Magnesium Oxide Is (surprisingly) Better Than Citrate

TheSir

I simply use pure MG Chloride flakes and create my own MG spray .... Also this is much cheaper than any tablets ....

Of all supplements i ever tried the MG spraying on in my body has the most effects , i love the combo of Activated charcoal, cascara and MG oil .... keep the stools going while cleansing my gut .....
Do you find that it leaves a powdery residue of unabsorbed magnesium on your skin once the water evaporates? At what ratio do you mix water and magnesium chloride? Do you rub it all over your body?

Kray

No. I meant I’m no longer taking the LEF one. I like their supplements also and they used to have one which was magnesium oxide only, but have since switched it to include succinate and citrate in it. So because I’ve had problems with citrate I‘m staying away from it.

This is the one I used from natural stacks. I forgot it has taurate and glycinate forms as well as L-threonate. Worth a try. MagTech® Magnesium
Thanks for clarifying, and for the name of the brand you are using.

What symptoms were you having from citrate? And do you mean you were having problems with the LEF with only 5mg citrate, or other supplement(s)?

Whichway?

Thanks for clarifying, and for the name of the brand you are using.

What symptoms were you having from citrate? And do you mean you were having problems with the LEF with only 5mg citrate, or other supplement(s)?
I tried a Mg supplement which was Mg citrate only, and had problems with that one. Felt it irritated my intestines.

Where do you get this figure of only 5mg of citrate in the LEF product. I cannot find a breakdown anywhere of how much of each of the Mg forms is in that product, only that it has oxide, citrate and succinate.

Kray

I tried a Mg supplement which was Mg citrate only, and had problems with that one. Felt it irritated my intestines.

Where do you get this figure of only 5mg of citrate in the LEF product. I cannot find a breakdown anywhere of how much of each of the Mg forms is in that product, only that it has oxide, citrate and succinate.
Sure- here is the link where I found it (the rep also confirmed the same amounts when I called for information). Scroll down under "Reviews/Q&A". There is a question asking amounts of each form of Magnesium. Hope that helps.

Jonk

Old thread but giving it a shot. A lot of people being positive to magnesium oxide - is it safe to assume this would be interchangeable with magnesium hydroxide? I've tried magnesium bicarbonate and almost immediately starting to pee alot, even with a rather weak solution. Thinking it might have something to do with the pH. So because I already have a bucket of mag hydroxide and only oxide I can find in Sweden is for horses lol, thought it might be the same? Oxide + water = hydroxide? Thanks if anyone sees this

ddjd

This study suggests that zinc oxide is absorbed just as well as zinc sulphate when used to fortify tortillas
Bioavailability of zinc oxide added to corn tortilla is similar to that of zinc sulfate and is not affected by simultaneous addition of iron

Zinc oxide is insoluble in water but does dissolve in hydrochloric acid (stomach acid). So my thinking is zinc oxide is probably fine but best taken with food to stimulate stomach acid. This also applies to magnesium oxide.
I'm also interested in knowing why zinc oxide is supposedly bad to ingest???

AinmAnseo

Forum Supporter
Magnesium oxide is (surpringly) better than citrate – RCT March 2012 | Vitamin D Wiki

Comparison of magnesium status using X-ray dispersion analysis following magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate treatment of healthy subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

The magnesium content in food consumed in the Western world is steadily decreasing. Hypomagnesemia is associated with increased incidence of diabetes mellitus, metabolic syndrome, all-cause and coronary artery disease mortality. We investigated the impact of supplemental oral magnesium citrate versus magnesium oxide on intracellular magnesium levels ([Mg2+]i) and platelet function in healthy subjects with no apparent heart disease. In a randomized, prospective, double-blind, crossover study, 41 (20 women) healthy volunteers [mean age 53±8 (range 31-75) years] received either magnesium oxide monohydrate tablets (520 mg/day of elemental magnesium) or magnesium citrate tablets (295.8 mg/day of elemental magnesium) for one month (phase 1), followed by a four-week wash-out period, and then crossover treatment for one month (phase 2). [Mg2+]i was assessed from sublingual cells through x-ray dispersion (normal values 37.9±4.0 mEq/L), serum magnesium levels, platelet aggregation, and quality-of-life questionnaires were assessed before and after each phase. Oral magnesium oxide, rather than magnesium citrate, significantly increased [Mg2+]i (34.4±3 versus 36.3±2 mEq/L, p<0.001 and 34.7±2 versus 35.4±2 mEq/L, p=0.097; respectively), reduced total cholesterol (201±37 versus 186±27 mg/dL, p=0.016 and 187±28 versus 187±25 mg/dL, p=0.978; respectively) and low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol (128±22 versus 120±25 mg/dL, p=0.042 and 120±23 versus 121±22 mg/dL, p=0.622; respectively). Noteworthy is that both treatments significantly reduced epinephrine-induced platelet aggregation (78.9±16% versus 71.7±23%, p=0.013 and 81.3±15% versus 73.3±23%, p=0.036; respectively). Thus, oral magnesium oxide treatment significantly improved [Mg2+]i, total and LDL cholesterol compared with magnesium citrate, while both treatments similarly inhibited platelet aggregation in healthy subjects with no apparent heart disease.

------

i think it is because in previous studies on Mg absorption from various salts they compared them in short term,like few hours, but as this study shows Mg oxide stays in digestive system and dissolves and absorbs slowly.
Pay:
How much magnesium oxide do you take?
I read that 500 mg of mag oxide have 300 mg elemental magnesium, and 75 mg of that can be absorbed. (which is better than other forms)

This also supports your point:

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals