Best/safest Form Of Supplemental Magnesium?

Jib

I've been using Jigsaw magnesium for months with good results.

I made my own magnesium bicarbonate using seltzer and milk of magnesia. It gave me some bloating and gas and sent me to the bathroom pretty quick even though I was taking modest doses, eg. around 100-200mg at a time.

The Jigsaw has 125mg magnesium per tablet. It's time release so it's much easier on the bowels. I still find if I take two at once, which they recommend, I have this problem.

I don't know why I'm so sensitive to it. But taking 250mg a day of the Jigsaw, by taking one tablet in the morning and one in the evening, and sometimes 375mg a day by taking an additional one midday -- that works well for me.

Taking pure magnesium glycinate or citrate was sending me to the bathroom, even in 100mg doses.

Again...no idea why I have this sensitivity. But the Jigsaw magnesium is the best I've found, and only taking a couple tablets a day, it lasts a long time (240 tablets per bottle).

OP
lindsay

lindsay

koganmj said:
I've heard swimming in the ocean provides "topical" magnesium?

I could see that. I love swimming in the ocean, except I live in a colder climate where the water is not so warm. I think the effect of salt water is very beneficial as well (but I tried salt in the bath water once and that didn't go so well). Great things to consider!

tara

Just stumbled on this about magnesium hydroxide, in case anyone is looking for more ideas on stinky armpits and mouth ulcers:
"Magnesium hydroxide is also used as an antiperspirant underarm deodorant.[13] Milk of magnesia is useful against canker sores (aphthous ulcer) when used topically."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_hydroxide

I'd much rather use magnesium hydroxide than aluminium preparations, so I might give this a try.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

tara said:
Just stumbled on this about magnesium hydroxide, in case anyone is looking for more ideas on stinky armpits and mouth ulcers:
"Magnesium hydroxide is also used as an antiperspirant underarm deodorant.[13] Milk of magnesia is useful against canker sores (aphthous ulcer) when used topically."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnesium_hydroxide

I'd much rather use magnesium hydroxide than aluminium preparations, so I might give this a try.

I came across that info. when I was looking into making bicarbonate! Very useful, thank you! I stopped using deodorant years ago - it took a month or two, but my arm pits seem to have adjusted fine. Also, it's winter right now - come summer this Magnesium hydroxide for under arms will come in very useful!

Peata

Magnesium hydroxide is a great deodorant. I use the plain Milk of Magnesia. While my underarms are still wet from it, I dust with baking soda if I want extra protection.

The bottle I use is a store brand generic and contains only magnesium hydroxide and purified water.

tara

heartnhands

This is what I got. Can't speak to quality, but it's intended for human consumption, and kilo of powder will last a while.
Magnesium Carbonate Powder - Pure Bulk Supplements
WOW , thanks this is terrific. For some reason I'm just getting this. I'm in such need I'll get this now.

Thanks again Tara. Anything you know about getting the dosage appropriate I'll be glad to read. Hope all is going well for you.

tara

Anything you know about getting the dosage appropriate I'll be glad to read.
If you get this one, the packet should list how much powder you need (in mg and tsp) to get how much Mg. A reasonable starting place may be to aim for ~400mg Mg per day, hopefully a good part of it from food, and supplementing as needed, preferably split over day. You might need more than ~400mg - some people say they do. Some people get gut irritation from some forms of Mg, and that's a bit individual, so you probably just have to try it and see. If the gut objects, transdermal forms (Mg sulphate or Mg chloride) can avoid that issue.

heartnhands

If you get this one, the packet should list how much powder you need (in mg and tsp) to get how much Mg. A reasonable starting place may be to aim for ~400mg Mg per day, hopefully a good part of it from food, and supplementing as needed, preferably split over day. You might need more than ~400mg - some people say they do. Some people get gut irritation from some forms of Mg, and that's a bit individual, so you probably just have to try it and see. If the gut objects, transdermal forms (Mg sulphate or Mg chloride) can avoid that issue.
Thanks for the reference Tara. At some point last week someone offered a reference about using a particular clean brand of milk of magnesia and blending it with seltzer water. I looked everywhere for the brsnd, I think it was Kruger or something.

I haven't been able to find the thread.

Do you know anything about that magnesium carbonate process? Might you know how to find the safe Brand of Milk of Magnesia or if the other brands are temporarily ok.

I have huge vericosities that have been fine for the last little while, since ordering stuff from idealabs, but I had an episode the other night that has left every step painful. I GRABBED a handful of my old mag. Citrate and kept a few in my hands so the cramps eased and I could sleep but it I'm sure a better form of mag would stop the cramps and start the healing.

Thanks for you response and the help for extending my autonomy.

I recently found a store named Penn Herb Co. LIMITED and they have all sorts of stuff.
They had the flowers of Sulfur I heard RP mention once. MIGHT YOU KNOW what reference he used for its use? I'm curious about how to know when any toxins besides the metabolic imbalance beproduct.

Also, do you know what references RP'S parents used to find that brewers yeast cured his father of diabetes? I wonder where his folks came from. He looks Eastern Russian, but that's just a guess.

Thanks for your time and attention.

tara

Do you know anything about that magnesium carbonate process?
The milk of magnesia + soda water would be Mg bicarbonate, which is not the same as Mg carbonate. I couldn't find clean MoM here, so I bought Mg hydroxide powder from purebulk too (that's what MoM is made of).
Magnesium Bicarbonate

Maybe someone else can answer the other questions.

docall18

I find that magnesium doesnt cause any stomach issues as long as it is fully dissolved. Magnesium is difficult for the stomach to dissolve, and the undissolved grains irritate the stomach lining.

I take Magnesium citrate powder dissolved in water. It is very difficult to dissolve in water. You need to boil and shake it for a while. However once dissolved it is in a form that you can absorb and doesn't cause issues. I also use magnesium chloride dissolved in alcohol hand wash. However it is weak relative to oral use.

Brian

All forms of magnesium are pretty much equivalent in my experience. The central issue is increasing ATP first somehow so that it will actually be able to enter cells.

I've been researching different ways to increase ATP without thyroid. Apparently D-Ribose is fairly effective at that. I'm currently experimenting with them to see how effective it is.

I'm really interested in finding ways to increase intracellular magnesium without thyroid supplementation, because there are quite a few people I know who don't want to mess with any of that or topical magnesium oil, so it would be awesome to find a cheap, fool proof way to raise ATP.

Last edited:

heartnhands

All forms of magnesium are pretty much equivalent in my experience. The central issue is increasing ATP first somehow so that it will actually be able to enter cells.

I've been researching different ways to increase ATP without thyroid. Apparently D-Ribose and Xylitol are fairly effective at that at about 1-2 tablespoons per day. I'm currently experimenting with them to see how effective they are.

I'm really interested in finding ways to increase intracellular magnesium without thyroid supplementation, because there are quite a few people I know who don't want to mess with any of that or topical magnesium oil, so it would be awesome to find a cheap, fool proof way to raise ATP.

Thanks for sharing Brian.

Are you thinking that increasing ATP is the same as increasing C02? I'm wondering because I have been thinking that increasing C02 is synonymous with maximum metabolism. My assumption may be simplistic so I'm hoping to fill out my working theory with more actual understanding.

Thanks for responding.
Yours truly.
heartnhands

heartnhands

The milk of magnesia + soda water would be Mg bicarbonate, which is not the same as Mg carbonate. I couldn't find clean MoM here, so I bought Mg hydroxide powder from purebulk too (that's what MoM is made of).
Magnesium Bicarbonate

Maybe someone else can answer the other questions.

Thanks tara.
I'm not familiar with the different ways magnesium works but a long time ago I had a Solgar form of "magnesium tourate" which seemed to work but I haven't seen it lately. I've been using Magnesium Citrate for desperately painful night cramps but it causes such quickening bowel that it also probably tossed out plenty of good nutrition.

Oddly I noticed that just holding the huge oval tablets in my hand before swallowing seemed to diminish cramps so I've started tossing a few tabs in my bra and panties and haven't had cramps since. If you know anything about Mag. Citrate or why the under ware application is working I'd be all interested.

While this is fine for now and for using what I've already spent good money on, I'll continue to look for something that doesn't have me leaving a trail of tablets all over God's creation when I use the john or change my clothes.

Miles of smiles to you and yours!

Brian

Thanks for sharing Brian.

Are you thinking that increasing ATP is the same as increasing C02? I'm wondering because I have been thinking that increasing C02 is synonymous with maximum metabolism. My assumption may be simplistic so I'm hoping to fill out my working theory with more actual understanding.

Thanks for responding.
Yours truly.
heartnhands

I don't really fully understand it myself, but my understanding is that ATP allows for more oxidative phosphorylation, which results in a lot more CO2 production. And since increased ATP allows more magnesium to enter the cell, that in turn allows more ATP to be produced. I would guess they probably all stimulate each other through positive feedback.

heartnhands

Wow Tara thanks for the details you offered here.

I hope to get a real solid handle on this because it seems so essential. If there are any links you have easily at your access or if you can share an effective process for searching for links offered by RP or any other solid source I'd be grateful.
Thanks for your generous patience!

Miles of smiles.
Enjoy this beautiful Spring day!

Peata

What about using ionic magnesium, such as Natural Calm? It would be active in ATP then, I thought.

heartnhands

I don't really fully understand it myself, but my understanding is that ATP allows for more oxidative phosphorylation, which results in a lot more CO2 production. And since increased ATP allows more magnesium to enter the cell, that in turn allows more ATP to be produced. I would guess they probably all stimulate each other through positive feedback.

Thanks Brian.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom