Magnesium Mystery - What Form To Take?

Amazoniac

Lots of interesting info here, most of which is way above my level :writer:
I guess the question that remain is this: is the form of magnesium carbonate potentially harmful, in any way, to anyones knowledge? Or is it very safe to try? Mixed with anything (water, juice, dilluted vinegar)???
Btw- I’ve tried most forms of Mg - including malate, glycinate and threonate, but they either don’t do anything, or they seem to be ”downers”, and do not yield the immediate positive effects that citrate has on me....
It's very safe at low to moderate doses and potentially detrimental at high, if not from what was mentioned, from impurities or competition/laxation. Poor absorbability makes magnesium great at concentrating in the intestinal lumen and drawing water. Added to this, the tendency of magnesium to promote bacterial activity, as opposed to killcium.

I would start with just water to get a sense of how it affects without other factors. Around 100-150 mg of magnesium at a time should be enough, it gets wasteful as you increase the dose.

It can be supplemented with meals, in this case it's better to favor those that don't contain foods that are challenging for you since it may fuel the problem.

Later on, I would try to react with vinegar to know if your response is positive. Acetate is a basic molecule, it can have diverse fates (fatty acid and hormone synthesis, cellular respiration) as opposed to the others that are more specific. The reaction doesn't need to be flawless, it's fine to have some carbonate in excess of acetate if stomach acid is concerned.

The carbonate form allows you to switch to other organic acids when needed, because otherwise you're forced to obtain as much of the ligand as required to get the desirable amount of magnesium. The flexibility will also help you to take it easy when you notice that it's having a negative effect on gut microbes, each organic acid will have a different impact and it's not always good.

If nothing works, I would test Jorge's Magnoil (topical product) because it will avoid indigestion and malabsorption.

Last edited:

shine

Personally I can not tolerate any other form than Mg-taurate. I tried citrate, malate, oxide and bisglycinate.

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@Amazoniac - I really appreciate your detailed input :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
I will start off by mixing about 100mg elemental magnesium from carbonate with still water, just to get a feel of it, if it seems good, perhaps add a small amount of vinegar later on...
The reason why I’m searching hi and lo for another Mg form is because I’ve read that citrate is bad for you (different people give different reasons for this) and the fact that my GI tract is more than ”distressed” at this point, it’s downright broken..

@shine - thank you for sharing about Mg Taurate.... I may give it another shot (despite it being an amino acid... something I tend to be careful with these days..)

OP
Moshi

Moshi

I found something called Magnesium Pidolate....? Anyone tried this form?

EIRE24

Have you tried using Magnesium oil? I rub the magnesium oil into my legs every night and find it definitely makes a difference with sleep, temperature and well being. I would definitely recommend it, also do not have to worry about digestive troubles this way.

OP
Moshi

Moshi

@EIRE24 , thanks, yes I have. Have tried various oils and lotions, they don’t do anything for me.... glad they’re helping you :):

Dave Clark

There is nothing wrong with Mg-oxide. It doesn’t need to be made bioavailable, newer studies indicate that it gets resorbed slowly but surely avid utilized by the organism.

Main advantage of oxide is the relatively large amount of elemental Mg in the complex.
The same goes for carbonate. It needn’t be made more bioavailable prior to consuming. On the co treaty, I think it’s good if it passes the stomach workout reacting much so it doesn’t neutralize to much stomach acid.
Just put it in water and drink it down undisolved as pure power or buy tablets without many excipients and swallow with a bit of water.

Magnesium-bicarbonate is another good choice, can be made with carbonate and pre carbonated soda.

Magnesium gluconate is another organic salt that is mostly well tolerated. But I’m unsure if supplementing gluconic acid is desireable
Since your a fan of Mg oxide, have you ever tried the MicroMag form? MicroMag: A Novel and Highly Bioavailable Magnesium Supplement

LeeLemonoil

Didn’t know that form but always wondered about kind of glucosidation of Mag. This is something in a similar direction.
Im not sure I agree on MgOxide being so poorly available. There are a lot of studies on the pubmed where supplementing Oxide corrected defiencies effectively

boris

I found something called Magnesium Pidolate....? Anyone tried this form?
It's the form that is in idealabs Magnoil (not an oil, it's magnesium in DMSO)
Magnoil - Liquid Magnesium

I rub it on my cleaned (with water and paper towel) stomach in the morning to get bowel movements going. When there is some grime on my skin left it will itch for some minutes, but that dissipates quickly.

Ihor

Does somebody know if there are any chemical reaction ways to improve bioavailability of MgOxide?

Last edited:

Dave Clark

What does everyone think of ReMag?
ReMag sounds good on paper with the mg chloride being in a picrometer size and allegedly being more absorb-able, however, Dr. Dean has not to my knowledge shown any studies proving this assertion, and I haven't found any on-line. So, you are paying more for a product, and have to trust that it works better, or find out by using it if you think it is better. I have used it, but I am not sure that it is much different than regular mg chloride, at least in my experience.

Dobbler

Why no love for citrate? Very good absorption and i think the citric acid amount is very low compared to something like orange juice

Amazoniac

There's no need to buy a separate salt each time. A form such as magnesium carbonate will dissolve in the stomach and everything present in the solution will interact, so it's not needed to react parts in advance if you can stomach the desired counterion (such as taurine) and don't mind dealing with the (carbonate) alkalinization each time. It's why certain amino acids enhance the absorption of these minerals just by being part of the meal.

- Oxalate Toxicity ('Different Calcium Contents and the Required Deviations from the Standard Diet' section)

Amazoniac

ReMag sounds good on paper with the mg chloride being in a picrometer size and allegedly being more absorb-able, however, Dr. Dean has not to my knowledge shown any studies proving this assertion, and I haven't found any on-line. So, you are paying more for a product, and have to trust that it works better, or find out by using it if you think it is better. I have used it, but I am not sure that it is much different than regular mg chloride, at least in my experience.
What's up with that claim?

And if her product is somehow special, aren't nanometer particles already risky? I doubt that it's 100% grass-fed. Being challenged by the skin barrier would be a good thing.
- Picotechnology - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Dave Clark

What's up with that claim?

And if her product is somehow special, aren't nanometer particles already risky? I doubt that it's 100% grass-fed. Being challenged by the skin barrier would be a good thing.
- Picotechnology - Wikipedia
Just to note, her basic liquid formula, which is just mg chloride (picometer), she promotes mostly for internal use. She does have a lotion of some sort, but sells the ReMag for internal use. She claims she can not afford to fund the testing to validate her claims about the picometer size. She/her company is the first one I have even heard use the term picometer in a product. She is a reputable authority from way back on magnesium, but I don't trust her claims on her product.

Amazoniac

Just to note, her basic liquid formula, which is just mg chloride (picometer), she promotes mostly for internal use. She does have a lotion of some sort, but sells the ReMag for internal use. She claims she can not afford to fund the testing to validate her claims about the picometer size. She/her company is the first one I have even heard use the term picometer in a product. She is a reputable authority from way back on magnesium, but I don't trust her claims on her product.
Orally only makes it worse (if that's the case) because the skin should be less permeable than the intestine.

OP
Moshi

Moshi

There's no need to buy a separate salt each time. A form such as magnesium carbonate will dissolve in the stomach and everything present in the solution will interact, so it's not needed to react parts in advance if you can stomach the desired counterion (such as taurine) and don't mind dealing with the (carbonate) alkalinization each time. It's why certain amino acids enhance the absorption of these minerals just by being part of the meal.
There's no need to buy a separate salt each time. A form such as magnesium carbonate will dissolve in the stomach and everything present in the solution will interact, so it's not needed to react parts in advance if you can stomach the desired counterion (such as taurine) and don't mind dealing with the (carbonate) alkalinization each time. It's why certain amino acids enhance the absorption of these minerals just by being part of a meal)

Sooooo...... if I have a jar of pure magnesium carbonate powder.... I could just put the powder in capsules and swallow...? No need for pre-mixing with water/liquid? And then let the Mg carbonate react with my stomach acid, which would then be alkalized in the reaction process?
:bored:

OP
Moshi

Moshi

Sooooo...... if I have a jar of pure magnesium carbonate powder.... I could just put the powder in capsules and swallow...? No need for pre-mixing with water/liquid? And then let the Mg carbonate react with my stomach acid, which would then be alkalized in the reaction process?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals