Tissues
"...There are several prescription drugs that protect against serotonin excess, but thyroid and gelatin (or glycine, as in magnesium glycinate) are protective against the serotonin and melatonin toxicities."

Haidut,

Hopefully you will see this post, since yours was several years ago. I'd like to know if you would still recommend Mag Glycinate as a good source to supplement. Are you allowed to state which brand you referred to if someone asks, as I am? ☺️

Are you still using the Mag Bicarbonate? If so, what have you found to be a good daily intake?

Thanks for your help.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals