Best/safest Form Of Supplemental Magnesium?

lindsay

I was using the Natural Calm magnesium citrate for awhile and I liked it - usually helped to create a comfortable bowel movement at a small enough dose (like maybe 175 mg). However, it's kind of pricey and there are lots of cheaper magnesium supplements on the market. What's the safest for continual or semi-continual usage? I didn't use magnesium citrate every day. I don't want to be drinking tons of espresso in the afternoon - it interrupts my sleep. I've been particularly wondering about epsom salts in small doses because they are really cheap and easier than making magnesium bicarbonate water with milk of magnesia.

Any input welcomed. Thanks!

loess

I hope I am not being unnecessarily redundant as I imagine you're aware of it and I have posted in other threads about it...but if you have not tried using magnesium oil made from magnesium chloride bath flakes, it is well worth the daily effort, at least in my experience!

OP
lindsay

lindsay

loess said:
I hope I am not being unnecessarily redundant as I imagine you're aware of it and I have posted in other threads about it...but if you have not tried using magnesium oil made from magnesium chloride bath flakes, it is well worth the daily effort, at least in my experience!

Loess, do you apply it topically? In the past when I've used magnesium oil topically, it didn't feel good on my skin. Still, I'm all ears as to your method, or if you want to point me to the correct thread? Thanks!

OP
lindsay

lindsay

gummybear said:
Just use a cheaper brand of magnesium carbonate

I guess I shall take a look for one. I wanted to make my own with carbonated water and milk of magnesia, but I can't find a milk of magnesia without sodium hypochlorite.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Eggshell and oyster shell.

Duh this is a magnsieum thread. :doh

OP
lindsay

lindsay

Charlie said:

do they both have magnesium or is the eggshell for calcium and the oyster shell for magnesium? I get plenty of calcium, so I just really need magnesium....

loess

Yes, I apply it topically, all over and under my arm pits. It does irritate my skin slightly but I simply rub it in and let it absorb for a few minutes, then rinse off with water...immediately after rinsing it doesn't leave any residual feelings of irritation or any redness. In order to try and maximize the absorption I usually will use a dry skin brush before applying to get my pores open and warm and get the blood flowing. I posted about it here and here.

Do you have a CVS or Walgreens near you? Both of those carry milk of magnesia without additives, it's under their own generic brand names (CVS brand or Walgreens brand).

Gl;itch.e

I've used lots of types and really it was getting more of the calcium and sodium that made the difference for me. I now supplement with magnesium carbonate which though apparently poorly absorbed (if you believe the supplement company claims) I do very well with. I've never had any real laxitive effects from any kind of magnesium though.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
lindsay said:
Charlie said:

do they both have magnesium or is the eggshell for calcium and the oyster shell for magnesium? I get plenty of calcium, so I just really need magnesium....

Haha my bad. :lol: Definitely its for calcium.

tara

lindsay said:
gummybear said:
Just use a cheaper brand of magnesium carbonate

I guess I shall take a look for one. I wanted to make my own with carbonated water and milk of magnesia, but I can't find a milk of magnesia without sodium hypochlorite.

The milk of magnesia is for making magnesium bicarbonate. Magnesium carbonate you can buy as a powder. There is a thread suggesting mag bicarbonate may be one of the best absorbed forms. I have not yet tried it.

I use magnesium glycinate (1/2 tsp for about 400 mg magnesium) most days with no laxative effect.
I sometimes swap some of it out for mag. carbonate. I'm not sure, but I think this has a laxative effect for me at a lower dose. I have no idea how much of it I am absorbing, but I think it is doing something, so I guess I'm getting some.

I got mine from purebulk dot com.

Leafy greens also have some magnesium. I think there is some in the clorophyll molecule, which I've heard is a very usable form.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

loess said:
Yes, I apply it topically, all over and under my arm pits. It does irritate my skin slightly but I simply rub it in and let it absorb for a few minutes, then rinse off with water...immediately after rinsing it doesn't leave any residual feelings of irritation or any redness. In order to try and maximize the absorption I usually will use a dry skin brush before applying to get my pores open and warm and get the blood flowing. I posted about it here and here.

Do you have a CVS or Walgreens near you? Both of those carry milk of magnesia without additives, it's under their own generic brand names (CVS brand or Walgreens brand).

Thanks for the info. Loess! I'm afraid I went to CVS earlier today and was really disappointed to see Sodium Hypochlorite on the list of "other ingredients", especially because I had read a few places online that their store brand was without additives. Perhaps the Sodium hypochlorite is too little to really bother worrying about, but I'm not sure if it will affect making my own bicarbonate. Although, it's technically bleach, which kind of bothersome.

loess

OP
lindsay

lindsay

loess said:
Are you sure you weren't looking at the Philips brand which they put on the shelf there literally right next to the CVS one. The one you want is this one: http://www.cvs.com/shop/health-medicine ... uid-305623

Unfortunately, I checked very carefully - every bottle on the shelf had the sodium hypochlorite in it. Even just the plain CVS brand. Maybe if I order it online, it doesn't?????

treelady

I think Ray Peat says it is more important to RETAIN the magnesium you have (or something like that) and that salt is good for that. Being hypothyroid I loose salt easily so I muscle test salt whenever I think of it or if I notice sensitivity to noise, twitching, cramps or have a craving for something salty. When my body wants it, I take a couple moist finger tips of it. While I still take a magnesium supplement, I have noticed I need less magnesium since doing the salt thing. If I have insomnia magnesium/salt is one of the first things I go for. And because I have epilepsy (hopefully it is gone) I make sure my body has plenty of magnesium.

As for which form is best, I think it probably varies by person. I muscle test to see which one my body wants. I use the magnesium oil but not every day. I used to take magnesium glycinate, then I read magnesium taurate is good for epileptics so I got some and my body always chooses it over the other types I have. The brand I got, KAL® Magnesium Taurate+, has B6 in it so that may be why. They say there may be a synergistic relationship between Magnesium and Vitamin B-6.

OP
lindsay

lindsay

treelady said:
I think Ray Peat says it is more important to RETAIN the magnesium you have (or something like that) and that salt is good for that. Being hypothyroid I loose salt easily so I muscle test salt whenever I think of it or if I notice sensitivity to noise, twitching, cramps or have a craving for something salty. When my body wants it, I take a couple moist finger tips of it. While I still take a magnesium supplement, I have noticed I need less magnesium since doing the salt thing. If I have insomnia magnesium/salt is one of the first things I go for. And because I have epilepsy (hopefully it is gone) I make sure my body has plenty of magnesium.

As for which form is best, I think it probably varies by person. I muscle test to see which one my body wants. I use the magnesium oil but not every day. I used to take magnesium glycinate, then I read magnesium taurate is good for epileptics so I got some and my body always chooses it over the other types I have. The brand I got, KAL® Magnesium Taurate+, has B6 in it so that may be why. They say there may be a synergistic relationship between Magnesium and Vitamin B-6.

Thank you for your input treelady!! And yes - RP favors retaining magnesium over supplementing (as with most things). I really just want to come up with a supplement for those days I feel I need it, but not every day. I eat salt to cravings, so I'm sure I get plenty (I am a salty cheese lover). And I've been drinking more strong coffee, which helps. But other than coffee, my only magnesium source is OJ and occasional kale. And perhaps it's in my protein sources too, when I eat meat. I mostly notice it helps keep bowel movements regular, as well as it helps with muscle soreness and overall estrogen dominance issues. That's another big problem for me. Thanks for your Magnesium Taurate supplement info - I might look into that!

treelady

On 2nd thought Lindsay... You may not want those KAL® Magnesium Taurate+ pills. They are huge, almost too big to swollow.

Poppyseed13

Hello. I take several kinds of magnesium every day:
Magnesium Glycinate (Doctor's Best) --excellent
Magnesium Malate (Source Naturals)--excellent
Magnesium Oil (Swanson Ultra)--excellent

and occasionally, Magnesium Citrate (Natural Calm/Natural Vitality)--good, but often causes liquidy bm

Cheers,
Poppyseed13

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals
Back
Top Bottom