Best/safest Form Of Supplemental Magnesium?

Brian

What about using ionic magnesium, such as Natural Calm? It would be active in ATP then, I thought.

I have found diluted magnesium chloride to work extremely well when ATP is probably already decently high, but otherwise to be very poorly retained along with all other forms of supplemental magnesium.

heartnhands

I have found diluted magnesium chloride to work extremely well when ATP is probably already decently high, but otherwise to be very poorly retained along with all other forms of supplemental magnesium.

How do you suggest I or anyone determine if ATP is at optimal levels?

Brian

How do you suggest I or anyone determine if ATP is at optimal levels?

T3 in combination with magnesium, B6 and maybe pregnenolone is probably the quickest way. But I'm trying to find other ways for people I know who aren't interested in using thyroid.

Peata

B6 is supposed to help increase cell uptake of magnesium.

Peata

T3 in combination with magnesium, B6 and maybe pregnenolone is probably the quickest way. But I'm trying to find other ways for people I know who aren't interested in using thyroid.
I'm also using pregnenolone with magnesium in the a.m. I'm one of those interested in this without using thyroid.

heartnhands

I'm also using pregnenolone with magnesium in the a.m. I'm one of those interested in this without using thyroid.

Peta, you mentioned the distinction between magnesium citrate when ATP is already high enough and I'm curious as to how you determine "high ATP"....or am I asking a silly question? Sorry if I'm missing a signal to back off. Being that communicating this way can be disjointed at times I thought you may have missed my question rather than gracefully avoiding answering. In any case no pressure and all is welcome!

Brian

Peta, you mentioned the distinction between magnesium citrate when ATP is already high enough and I'm curious as to how you determine "high ATP"....or am I asking a silly question? Sorry if I'm missing a signal to back off. Being that communicating this way can be disjointed at times I thought you may have missed my question rather than gracefully avoiding answering. In any case no pressure and all is welcome!

I really don't know for sure. It's just my guess based on theory of when ATP should be high or low.

Peata

Did I mention that? I don't remember, it doesn't sound like something I'd know (to be honest), lol. I'm in a bit of a fog today. Can you find the post and quote it to me?

tara

I'll continue to look for something that doesn't have me leaving a trail of tablets all over God's creation when I use the john or change my clothes.
:lol:

I hope to get a real solid handle on this because it seems so essential. If there are any links you have easily at your access or if you can share an effective process for searching for links offered by RP or any other solid source I'd be grateful.
You can use the search box at top right to search this forum.
If you want to search Peat's writing and the interviews so far subscribed, you can use:
- the search box in the relevant subforum here
- the search box on raypeat.com articles page
- Dan' Wich's search page PeatSearch: a Ray Peat-specific search engine - Toxinless

I've had a few occasions recently of loosening extra tight muscles and cramps by applying a couple of drops of magnesium oil (very strong magnesium chloride solution) topically. You can buy the Mg oil, but it's usually cheaper to buy the Mg chloride flakes.

Some people use epsom salt (Mg sulphate) baths to good effect.

I've been liking Mg carbonate recently, but just ran out so back to using stocks of Mg glycinate.

mirc12354

The milk of magnesia + soda water would be Mg bicarbonate, which is not the same as Mg carbonate. I couldn't find clean MoM here, so I bought Mg hydroxide powder from purebulk too (that's what MoM is made of).
Magnesium Bicarbonate

Maybe someone else can answer the other questions.
How much of pure Mg hydroxide did you add to 1 liter soda water?

tara

How much of pure Mg hydroxide did you add to 1 liter soda water?

I've added 3/4-1 tsp to about 1.2 l soda water. Any more powder than this and I get more sediment.
At visionofstrength's recommendation, vigorous shaking every now and then, and chilling it, both seem to help. I stuck mine in the freezer briefly before adding Mg hydroxide, and then again after, long enough for it to just start to freeze slightly, then shook it up again before transferring to fridge. Easier not to have a full bottle, as it fizzes wildly when you fist add the powder. And be ready to cap it quickly. Eventually some sediment seems to settle out over a week or two ofr more if I don't drink it fast enough.

Frankdee20

Magnesium Taurate Capsules by Cardiovascular Research is also a great product supplying 125mg per capsule. Way too many excipients for my liking though, and I read something about arsenic contamination.

Amazoniac

Calcium and Magnesium: Requirements, Health Benefits, Supplement info

"taking extra Vitamin B2 (riboflavin) will increase magnesium uptake by inhibiting sodium and iron. A Magnesium and Vitamin B2 combination can be effective in relieving one-sided Migraines if caused by elevated iron or sodium."

"High amounts of Vitamin B6 will also increase magnesium retention following long-term oral supplementation, while regular Vitamin B6 injections will quickly result in a high magnesium / low calcium ratio, or there is the potential of eventually creating a severe calcium deficiency. This can result in insomnia, heart palpitations, chest pains, depression, mood swings, anxieties, or bone, joint or muscle pains."

Frankdee20

Magnesium Glycinate by Pure Encapsulations has minimal excipients. It is virtually non existent to the bowel, no diarrhea type of reactions. Magnesium Chloride/Acetate 18% solution by Cardiovascular Research is a great liquid form with no excipients other than water.

B

Braveheart

Liquid 1 tsp Mag Chloride from Allergy Research 133mg...Vitacost

x-ray peat

I like magnesium carbonate

not sure if this was already posted
"“Getting enough sodium in the diet helps to retain magnesium, but both of them are lost easily when thyroid function is low; when the thyroid status is good, the requirement for magnesium is easily met by ordinary foods. The things I most often recommend for magnesium are the water from boiling greens such as beet, chard, turnip and kale, and coffee. Magnesium carbonate is a very good supplement, except that it can cause intestinal irritation. People tell me that they don’t have bowel irritation from magnesium glycinate. Either Mg chloride or Mg sulfate with baking soda can be absorbed through the skin.” RP

D

Deleted member 5487

Magnesium carbonate is almost completely insoluble in water, and undissolved cause obivoues gut issues. Has anyone found better alternatives?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom